Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

I just saw this yesterday morning in the cinema (it's only just come out here in England). I was lucky and they were showing it on the big screen (any london goons, go to the Trocadero and catch it there).

This film sucked me in from the off. I can't really say a bad thing about it. Various gripes like the 15 year imprisonment for a teenage indescretion being unbelievable were blown away for me by the acting. I COULD believe that guy was twisted enough. loving hell, the last we see of him in the elevator, where he has a flashback tore me apart.

This film was so much more than a set of action sequences, a few gimmicks and some neato camera. The important thing is that it worked as a whole. I didn't see some of the major twists coming, mostly because I was enjoying the ride so much. I was in the moment with these characters all the way.

Maybe I was in the right mind set for it (11.50 showing after 3 hours sleep the night before and some relationship drama), but this film really shook me. I could only remember being similarly affected by Man Bites Dog.

5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

nyquil posted:

Two things I didn't really like about this movie was that, like said before, the 15 years imprisonment didn't feel like 15 years. It moved way too fast, it felt like a few months, tops.

The second thing was the hypnosis at the end. Some may disagree, but I think it would have been a bit more interesting if they left it being him knowing that she's his daughter, and her left in the dark about. I think it would have gripped me a bit more, and it felt like a bit of a let-down. I guess relief is needed after tension, though. I'm actually not sure whether or not the hypnosis was a good or bad thing to put in... I'm so torn Then again, I'm not very adept at critiquing a film.

The hypnosis at the end, I really liked, because it shows how he hasn't really changed. He's still a coward and is taking the easy way out.