Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: Steven de Souza
Starring: Jean Claude Van Damme, Raul Julia, Kylie Minogue

Steven de Souza, writer of some classic 80s action in the form of Commando and Die Hard, makes either a fatal career step or an ingenious solution to a problem in directing this unpopular live action adaptation of the ground breaking video game Street Fighter II.

Shadaloo is a fictional South East Asian dictatorship ruled over by General M. Bison, a crime lord entertainingly played by the late Raul Julia in his very last film role. Aiming to topple this tyrant is Col. William F. Guile (Jean Claude Van Damme), a soldier working for the U.N. whose best friend Charlie was captured by Bison in order to be transformed into some kind of aggressive super soldier (hello Blanka!).

Along with the fetching Kylie Minogue who plays Guile’s sidekick Cammy, joining in on the chaos are two grifters, Ryu and Ken (Bryon Mann and Damien Chapa), having just arrived in Shadaloo in a search for riches, and a news crew led by assertive reporter Chun-Li Zang (Ming Na) looking for that all important big scoop on the upcoming invasion.

In my opinion, Street Fighter isn’t a bad film per se, it’s just… wrong.

When adapting a video game, fans expect at least some continuity with the original material, and with fighting games this means the inclusion of all your favourite characters. However, with this in mind de Souza valiantly attempts this by shoehorning most of the cast of Super Street Fighter II into the movie, completely changing the backstories of some characters (Dr. Dhalsim? E. Honda the Camera Man?) and trying to make at least some sense of it by wrapping it all up in this fairly silly story that is distinctly aimed for the early teenage male demographic of the game.

When taking this point of view, in retrospect I find Street Fighter to be a somewhat commendable but ultimately mediocre effort in trying to bring what was then a massive phenomenon to the big screen, one which I believe may actually play better today to the young’uns unfamiliar to the game than us guys expecting the second coming of Christ all those years back.

While for the fan Street Fighter would’ve worked much better as an Enter the Dragon-style kung fu tournament movie, an approach I assume the filmmakers might have been trying to avoid considering Mortal Kombat would be released the following year, there’s still some B-grade level fun to be had with the movie, though its all still very, very silly anyway.

2/5

PROS: Might be fun if you’re unfamiliar or not a fan of the game.
CONS: A massive disappointment if you are. Check out the anime adaptation instead.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111301/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Heh, I didn't know this movie had a subtitle. Street Fighter makes very little sense and suffers from trying to fit 30 characters into one storyline, which causes ridiculous things like Col. Guile's best friend, an average soldier, being turned into the green Blanka monster we know through genetic engineering or E. Honda appearing as "that guy with the camera." It's very goofy. At one point General Bison plays out his "evil genius making threats to the world via big screen tv" scene and Guile responds by showing off his bicep and growling, angering Bison because they're both repressed homosexuals or something.

If you're a fan of the videogames you'll be disappointed because they ruin many character's backstories and throw out the idea of a tournament altogether. If you're mildy amused by the games you can enjoy it as a stupid B-movie.

2/5 because this movie killed Raul Julia and that's not cool.

Edit - http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img5/9987/jeanclaudehottie.JPG

Knight fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 8, 2004

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
This movie is loving great in its own right. It has it all: Van Damme, fighting, cheesy lines. What more do you want from an action movie?

So they changed some of the backstories. Who cares? The stories for the game never would have worked well in a two-hour movie.

5/5

ReActor
Jun 1, 2000

MEANIE
When I saw this film I was young and impressionable and not prepared for the crapfest that it turned out to be. I actually felt physically sick when watching it, and almost had to leave because it really was tortuous.

I'm giving it 1/5. Maybe if I saw it again, I'd appreciate why other people have rated it highly, but for now it still just makes me sick.

Cyb
Apr 30, 2004
heh
This is by far the dumbest movie I have ever seen. The action was boring, the acting was awful (excepting Raul Julia who actually made his bad lines sound fairly good) and the plot made no sense (why in the unholy gently caress was Van Damme pretending to be dead under that sheet for like 3 days?! WHY!? AUGGG!!). The only redeeming factor was Raul Julia who was, and always will be, the man. And this movie killed him. drat you Street Fighter: The Movie. drat YOU TO HELL! 0.5/5

edit: oh yeah, I should also mention that I have no familiarity with any of the SF games

Cyb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 20, 2004

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
A really, really horrible movie. Horrible plot, terrible characters and Van Damme playing the same guy he always does.

PROS: Raul Julia, a quite young Kylie that doesn't say much
CONS: pretty much everything else

1/5

dotti
Sep 7, 2002
Sometimes I say things...
This movie made my head hurt and my stomach feel sick. It was that bad.

The Kung-fu Yeti
Jul 5, 2004

by Ozma
I'm sorry, but I don't remember any of it. You see, for 'Street Fighter: The Ultimate Battle', the day it came to theaters was the most important day of its life. But for me? It was Tuesday.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Aside from alot of gayness, i.e. Your rear end is six months over due, and it's mine! You have made me a very happy man!, this film has basically nothing to recommend it. A total turd, even by bad action movie standards. Hell, even by VAN DAMME movie standards. Cinematic diarrhea.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The movie that killed Raul Julia is a poo poo fest. But it is an amazing shitfest. It is one of those movies that is so bad its good and is rather entertaining with its campyness and Raul Julia being awesome as usual.

If you completley turn your brain off and watch it purely to laugh at the silliness then it is rather entertaining.

2.5/5

arrogancy
Dec 2, 2003

by Ozma
It is one of the few movies that are so bad that they're hilarious, ESPECIALLY if you're a big fan of the game and know the characters. For that, i give it my highest recommendation.

5/5

Built for Brutality
May 21, 2004
Can't Break Me
I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up-river, and I'm going to kick that son-of-a-bitch Bison's rear end so HARD... that the next Bison wanna-be is gonna feel it.

That pretty much sums up how awesome this movie is. 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyrabanks
Nov 29, 2002

smoke

quote:

arrogancy came out of the closet to say:
It is one of the few movies that are so bad that they're hilarious, ESPECIALLY if you're a big fan of the game and know the characters. For that, i give it my highest recommendation.

5/5

k
3/5

fyrabanks fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 29, 2013