Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Directed by: René Laloux
Starring: Various Unknown Voice Actors

The movie flows well from the beginning, explaining the intricate parts of why the characters are in the situations they are in. Intriguing story, amazingly trippy animation. :dominic:

Terr was born to a mother who was killed, seen running in the beginning when the Traags abused her. He eventually becomes the pet of a young female Traag, steals her learning headset and runs off with it. In the wilderness, characterized by the flat plains with psychadelic landmarks and strange animals, he encounters a tribe of wild Oms, translated from the french word Homme (for human).

They learn of a de-Om'ing (where all of the oms in the sector are to be eradicated) and, in fear of their lives, escape to an abandoned rocket depot. On the way, they kill a Traag. This is seen as an outrage by the Traag high council, and all oms are now put under the chopping block. In the rocket depot, with stolen knowledge of the Traag society (using the stolen info-transmitter), they launch two scout-rockets to the Fantastic Planet (which orbits the main planet.)

In order to not ruin it for those who havent seen it - A secret is uncovered, and with this better understanding, everyone learns to live happily ever after.

RATING: 5

PROS: Cool animation, Psychadelic, Original Story
CONS: Abrupt Ending, English subs are always on with English dub, English subs differ from voiced dub

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0070544/

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I first caught this in an art house theatre, and though I was pretty bewildered through a lot of it, I couldn't look away for even a second. One of the most interesting animation films I've ever seen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

One of my favorites during my college years. Saw it again about a year ago, I'd forgotten how completely weird it is. It was my first time watching it in the original aspect ratio (though sadly the DVD is non-anamorphic) and the original French. Very cool little psychedelic gem, but it could've been better animated. Rating: 4

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp
I just saw this movie in english-dubbed and all that I can say is that I am completely blown the gently caress away by how amazing of a film it was and just how goddamn weird it was. Certainly thought provoking and intellectual. I first attempted to watch it when I was high as balls :2bong: but I had to turn it off due to being creeped the gently caress out by the Draags.

Brilliant animated masterpiece, 5/5.

edit: Draags not Traags

Man vs Child fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 16, 2007

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
The first time I saw this movie I had no idea what was going on. I watched it on a French tv channel.
The second time I saw it, it had subtitles. I thought that the movie was really well done. I especially enjoyed the eerie music that played throughout.

The characters and planet is so foreign, but you can't help but feel for the characters.

Overall, this is a really interesting movie if you are in to odd foreign cartoons.

4/5

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

"You can't live on hopes and dreams alone."
I've had a tape of this for as long as I can remember. When I watched it when I was little (age 4-5ish) I thought it was just the most hosed up thing ever. I've watched again maybe a year back and still think it's one of the most hosed up things ever. Movie like this make me wish I did drugs, maybe I would have enjoyed it even more. This movie is also a French movie but I have the english dubbed version of it which if I remember correctly doesn't sound too horrendous or anything. This movie is imaginative, creepy,terrifying and all around weird. It's something I would reccomend everyone to see atleast once.

4/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Very cool animation as said, but the movie itself feels longish even at an 80-minute runtime. The plot is that old "man's hubris" chestnut and unless you're dropping a few licks beforehand, it's a bit of a slag to watch the whole way through. Also, I'd be remiss not to mention the space-funk soundtrack by French jazzmeister Alain Goraguer. "Come on feet!"

Jiggs
May 31, 2001
Where the hell is Bulgaria?
I'm old, so I saw this this movie in it's first theatrical release as a teenager. I thought it was fantastic. Then I saw it again a few years later at a midnight screening with "Eraserhead", and I thought it was fantastic. Then I bought the VHS and played it to death, and when the dvd came out, I bought that. Yeah, I like the movie a little.

This movie was the anti-disney for my rebellious teen years. I liked it even more than "Wizards", which put me on the outs with my friends. The story shown was so far out, it blew my young mind.

I watched it again recently, and it reminded me how safe movies, especially animation, have gotten. I plan to show this to my 5 year son, who has only seen Tom and Jerry, Disney, and some anime.

5/5

JoadsShovel
Jan 10, 2006
I didn't find that book we were looking for, but I did find this bitchin' slammer!
Your local library probably has this- that's where I found the copy I watched. Awe-inspiring. That meditation scene is perfect.

5/5

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Watching this movie is probably as close as I'll ever come to having a flow blown acid trip. Trying to describe it wouldn't be doing it justice. I highly suggest that anyone interested in old-school animation like Wizards or Heavy Metal check this film out. I found it easily with a Google search, as because of it's age many sites host it for public viewing and preservation.

Pros: Trippy animation, good story, fun time while high.

Cons: Can get a little too trippy.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I rate La plančte sauvage as one of my favorite animations and films of all time.. From the story, to the animation to the surreal artwork.

The only sad thing is that I discovered it through watching The Cell.. which I'm ashamed to admit.

5/5