Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Lee Ermey, Vincent D'Onofrio, Matthew Modine

Watching this on TV tonight, I'm reminded of just how amazing this movie is. Not the best Kubrick movie (that honor goes to A Clockwork Orange, which is also my favorite movie of all-time), but definitely the best war movie ever made, in my opinion.

If you didn't know the storyline already, it is about a group of Vietnam-era Marines who train under the punishing Sgt. Hartman (Ermey). The dehumanizing and transformation of the men from ordinary to killing machines is hard to watch at times, especially the scenes involving the overweight Pt. Pyle (D'Onofrio). However, that is only the first half of the movie. The second half focuses on the actual results of the training, the Marines fighting in the War during the Tet offensive. This half also involves Pt. Joker (Modine) as a correspondent. Odd choice it seems, but it works.

Many people say that the first half is much better than the second. I agree, but I still think the second half is worth watching. The halves complement each other to show the devastating effect of war on the human psyche, something I believe no other film has done as well as Full Metal Jacket.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Excellent acting, extremely realistic
CONS: Second half not as jaw-dropping as the first

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

This is a really bizzare movie, especially to young moviegoers like me who aren't used to the kind of liberties Kurbrick takes here. The senselesness of the movie does a justice to the insanity of war (particularly that one) that many other war movies don't.

Watching it I realized how much of the movie has seaped into American pop culture-from Lee Ermy and "steers and queers" to "me so horny". Also, best ending scene ever. After watching poo poo like "We Were Soliders" I really wish we could reanimate Kubrick's corpse.

4/5, with bonus points for its classic status

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
I have heard from a few co-workers with military experience from that time period that the first half is rather real. I wish it were longer, actually, so more character development could take place.

Overall, it's almost as if the movie could have been an hour longer and I wouldn't have noticed. I enjoy it every time I watch it, and if you haven't seen it, go give it a shot.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

My least favourite Stanley Kubrick film.

Still a 4.5/5

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
Easily one of my favorite movies of all time and of any genre. I gained an even new appreciation for this movie after doing my stint in the military. The first half was definitely better than the second (not taking anything from the second half). I gave it a 5/5.

KimchiHead
Jan 10, 2004

Not that great if you see the movie as a whole.
The first half is great due to Ermey's performance. The second half is very poor in comparison, and by itself is a very mediocre Vietnam War movie. One of the lesser Kubrick movies.

Rating: 3.0

toneh
Dec 16, 2003

I found hell
One of my favourite films of all time.

Even though it has nothing to do with the fact the end battle scene was filmed at a disused gasworks in London. Not sure about the first 2/3 though. I would like to know.

(I believe it is where the Millenium Dome is now - correct me if i'm wrong)

I actaully saw this at the flicks when I was 14, down the Cradley Heath flee pit - that place rocked. So has good memories, it was only a £1.

5/5 easily

Toneh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have to say that I don't entirely like this movie's structure, it's very interesting but I'm not sure it works. As others have repeatedly mentioned, the first half is much better than the second.

There are elements I like about the 2nd half though - in particular the atmosphere towards the end, when they are approaching the sniper. I love the feeling of the semi-abandoned urban zone, and I really really dig this music in this part.

As far as comparing it to other Kubrick films, personally I like it quite a lot in comparison to his other stuff - but I'm not a huge Kubrick fan at all.

In comparison to other Vietnam films, I'll say that I like it less than Apocalypse Now, but more than Platoon.

rating 4.5/5

bridwello
May 17, 2004
hey now

the notion that part one is better than part two is false. part two is a compliments part one almost flawlessley. it shows what these boys have become after graduating from school. it explores vietman through their eyes. come the end of the film, we learn they are nothing more than boys who belong to a group "made for you and me". Not the Mickey Mouse Club, but The Marines.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
when i first watched this movie on VHS i was signed up to join the marines. i went to boot camp (3rd battalion paris island) & the movie nailed boot camp. so as a marine i am basis towards this movie.

but with all that said & done i am another person that thought the second part of the movie was a let down. when compared to other in country movies like 'platoon' (which i liked better) the war part fell short. or maybe it was that in no way could it be as good as the first part of the movie.

i later read the book in was based on 'the shorttimers' & the follow up 'phatom blooper'. good books to read. one of my biggest complaints was that kubrick limited the story cause he would not leave england. i love most of his movies, but come on leave the country once & awhile.

one of the top 5 or so vietnam movies & ermey alone makes the movie worth it.

4/5

Meekohi
Dec 30, 2003
Liar! Why does my tummy hurt?
I thought this movie was absolutely amazing.

The mixture of comedy, horror, and brutal truth ("How can you kill innocent women and children?" "Easy! Just don't lead them as much!") is amazing.

Agreed, not the best Kubrick.
Doesn't matter.

5/5

scaryguy
Sep 28, 2003

"I like these calm little
moments before the storm.
It reminds me of Beethoven."
I've seen this movie probably 20 times and absolutely love it.

I don't favor either part of the movie really, but find the second half more enjoyable.

The soundtrack is AWESOME and Lee Ermey's (Sgt. Hartman) role is an absolute classic.

My favorite part of the movie is near the end when Joker is about to shoot the VC sniper when the music is building up you start to see his peace symbol pin slowly get covered by his clothing, until the exact moment when it becomes totally out of sight he pulls the trigger. I get cold chills every time I watch this scene not just for how cool of a cinematic technique it is, but also how deep the meaning of it is. One of my interpretations is that sometimes you have to push aside peace to end suffering, but it could have multiple meanings. Anyone else notice the pin fade away?

5/5

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

This is one of my all time favorites, and easily my favorite Kubrick film. A Clockwork Orange just didn't do it for me.

Now, I know most people will say the second half doesn't compare to the first, though I disagree. The first half details the bootcamp, and while it does show some real abuse, you'll probably end up laughing just as much as anything else. Ermey spews out more quotable lines than I can count. In spite of this the second half still tells a great story(the results of all the systematic abuse and training).

The end is intense. Throughout the whole film Joker keeps saying, "I'm a killer," but you don't realize the truth to it until he kills a wounded sniper at point-blank range. Something the most brutal members of his squad couldn't do.

Easily a 5.

Toadsoup
Apr 10, 2004
I'm the god-damn govenor's son
I thought this movie was kind of a let down. The entire thing was a giant buildup. They forgot to tell a story out of it. I enjoyed watching the movie and it was really cool, but then in the middle of it the credits started to roll. I looked up and thought, 'that's it?' I suppose it's just the ending that I'm not quite liking.

snipun
Oct 26, 2003
5.5 for me...having served in the military it brings home a lot of feelings people go through from time to time.

TheSpoonMan
Jan 18, 2004
The horrors of boot camp and the hardships of war illistrated into a masterpiece.

My favorate Vietnam war movie.

5/5.5

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

This film is fascinating. The second part caught me off guard when I first saw it, because Full Metal Jacket relies on such an unorthodox narrative style. So much so that I didn't initially know if I liked or hated it, but in the end I realized it was an excellent and subtle piece of cinematography that manages to show the confusion of war and allows much place for personal interpretation. At the very least, you've got to admit that it doesn't feel like it's trying to cram its moral down your throat like many other movies of the same genre have tried to.

I'm not even talking about the first part, because you already know it rules.

edit: 5 5 5 manbabies

BORING IDIOT
Jan 28, 2004
Beautifully done. I've watched this movie over a dozen times, and want to rewatch it now to analyze the shots Kubrick likes to use. It seems like this is one of those few movies where everything seems to fall into place perfectly (the acting, lighting, camerawork, sound, etc), and it expresses a story very powerfully because (1) the story kicks rear end, and (2) there are no shortcomings in any other aspects of the film to detract from the story.

It's one of the most cerebral films you'll find out there, and while on the surface it looks amazing, it lends itself very well to deeper analysis. This is one of those things people call a "masterpiece".

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It's interesting to compare the first half of Full Metal Jacket with the troop training scenes from Kubrick's "Spartacus", 27 years earlier.

Great movie -- the first half is one of the most tightly paced and gripping hours in the history of film.

MoonDog
May 3, 2004

quote:

scaryguy came out of the closet to say:

The soundtrack is AWESOME and Lee Ermey's (Sgt. Hartman) role is an absolute classic.

Amen to the soundtrack, Full Metal Jacket was on Bravo tonight and I got a shiver hearing Painted Black by the Stones. Tagged just in case: Also the troops silhouetted singing the Mickey Mouse theme song, I find this eerily effective.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
One of the best openings to a movie and soo many great one liners.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
I first saw this movie several years ago and thought it was great. Eventually I borrowed the DVD off a friend for some nostalgia, not expecting it to hold up to the greatness my memory perceived it to have. If anything though, I appreciate the film even more. The dialogue, action and truthful brutality are only superceded by the Sgt.Hartman character.

Pros: Sgt.Hartman, the soundtrack, everything.
Cons: First half is a little better than the second.

Rated 5

tygeR
Jul 26, 2004
Isn't this the film that popularized the line, "Me love you long time"?
That alone earns couple points.
If this movie wasn't fun, it was definitely interesting.

tygeR fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 26, 2004

ICYPhoenix
Mar 20, 2004

Frozen Bird of Prey

quote:

scaryguy came out of the closet to say:
My favorite part of the movie is near the end when Joker is about to shoot the VC sniper when the music is building up you start to see his peace symbol pin slowly get covered by his clothing, until the exact moment when it becomes totally out of sight he pulls the trigger. I get cold chills every time I watch this scene not just for how cool of a cinematic technique it is, but also how deep the meaning of it is. One of my interpretations is that sometimes you have to push aside peace to end suffering, but it could have multiple meanings. Anyone else notice the pin fade away?

I had not noticed that before, and you are right that is creepy.

But this movie is one of if not the best war movie I have ever seen. Well worth the price of a DVD.

Voted 5.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
You get two movies in one. You see how these soldiers are broken down and made into killing machines. You also then see them on the war front, with their personalities still intact. A different take on war flicks.