Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Directed by: Thomas Vinterberg
Starring: Ulrich Thomsen, Henning Moritzen

Festen (aka The Celebration) is one of the most amazing, powerful movies I have seen in my life. Vinterberg is a Dogma 95 director, a group that adheres to a strict set of rules for their movies. These rules don't allow the director to use outside sound or special effects, to name a few restrictions. The end result is an increased focus on plot and characters.

On to the plot. A Danish family is reuiniting for the father's 60 birthday. At the celebratory dinner, a toast is given by Christian, a son. In it, he reveals that his father had abused him and his sister who recently committed suicide. As the movie progresses, more and more family secrets are revealed and the family attempts to face them.

I cannot describe how imperative it is that each and every one of you see this movie. I have not been able to find it on DVD but I did find a used VHS copy a few years ago. If anyone else has seen this movie, please help me convince other goons of its brilliance.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: brilliant acting, amazing character development
CONS: subtitles might bother some people

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0154420/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Compelling family drama in the Dogme 95 style. This is the first Dogme film apparently, and the style does suit the material well. The handheld documentary feel plops you in the middle of the awkward and uncomfortable situation. Some bits are a little overdone (the "Sambo" song, for instance, was unnecessary and less than genuine) but overall I thought it was pretty good. These Danes seem to have a strong sense of justice that I find appealing. Rating: 3.5