Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Directed by: David O Russel
Starring: George Clooney, Mark Wahlburg, Ice Cube, Spike Jonze, Nora Dunn

quote:

Plot Outline: In the aftermath of the Gulf War, 4 soldiers set out to steal gold that was stolen from Kuwait, but they discover people who need their help.

I like drat near anything George Clooney is in and this one looked interesting. The trailers I saw portrayed an action movie with buddy movie overtones.
Boy, was that wrong.
This movie inspired me to start thinking about the Iraqi side of things in GW1. Maybe the media can't be trusted to give us the whole truth.
Be warned that this movie has heavy political leanings and if you consider yourself a "supporter" of Gulf War 2 then you may find yourself angered at the damning interpretation of the war and it's relevance to the current war.

Cinematography is excellent, sound is good and acting is above average. Most of the outdoor scenes are processed using the "bleach bypass" method which renders the desert in harsh colors. It really lends a beautiful look to the scenery which juxtaposes with the horror of war.

My only 5.5 to date...

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Amazing imagery, unique story line
CONS: Possibly a little too brutal for some

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Interestingly, this seemed like one of the most mis-marketed movies I'd ever seen. I remember the trailer seemed to portray the movie as an action comedy, a meaningless popcorn film kinda like "The Rock" except taking place in Iraq in 1991.

The movie itself couldn't have been more different. I really enjoyed it a lot, as it showed a perspective on the Iraq war you never saw on CNN.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
^^^^^

Agree, I saw the movie in the theatre expecting it to be really bad (TV trailers made the movie look pretty dumb), but came out very surprised. Bought the DVD upon release and its easily the movie that I watch the most.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

quote:

schmuckfeatures came out of the closet to say:
Interestingly, this seemed like one of the most mis-marketed movies I'd ever seen. I remember the trailer seemed to portray the movie as an action comedy, a meaningless popcorn film kinda like "The Rock" except taking place in Iraq in 1991.

I totally agree. I didn't expect much, but was just blown away when I saw it.

This film is just awesome, on so many levels. The direction/cinematography is great, some of the performances (Spike Jonze in particular, Ice Cube was awesome too) were great, the music is fantastic, there's intelligent political commentary, slapstick humour (and it does both well, and handles the dichotomy well), some great dialogue, solid action scenes...it succeeds on so many levels. The one mark against it is that at times it gets too preachy.

4.5/5

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
On a whim I bought this movie previously viewed for :10bux:, and after watching it I'd have been glad to pay $20. I didn't really get an anti-Gulf War vibe from it in terms of "should we have gotten involved?" or anything related, just kinda anti-war in general. I thought it did a suitable job of showing the horrors of war (not that I'd know what they're like) while at the same time being absolutely hysterical. I really think George Clooney is underappreciated, at least by the general public, who seem to think he's either just a pretty face or a flaming homosexual. Every role I've seen him play has fit him like a glove (though I've heard bad things about his Batman)

Voted 4.5

Aquasol fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 10, 2004

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

One of the most underrated movies of recent years. I think a lot of people wrote this movie off due to the fact that it stars George Clooney, Ice Cube, and Marky Mark, as well as the horribly done adverisements for it when it came out, which is a drat shame since its one of the best movies in recent memory.

5/5

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
One of the things that struck me about this movie was the use of unusual, almost absurd shots. An example are the cross-sectional human-body shots, used when Gates explains to Conrad why getting shot is bad, and later when Troy's lung starts collapsing; this is the kind of thing you'd expect in a bad slasher film and not in a serious war drama, but oddly enough they work. The same with the few scenes of heavy violence.

Interesting side note: All of the extras used to portray Kuwaiti refugees and Iraqi soldiers were actual refugees from the Gulf War.

Very good film. 4/5

IMJack fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 12, 2004

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I avoided Three Kings for a long time, expecting it to be a dumb big-budget summer action flick. And in some ways, that's exactly what it is. But it's also much more. It's a biting satire, a suspenseful heist film, a wacky comedy, a political drama, a human drama, and a strong anti-war statement. And it manages to be all these things with finesse and a great deal of style. My only big gripe with this movie is the acting, where only George Clooney seems to rise above adequate. Rating: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rinse
Dec 19, 2003
Great, great film. Very underrated, witty, and entertaining. I'm a big George Clooney fan and I appreciate Mark Wahlberg's work as well. The foursome of Cube, Clooney, Wahlberg and Jonze we're a great combination...I think they clicked very well on screen. I always seem to forget about this movie, and then I'll catch it on cable television and remember just how good it was. I think it's time to get this on dvd.

5/5