Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveJB
Jul 21, 2003

Directed by: Kim Henkel
Starring: Renee Zellweger, Matthew McConaughey, Tonie Perensky, Robert Jacks

Texas Chain Saw Massacre was a powerful, effective piece of shock cinema. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 was stupid, but watchable. Leatherface: TCM3 was decent, but butchered (no pun intended) by the studio and MPAA. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation is one of the worst pieces of poo poo ever made.

Take, for instance, the family's motives. In TCM1-3, they simply killed people because they wanted to eat them. In TCM4, however, they do it because some body-modification loving freak wants people to "know the true meaning of horror".

At it's core, the film is a horrific (and not in a good way) fusion of TCM1 and a John Hughes teen comedy. Clueless is also a good comparison, though I'm not using it as TCM4 predates Clueless. Apparently writer/director Kim Henkel thinks that teenagers hide in the back of cars for no reason, think that not having regular sex will result in cancer, and talk about how great it would be if some maniac killed them. Okay, that last bit is partially true, at least from our perspective.

After the group of teens crashes into a car which was driving around, off-road in the woods, they run into the Cannibal Clan, occupied by Darla the Dominatrix (who gives one of the most pointless tit shots in history), a guy who speaks in quotes, a transvestite version of Leatherface, and McConaughey's character, Vilmer. McConaughey does a reasonably good job playing Vilmer, and gives the part some conviction. Unfortunately, he has to spout out some of the worst lines ever written. You probably won't be surprised to find out that Henkel (the co-writer of TCM1) didn't find much work between TCM1 and TCM4, and after TCM4 never worked on another film. Also, he evidently decided that "horseshit brown" was his desired colour scheme for the film.

Renee Zellweger (younger and chunkier) doesn't come off too well, though isn't outright bad. The other teens, however, have the combined acting skills of one of my fingernails. I'd have been glad to see them dead, if the kills weren't either lame or ripped-off from TCM1.

And the ending blows chunks like you would not believe - Vilmer chases Zellweger's character down the road, then a plane swoops down for no reason and hits his head with its propeller. Leatherface then does his chainsaw-swinging act for several hours (seriously). Then, Henkel can't even get a cameo by Marilyn Burns (TCM1's heroine) right, as instead of having her in the background, he shoves the cameo in our face, practically saying "Look! LOOK!! It's Marylin Burns! MARYLIN BURNS!! LOL, I AM SO CLEVER!!!!!".

So, stay the gently caress away from this! The only good thing about it (asides from McConaughey's performance) is that TCM 2 and 3 look decent compared to this crap.

RATING: 1

PROS: Good performance by McConaughey
CONS: Everyone acts like a moron, crappy direction, stupid plot, bad acting

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110978/combined

DaveJB fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 8, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sir, you are correct in your review. A buddy and I watched this piece of crap before we watched the original, and I think that made our 14 year-old minds not appreciate the first one as much. Almost a decade later, I've finally started going back to the series.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~
complete piece of garbagey poo poo-filled booger sauce

MadSketcher
Aug 7, 2002

A plague of faggotry upon thee!
It was horrible but I couldn't stop watching it. I'll never watch it again, though. It has a train wreck style viewing quality to it. 0/5