Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kung-fu Yeti
Jul 5, 2004

by Ozma
What a great movie. I honestly think that this is one of the finest movies ever made. It has its flaws, but it's just so well put together and solid. Yeah, the plot is kinda simple and the dialogue is funny ("But I was going to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors :("), but it's charming in a way. You forgive it because the characters themselves are interesting. Plus, not ALL of the acting and dialogue is bad. There's Sir Alec Guiness, James Earl Jones, and Peter Cushing. And Harrison Ford is pretty drat cool.

Darth Vader is one of the most awesome villains EVER. I know I sound like a fanboy, but damnit it's true. His appearance, his breathing, and James Earl Jones' voice all go together to make him one of the awesomest awesomes that ever awesomed. He chokes that one dude with his bare hands, and then later on, makes that one general his bitch using the FORCE! What a memorable character. The cantina scene, too, is one of the most memorable scenes ever put on film. The sheer atmosphere of the whole thing is just incredible. To my knowledge, it's the first time that aliens are handled in this way: just chilling at the bar. Before, aliens were space invaders or some poo poo. But Lucas really injected some originality into the genre. Actually, Lucas did a lot to make SW his own. Some detractors call SW derivative, but even though it derives a lot of inspiration from old space opera, SW still has a lot of original and creative concepts, and manages to be fresh.

Now, maybe the plot is a little simple. I mean, when you think about it, they basically go from Tatooine straight to the Death Star, and then to a final battle. Maybe Lucas could have lengthened it somehow, like maybe they reach Alderaan before it's blown up. That's just my opinion, though. It's still very coherent and compact, and that's just fine.

I give 'Star Wars: A New Hope" a 4.5. A really, really great movie.

The Kung-fu Yeti fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU