Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Directed by: Mark Pellington
Starring: Richard Gere

This movie is an interesting one. It carries a creepy, fearful tone that is so thick you can cut it with a knife, but you never really know what you're afraid of, or what is going to happen. The Mothman isn't a ghost per se. It isn't an alien, either, or a mass delusion. Those who see or are in contact with it either die or experience horrible premonitions of death. We never really understand its motives, or get any closure on why it is here, which I think also adds to the tangible creepiness of it.

This movie uses the Hitchcock style of "fear by not showing". You get only the most vague glimpses of mothman, and most are through extremely macabre drawings. Instead, you sense him in the air, on the phone, through the drain of your sink, in your own mind.

This movie holds personal relevance to me, as I've had a recurring dream over 100 times in my life involving an entity I cannot explain. This movie is a testament to dreams like this, and the incredible power of the unknown.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Captures a tangible sense of fear of the unknown. Wonderful use of sound and music to heighten the mood.
CONS: May not be scary to some. Your mileage may vary

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265349/#comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I would have classified this as a horror movie, myself, as this is one of the most frightening movies I have ever seen. The mothman, as LoungieMu said, is never clearly seen except in disturbing sketches and recollections. In fact, that the Mothman represents the unknown in every way is what makes him frightening. You just dont know WHAT it is.

It is an excellent movie that manages and builds the tension in such a way that keeps you constantly interested. Not to mention the telephone conversation Richard Gere has with the Mothman in his dark hotel room, and the story told to Gere by a man who claimed to have been visited by the thing in his sink drain, make for some of the most disturbingly tense horror scenes I have seen in a while, all without showing you a proper monster.

Masterfully done horror and suspense. 4.5

dotti
Sep 7, 2002
Sometimes I say things...
This movie is like the Blair Witch Project, and just doesn't seem to scare some people at all. I don't know why. I was pretty thoroughly creeped out throughout the whole thing.

4/5

Standing8
Nov 18, 2002
Wake up bitch, you're my new best friend.
I really like this movie, I feel that Richard Gere does a remarkable job in it. The visions that you recieve of the mothman are really good too. Never too much, never too little. Its just enough to give you an idea, so you can make it whatever you want.

5/5

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax
This was a really incredible film to see in the theater. Unlike other modern horror films, who serve up their fright with a chorus strike and a sharp movement, this movie really just sets an overall mood of fear and discomfort. In normal horror movies, there are usually moments that you know are "safe", i.e. nothing can happen to the characters. This movie never had any "safe" moments, and the whole thing was rather unsettling.

My only complaint is that it doesn't translate to the small screen very well. When it was rented on my suggestion, my friends who were watching it thought it was boring, and not scary at all. It definitely lends itself to being watched in a dark, cold theatre, where you're going to devote all of your attention to the film.

Rating: 4.5/5

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

The premise is interesting, and it rolls along fairly well until the end. But in my opinion, the ending just ruined everything else. It seemed like the movie was going in a different direction the entire time even though the plot did wrap up fairly well. I think it was mis-cast as well; Richard Gere didn't seem like he worked very well here at ALL.

3/5

superplastic
Feb 23, 2004
Represent The Brown™
I have to say that looking back on it, this film was considerably better than I initially expected. Obviously, many of us are made to expect a final solution, a beginning and an end, but this has neither, really. Not that it's an issue, because even if you don't like it when the film ends, you'll find yourself thinking about it time in and time out down the road... especially when you're driving...

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.
In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated movies in recent years. I really really like it, I saw it twice in the cinema (once with my sister and once with my girlfriend, they both liked it) and I've seen it two or three more times since then. It's one of the creepiest horror/suspense movies I've seen, and I absolutely love how they never fully explain the Mothman, show it (except for a few glimpses) or even try to have it make sense. I've heard a lot of people go "WTF you didn't even get to see the monster or figure out what's going on, it didn't make sense", but to me, that's a good thing. I think it's the point of the movie, basically. A character in the film puts it excellently (I'm paraphrasing):

Klein: "Why don't these creatures come out and explain themselves?"
Leek: "Have you ever tried explaining yourself to a cockroach?"

I really liked the cinematography too, lots of beautiful shots, and it managed to create a mood that I can only describe as "cold".

4.5/5