Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Bernard McEveety
Starring: Strother Martin, Charles Bateman, Ahna Capri

In The Brotherhood of Satan, widower Ben (Charles Bateman) and his new wife Nikki (a really hot looking Ahna Capri) spot a car wreck along a road in a shady small town. Soon, the couple's daughter is possessed and joins other children of the town in a "dream world" orchestrated by a cult of Satan's minions. The cult is comprised of senior citizens looking to possess the children's bodies to carry on with Satan's work. The town doctor (Strother Martin) lives a double life as the high priest of this cult.

The movie is horribly dated both in special effects and in the general values of its characters. It's really strange watching a movie nowadays where the lead actress isn't an "empowered female." Ahna Capri appears in a bikini at the beginning of the film, immediately leaving two soft, nurturing impressions on me--but besides looking pretty, she has absolutely nothing to do.

Strother Martin is one of my all-time favourite character actors, and he really shows off that jowly charm of his here. His Satanic priest character is as over-the-top as the lyrics of an Evanescence song, belting out those generic, faux-Victorian sermons those servants of Satan love.

I would have written if off as below-average--however, the movie gave me a surprising number of jolts. It helps that the director give absolutely no audio or visual cues. The background music doesn't swell up when a possessed child pops up in the middle of the road--it just sort of pops up in the middle of the dialogue. The ending was surprisingly abrupt and non-committal as well. They did a good job subverting the anticipated tear-filled reunion.

The Brotherhood of Satan is no must-see, but it's certainly an underrated flick that fans of the genre might get a kick out of.

RATING: 3

PROS: A few good chills, Ahna Capri is hot
CONS: Dated

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066863/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU