Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toolboi
Jul 24, 2002

I want to love this movie. I loved the book, it is directed by one of my favorite directors, scored by one of my favorite musicians, got one of my favorite small time actors (Rutger Hauer), and has a real cyberpunk edge to it. The begining is excellent, and the last 15 minutes may be the best 15 minutes of any movie ever (assuming we're talking about the directors cut). However the plot doesnt really cut it, its just not very good. Meanwhile, the characters have no real development (well, Fords character has a little, and of course Roy Batty undergoes a rather large change), so you cant really pull this as a character peice. About all it has going for it is the message about what makes some one human, and even that is kinda tacked onto the plot.

I still love the movie. Great music, amazing directing, and as I said the last 15 minutes are some of the best there have ever been. The tears in rain speech, followed by "its too bad she wont live, but then again who does...", and then that excellent ending of the doors closing, leaving the future of the characters undetermined. Hell, the whole movie is one string of great scenes. I guess thats what it is, it isnt a plot peice, nor a character peice, its a series of great scenes.

Of course the rest would probably have been there too if they hadnt run over budget and been forced to cut a whole bunch of it (including a nice scene from the book about a police station).

However I can still only give it 4.5. As much as I love this film, it just seemed lacking in certain areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU