Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aliks
Nov 20, 2003
efflorescent
i live in a very secular area, and so i never really saw this as a religious film. it's about a guy, and about relentless physical pain. i didn't have any problem with the gore, i was expecting to be more shocked than i was. i didn't have any problem with this being a non-traditional film, in fact that's a good thing. if you voted .5 because you wanted a standard 3 act story, that's fine, but it didn't bother me. i agree that the music could have been better, and the lighting was horribly meladramatic, but other than that, it's not a terribly flawed film.

on the plus side, i've always been a big Jim Cazeviel fan, and i hope this film doesnt gently caress up his career (although he is getting weirder looking and might end up pulling a malcolm mcdowel or jon voight). also, it's a fascinating bit of historical filmmaking. i really loved the authenticity, the dusty, spare camera shots, the archaic languages.

i won't ever watch it again, and the more i think about it, the more i realise that some parts were tv-movie-of-the-week-ish. mary and the roman soldiers come to mind. that would bother me on a re-viewing, but they didn't the first time. still, it was everything it needed to be.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU