Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Directed by: Godfrey Reggio
Starring: Reality

This film, for those who do not know, is a large collection of time lapse photography shot in various locations throughout the US, with a musical score written by Phillip Glass put over it. The first of a trilogy by Godfrey Reggio. If this alone does not make you want to watch the movie, I'm not sure how else to convince you.

I saw this film first several years ago, and cried literally for an hour straight afterwords. By far, the most.... I would say moving, but I don't think that's exactly what it is..... terrifying, maybe... movie I've ever seen. The kind of movie that just makes you step back and say.... man, what the hell are we doing. what the hell have we done.

I believe in some trailer, the tagline was, "until now, you've never truly seen the world you live in", and I think that was about as good of an explanation of the film that could be given. Please, don't watch any trailers, don't do any more research, (it might make you less likely to see it, or pretty much ruin the film).. just go out and find this film at your local indie movie rental place, or bittorrent it, and watch.

edit - I forgot to mention, the name of this film translates roughly as "Life out of balance."

Links to other qatsi films
Powaqqatsi : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1050981
Naqoyqatsi : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1051003

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Amazing directing, great shots, awesome score.
CONS: can be boring if you're not into it. but how could you not be into it?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m5
Oct 1, 2001
People have asked when I've recommended this movie, "What's it about?" Well, that's hard to say. Recently I've begun to think that the whole movie is like a single word; the flow of images and the layers of concept like the nuance of a single, big, word, a word in a language you don't know you know. Thus, you can't know the answer to the question, "What's it about?" without seeing it - the movie is the only answer to the question.

LRonKoontz
Sep 29, 2002
I don't know what to say about this movie, other than it is totally awesome. I am a big fan of Phil Glass, and this is a wonderful 2 hour music video.

This is a must see for any Phil Glass fan.

rating: 5/5

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Certainly an interesting movie and could probably be quite moving. Defientely worth checking out.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The most interesting thing about the musical score is that throughout the entire thing, it doesn't change. It's the same repition of a simple sequence of (I think) 4 notes, done in different keys with different pacing, but you barely even notice unless you pay special attention to it. I saw this in one of my college art classes, and loved it.

Aliks
Nov 20, 2003
efflorescent
i would just like to say that this trilogy is brilliant and moving even if, like myself, you don't get worked up over leftish issues. the message behind the imagery is actually left pretty ambiguous, and the filmmakers deserve a lot of credit for letting the images speak for themselves and not making the film preachy.

also, koyananisqatsi is the better film, but naqoiqatsi has the best score

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This movie was recently shown at the Arkansas Gov. School program as an Area 2 (Critical thinking/introspective psychoanalysis) required film. It is an incredibly moving piece of cinimatography, and I will be adding it (along with its two predecessors) to my personal DVD collection as soon as possible.

There are few words that can describe this amazing feat of emotive, evocative masterwork: it is imperitive that any and every one see this film, if not for the powerful message of tragedy, hope, and change, then for the sublime artistic value alone.

5/5!

Edit: My favorite definition of the word Koyaanisqatsi is "A way of life that requires a new way of life;" going into the movie with that translation results in a very impactful film.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 6, 2004

Mooray
Jun 28, 2004
Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
If you like this, check out Baraka. In my opinion Baraka is much better.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

This is perhaps my favorite movie ever, simply for its acute mind-opening power. To put it mildly, this movie changed my view of the world with one viewing. I own the trilogy on DVD, and this is my favorite of the three.

5.5/5

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

quote:

Mooray came out of the closet to say:
If you like this, check out Baraka. In my opinion Baraka is much better.

Agreed. But Koyaanisqatsi is a very very good movie. I have yet to see the other two Qatsi films.

4/5

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
I tried to watch Koyaanisqatsi, but the Philip Glass score was just too out there for me to take it seriously. I kept cracking up whenever they started chanting "Koyaaaaanis-qatsiiiii" and had to stop the DVD.

I also agree that Baraka is far, far better.

VVV Hey, sorry. It's still a review--if I couldn't take watching more than twenty minutes of the movie, then maybe someone else thinking of watching this might be interested in reading that before they rent it? Or is that not the purpose of the Film Dump?

FuzzyDunlop fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 6, 2004

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

quote:

RepoRebo came out of the closet to say:
I tried to watch Koyaanisqatsi, but the Philip Glass score was just too out there for me to take it seriously. I kept cracking up whenever they started chanting "Koyaaaaanis-qatsiiiii" and had to stop the DVD.

Considering this only happens in the first few minutes of the film, and then again at the end, I cannot imagine your review holds much weight....

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
Reply =! edit

FuzzyDunlop fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2004

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
while i did not see the entire movie, i watched some parts of it in my film class, and the peices of film combined with the music, is in a word, awesome.

will have to watch the whole thing sometime.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Awesome movie. If you get into it (which most people will), the use of music and film becomes a meditative experience. The final sequence with the launch always moves me.

5/5

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

m5 came out of the closet to say:
"What's it about?" without seeing it - the movie is the only answer to the question.
Additionally, it really needs to be seen in a theatre, where the viewer is committed to sitting in one place and paying attention to the visuals.

In keeping with the forum's policy of helping readers decide if they'd like a movie or not*:
If you like Koyaanisqatsi, there's another, similar type of movie called Gambling, Gods and LSD

And another overlooked gem; more about sociology and with commentary, there's the beautifully filmed and unique, around-the-world-with-music DVD, 1 Giant Leap

*Not much point in doing a seperate thread for each of these movies.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm still sorting through what I just watched, but it definately is one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Philip Glass's score is so mind-bendingly awesome that it hurts; it's a shame more people don't see the benefits of minimalism. The imagery combined with the score just works so well it's almost scary. While I was watching the movie I was thinking "Man, this isn't that great." However, afterwards, I felt totally floored. And after watching the DVD commentary I really felt like I got it. I can't recommend this movie enough to people who aren't closed-minded.

9.5/10

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
While I can't offer a review, I can suggest that anyone in Sydney get tickets to the Opera House Screenings with a full Philip Glass orchestral ensemble:

My GBS post about it here.

I can't wait.

Hubudooba
Aug 3, 2004

laggin and teabaggin

quote:

Admiral came out of the dusty outback to say:
While I can't offer a review, I can suggest that anyone in Sydney get tickets to the Opera House Screenings with a full Philip Glass orchestral ensemble:

I can't wait.

Dang, another good reason to go to Australia!!!

This is one of my favorite films. In the top 10 all time best. I can't get enough, like a good CD, it gets better every time you experience it.

I agree, "Baraka" is a very good movie to see along this vein also.

Hubudooba fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 14, 2004

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.
One of the most incredible films I've ever seen, really kind of earth-shattering for me and very inspirational.

5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corlicht
Sep 30, 2004
I'd been listening to the Philip Glass score for about a year now, but I didn't get around to seeing it until about a week ago. The images and the acompanying soundtrack blended together seamlessly. It's definitely a groundbreaking and memorable film.

5/5