Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wwqd1123
Mar 3, 2003
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton

This has got to be one of the best action movies I have ever seen. It has a very epic storyline and great characters to go along with it. Its hard to watch the movie all the way through without getting a little attached to the characters in some way. On top of that the action scenes are great, and it had pretty good special effects(for its time). They just don't make action movies like this anymore. Overall, and excellent movie everyone should see.

RATING: 5

PROS: Great action scenes. Nice character development
CONS: None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

wwqd1123 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 21, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyb
Apr 30, 2004
heh
I love this movie. One of the best sci-fi/action movies ever made. Even the young John Conner actually isn't annoying (as far as kids in movies go anyway). Great action, great special effects. Very well done. Watching T3 makes me sad. James Cameron would be rolling in his grave if he were dead or something. 5/5

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
A flat-out phenominal action movie. A standard-setter that's really held up well despite being so SE-heavy. 5.5/5

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Definitely one of the best action movies if not the best. Great action scenes with an interesting plot.

5 stars

Cessna N333UM
Dec 7, 2003

Winning (and passing Check-Rides) is better than sex.
Sometimes I wish I was the liquid metal guy.

Five

McMurphy
Feb 14, 2004

THE FACES OF THOSE IVE KILLED
THE FACES OF THE DEAD
THE FACES OF THOSE I'VE KILLED

I've watched this movie about 200 times and it never gets old. 5 just 5.

Ryan
Sep 11, 2001
One of my top 5 movies of all time.

weasel sack
Sep 11, 2001

NIANOCRAD eternally spins and has hundreds of light tunnels that shoot out from the pits of a unique and self-contained HELL
Great robotic synthetic atmosphere, great acting, moderate dialogue, and even by today's standards great action and special effects. This is the movie that made me want to make movies. And it's probably my most serotonin-inducing, most memorized childhood favorite.

5/5

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
Perhaps my favorite action movie ever.

5/5

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Wow, I can't believe you're all rating this a 5. Have you seen it lately? Or are you just going on memories of your reaction from the theaters 13 years ago? Sure, when I first saw this at age 12 I thought it was pretty great. But we watched it in my SciFi Film class a few years ago when I was in college, and boy is it terrible.

James Cameron writes the worst dialog pretty much in the history of cinema. These great characters that you all feel so attached to are about as one-dimensional as they come (even for the genre). And please tell me what's so great about the plot? It's stupid. They needed Arnold back to make any money, so suddenly the bad guy has been reprogrammed and is now the good guy? That's laughably little effort. And the action scenes and effects, great as they may have been over a decade ago, have not aged well. I beg you to watch it again tonight and assert the contrary with a straight face.

I really can't understand how this throw-away summer blockbuster has survived this long in the hearts of movie watchers. 1.5/5

ogm
May 20, 2001

The surprising thing about this movie is that even though it's 13 years old it still feels a lot fresher than every action movie that comes out nowadays. From minute one there's not a dull second, and all of the action sequences are still excellent by any standard. Sure, it's just an action flick. But it's probably the best one yet, and I don't see how anything is gonna push it down from the number one spot. Certainly nothing has come close yet, anyway. I make a point of watching it at least twice a year too, so I know my opinions are up to date.

5.5/5

Bongle
Jan 5, 2004

Now with more glowing
I also have this movie, and have watched it recently. Although me aging has made dislike whoever plays John Connor a lot more, I still like it for the plot, action sequences, and all that jazz. I'd say that it was one of the last 'dumb' action movies, in the vein of True Lies, Die Hard, or speed, the kind of action movie that just isn't made any more, where the hero just blows stuff up continuously for a couple hours.

Rating: 4.5

Pros: Acting by everyone but that John Connor actor, plot, effects
Cons: Not a whole lot. I really do hate the John Connor character though.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
I remember after watching this movie for the first time being dumbfounded. We sat around afterwards and discussed the symbolism in the movie (The four rocking horses in the playground - 4 horses of the apocalypse), and various facets (was the T-1000 damaged by the Liquid Nitrogen) of the movie for hours.

Probably my favorite action movie and gets a 5.5.

Lehrer
Mar 6, 2004
I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!
I watched this movie for the first time last week. It's very well done, and it hasn't aged at all. Very enjoyable, highly recommended.

5/5

Manic Shampoo
Feb 9, 2004

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!
The worst movie in the Terminator francise. The critical claim this movie gets is beyond me. Every time I watch this movie it gets more and more dull.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
loving amazing movie. Great action, pacing, music, and special effects. The story isn't amazing but it's good. Arnold is at his best here.

5/5

Yamon Etoch
Aug 11, 2003
Hands down the greatest action movie ever made. Brilliantly written and paced, and has one of the greatest ending sequences of any action film.

5/5

Arcadean
May 13, 2004
Psycho
This is a very good action movie. Cameron knows how to direct these kinds of movies. He has solid acting and a good story weaved together with special effects to create a film that can stand up to the original and maybe even surpass it.

