Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Directed by: David S. Ward
Starring: Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Wesley Snipes, Renee Russo

The Cleveland Indians, a historically terrible team, are supposed to lose it all when new owner Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton) brings together a cast of washed-up old players and unproven rookies to be so bad that she can move the team to Florida. The team includes Jake Taylor, a former great who can barely run on his gimpy knees, Charlie Sheen, the flamethrower from the California Penal League, Wesley Snipes, the flashy outfielder who can't hit, and Pedro Cerrano, the slugger who relies on voodoo. All give fine performances, but the best part of the movie is Bob Uecker, who plays announcer Harry Doyle who has some of the best lines in any sports movie.

The movie is standard sports movie fare. The plot is entirely predictable and relies on a steady stream of the usual sports movie cliches to keep on moving. But Major League is one of my favorite movies because it is consistently hilarious. No matter how silly the plot or broad the characters, Major League always makes me laugh.

Notes: Major League is in the rare pantheon of movies that are possibly funnier when censored for television. My favorite lines are:
"You may run like Mays, but you hit like [his sister]" and "Strike that [guy] out."

RATING: 4.0

PROS: Hilarious, great sports comedy
CONS: predictable, cliched

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097815/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
The funniest movie of all time, and gently caress you for reviewing it before I could.

"For the Indians, one run on... one hit. That's all we got, one goddamn hit?"
"You can't say goddamn on the air!"
"Don't worry, nobody's listening anyway."

Five.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
dp

Ramen Soup
Mar 17, 2004
Chicken finger gourmet
I love this movie. Every character in that movie was hilarious. Every line that was supposed to be funny was funny. So many good quotes. The pacing of the movie is great too. They keep switching from subplot to subplot and eventually wrap all of them up one by one. All of the characters little problems get resolved in a hilarious way.
The only problem is that if you don't like baseball, you might not get his movie.
My favorite quote: "Hats for bats. Keep bats warm."

5/5

Darktaco
Nov 7, 2003
Darkest taco of them all...
It's my favorite sports movie, and a real great comedy too. 4/5

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Maybe it's the characters and the actors who portray them, maybe it's the simple but well-executed concept, or maybe Hollywood was better at writing a solid comedy fifteen years ago, but this is one of a number of 80s comedies that has stood up well against the intervening years and a change of fate for the team portrayed.

The plot doesn't wander, the characters are more than cardboard and are given memorable lines, and the film gives Neil Flynn, the janitor on Scrubs, his first film credit. (He's one of the fans seen in the bar with the punks.)

Not one of the best movies ever made, but certainly one I'll watch all the way through if I happen to catch it on during a lazy weekend afternoon.

4/5

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001

quote:

NADZILLA came out of the closet to say:
The funniest movie of all time, and gently caress you for reviewing it before I could.

"For the Indians, one run on... one hit. That's all we got, one goddamn hit?"
"You can't say goddamn on the air!"
"Don't worry, nobody's listening anyway."

Five.

or "This show sponsored by...." (Doyle starts ruffling through papers) "ahh I cant find it, to hell with it!"

5 also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty Webb
May 24, 2004

Classic... i remember arguing with my mum, trying to convince her the 'rick vaughn' was to be my next 'do

also cyrano (sp?), who ever thought he would be president someday?