Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Directed by: Willard Carroll
Starring: Angelina Jolie, Sean Connery, Dennis Quaid, Gillian Anderson (and more)

To date, I think I've shown this movie to about 30 people.

2 haven't liked it.

Granted, that's a logical fallacy, and would never traditionally recommend a movie based upon the bandwagon concept of "if everyone likes it, so should you."

The cast is what originally made me want to see it, and is as follows:

Gillian Anderson
Ellen Burstyn
Sean Connery
Anthony Edwards
Angelina Jolie
Jay Mohr
Ryan Phillippe
Dennis Quaid
Gena Rowlands
Jon Stewart
Madeleine Stowe
Nastassja Kinski
Amanda Peet

Now, some movies have big casts, but rarely are they used effectively (i.e. The Thin Red Line). In this particular film every cast member plays a part in a major character's vignette which will eventually be tied together in the end. Not only this, but Angelina Jolie never has before or since looked more do-able than in this movie. The lines that she delivers fit her personality flawlessly and they are delivered in the same manner.

Some of the dialogue is very Dawson's Creek-ish in the sense that it feels very scripted, as if people are talking in monologue, but it's done so well that you can't help but smile at it.

The movie essentially tells the story of 4 generations of people falling in love (and one love's ending), and how all those stories tie together. It's not hard to figure out how to tie it together, so if you do happen to watch this film, don't spend a whole lot of brain activity trying to figure it out. When it is revealed, it's not that big of a deal or a surprise.

This movie does have some very heart-wrenching moments, and I will admit to bawling like a bitch at some points. Definately good for watching with a girl and writing an E/N thread afterward (at least in this case you may get head beforehand).

RATING: 5

PROS: Touching, funny, date-flick that has me bawling like a bitch every time I watch it.
CONS: Some people find the dialogue a little too contrived.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145734/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santa Claus
Jul 21, 2001
jesus eats the whale
I too love Playing by Heart, and have shown it to a lot of people. I don't think it's perfect, and there are certain scenes which feel overly contrived and "movie-like". The most interesting vignettes were the ones with Angelina Jolie and Gillian Anderson. Dennis Quaid's different "characters" were interesting, too. Mostly, I just love this movie because it's fun to watch, the characters are likeable, and the story is clever and moving. It may not be a masterpiece, but I love it anyway, and it remains one of my favorites to this day.

4/5

Also, it's probably just because I'm a clueless idiot, but the ending where everything comes together took me completely by surprise. I wasn't even suspecting it. "Ohhh! Nooow it all makes sense..."