4.5/5

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Very well-done action movie. One of the few I really enjoy.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

5, kick-rear end action/sci-fi with a great story and cool atmosphere. have you ever noticed how quiet it is almost throughout the movie?

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
You need to see this movie. Great graphics for the time, great plot, awesome acting, and the action is sweet. Clearly a classic. 5

Moose Lee
May 15, 2004

Reasonable action, but far inferior to the first. Instead of seeing Arnie shooting everything that moves, we are treated with terrible, terrible speeches, especially that "You don't know what it's like to create life..." rubbish. The whining of Sarah Connor especially destroyed any sympathy for the "good guys". Obviously though, the special effects are much improved, and I suppose that's what the film is really about.

2/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This was one of those escape movies. Where you go see it and it affects your life in a strange way that you want to be in that universe, even for a brief moment. I saw this movie every day for over a week when it first came out in my high school summer vacation. I bought the soundtrack and listened to it at night with my eyes closed replaying the movie in my head during the nights I couldn't be in the theater watching it. I miss those days when I had nothing better to do with my life. I do own this on DVD, and it held up just fine over the years.

5.5/5

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I have a cousin who based her doctoral thesis on this movie. She's an english major. I thought it was good, though I liked T3 even more, and maybe even T1 more than this.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I love this movie. I only watched for the first actualy time recently and was not disappointed. The music, atmosphere, CG, everything was great.

5.5/5

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Utterly phenomenal movie where there's giant explosions and car chases and Arnold one-liners and yet everything "makes sense", except for the obvious time travel paradoxes. James Cameron's wonderful script provides plenty of balls to the wall action but avoids the trap of becoming ludicrous, stupid, or just plain insulting to the audience like so many other action movies do. Definitely one of the top three action films ever made, along with Die Hard and, uh, OK one of the top two action films ever made.

Darktaco
Nov 7, 2003
Darkest taco of them all...
Ahh, boy. One of the top 3 movies of all time, as far as I'm concerned. If I hadn't already given out my 5.5, I would give it to this.

5/5

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Original Cut: 5.5/5
Directors Cut: 5.5/5
Extended Directors Cut : 5/5

Some things are best left as perfect ;)

Captain Corny
Dec 16, 2000

The sequal is usually not as good as the original, and this is no exception. The special effects were awesome though. 4.5.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I suspect I'm in a minority in really not liking this film very much. For a start, it is the earliest example that I remember of a film in which the product placement REALLY got in the way. (In the opening scenes with the scientists accessing the robotic arm, having the Pepsi logo facing the screen at all times, John Connor hacking into ATM machines using an Atari Lynx and playing Afterburner in an arcade about 10 years after it was released ...) I also find Sarah Connor utterly loathesome, in a neurotic, selfish, needs-a-slap kind of way. And John Connor is fortunate to be played by Edward Furlong, `cause he has a terrible part that would otherwise make him as appalling as his mother. The main problem, though, is that I just can't warm to Arnie, even as a convincing robot. Voted 2.5.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
The first time I watched T2, I thought it was fantastic. Of course, I was a lot younger so many things didn't really stand out to me back then...like Eddie Furlong's astrocious acting. It's so bad that I can't even watch the movie anymore. "YEAH, OK! HIGH-FIVE!"

The CGI was good. Better than today's standards even. I think everyone tries to overdo it nowadays.

I am a big mark for the Terminator idea. I'm also a fan of Arnolds, as movies like Conan the Barbarian & Red Sonja are a few of my favorite movies...despite them not being "good."

That being said, I'll give this movie a 3/5. It's decent...excells in some areas even. If not for the bad acting of the younger Furlong and the part with the black dude that seems to drag out forever, I would've rated higher.

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

I liked this movie. Definitely Arnolds best. 4.5

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

My eyes can't help but water a little at the end, every time, with that music and the ....:cry:
5/5

Daddar
Nov 13, 2003

What the fuck is the Internet?
5/5 for me too. This is a great movie with plenty of action, and an excellent plot. The only con I can think of are john conners wussy little screams and voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
This film fills me with conflicted feelings. On the one hand, you have great action, the pimp nature of the whole Terminator saga, and some great CG that manages to hold up. On the other hand, you have cheezy dialogue, the horrendous "Bad to the Bone" usage, some really middling compositing, cool-but-extremely obvious Stan Winston puppets, and some really bad shots of "Tinfoil Man".

It's very interesting to see a blockbuster like this, as it was helmed by a very competent director and generously budgeted, yet still came out semi-baked in certain departments. And OH JESUS, why the thumbs up at the end?

I'm generally the first to swing on Cameron's nutsack, but T2 is quite inconsistent. I feel like this and T1 would benefit greatly from having certain shots redone. Aliens poos all over the Terminators in terms of longevity and polish.

But I guess it's the best action movie ever...?

4/5