Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief Rebel Angel
Apr 10, 2003

by Fragmaster
Directed by: Joel & Ethan Coen
Starring: Tim Robbins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Paul Newman, Bruce Campbell

Plot synopsis:

Norville Barnes (Tim Robbins) is a simple but honest man from Muncie, IN. He moves to the big city and gets a job in the mailroom at Hudsucker Industires. Soon after, he is promoted to president of the company. The reason is that the board of directors wants him to be a patsy and sink the company so that they can all buy up the company's stock at dirt-cheap prices, and then fire Barnes and turn the company around to make boatloads of money for themselves. Little do they know that Norville has some good ideas up his sleeve. Amy Archer (JJL) is a fast-talking news reporter who goes undercover as Norville's secretary to cover the story for the paper she works for. Bruce Campbell and Anna Nicole Smith (while she was still hot) have bit parts too.

Review:

This movie is not only hilarious, but well-written and well-acted all around. It's not full of major twists, but the minor twists that do show up, along with the vast symbolism all over the place make for a great movie. They even throw in some old-school movie references, for example a scene torn right out of "Kiss Me Kate".

The only thing about this movie I did not like was its incredibly fast pacing. Dialogue and plot flow extremely quickly, and I had to watch it like 3 times to completely absorb the entirety of the basic story, and I'm normally able to follow fast-paced movies. This is totally as classic, and I believe it's Tim Robbins' and JJL's best performances ever. Not to mention that JJL is totally hot in a 50's chick kinda way. I wish more modern women would wear their hair like that and dress that way.

Great story, great direction, great acting, great cinematography, and Bruce Campbell. What else can you ask for?

4.5/5 I would give it a 5 but it moves a little too fast IMO.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Fast-paced, hilarious, original, Jennifer Jason Leigh is hot
CONS: Fast-paced, bizarre in some places

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110074/fullcredits#directors

Chief Rebel Angel fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 23, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
You know, for kids!

5/5

GuyPapageorgio
Oct 17, 2003

by elpintogrande
I just finished watching this because of the good reviews it got and I'd have to agree witht them it is an excellent movie.

What suprised me is that it had almost a Tim Burton feel to it. Sometimes I thought I was watching Big Fish (Another good movie). I'd reccommend this to anyone.

4.5/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
This movie is wonderful. The writing is funny and quick, the acting, sets, and feel of the film all seem transplanted from a play. It's exaggerated and cartoonish but it works extremely well. I really have no complaints other than the fact that I felt Barnes' transition from happy-go-lucky CEO to jaded-egotistical CEO was abrupt and not really well expressed. That's about it though, everything else is awesome.

ombrophiliac
Mar 9, 2004
i got this thing that i consider my only art...
Definitely one of my favorite movies ever, it has a wonderful Carter Burwell score and Deakins' camera work is spot on. It's also one of the only Coen Brothers' movies where Steve Buscemi's character manages not to die,

5/5

Bathing Poodle
Nov 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
The transition of my "WTF" feeling to the "ooooohhhhhhh" of revelation regarding his circle drawing was amazing. It's so simple, yet brilliant. "You know...for kids!"

5/5

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I'd been meaning to watch this for two or three years now and had never gotten around to it, but it came on HBO last week right when I woke up. I went in having absolutely no idea what the movie was about and thorougly enjoyed it. It reminded me of Big Fish as well, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. I guess it was the cartoonish nature of the whole thing. 4.5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
lovely poster.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 27, 2006