Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dcardenas
May 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Unfortunately, I think most people went in expecting something completely different. It seemed that most of the audience expected another stupid movie, in which stupid poo poo happens. You'll be disappointed if you want to see another Harold and Kumar.

I thought it was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in my life. The casting is phenomenal, as is the script.

"Napolean, you know I'm training to become a cage fighter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dremy
Aug 17, 2004

100% Genetically Modified with over 2,000 additives
I was very excited about this movie when I started seeing previews for it. I'm all about wierd off beat movies like this one.
But I must say I was a little disappointed. The movie wasn't bad, there are certainly worse out(as anyone who's seen house of the dead can testify to) but this movie didn't quite cut it for me. It was funny in several parts but the plot was very thin. When I got done watching it I had to think to myself "what was the plot here?" I guess if just seeing a few friends interacting in normal everyday settings is a plot then it had one. It wasn't until the student council elections that I even understood where this movie was going! Yet it definatly had it's moments so I can't bitch too much because of that. It was descent but it was no Rushmore.

3.5/5

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for two groups of people in this thread: ones who take it too seriously and hate it, and ones who take it too seriously and love it. It's a stupid movie, on the same level as Dumb and Dumber or Beavis and Butthead. It doesn't try to say anything, it doesn't try to be intellectual or anti-intellectual (but secretly intellectual because of its anti-intellectualism or something). It's just a series of stupid phrases and skits that just kind of happen. Some people enjoy this kind of humor, some people hate it. That's fine, obviously. But don't get pissed at it because it didn't say anything, and don't laud it because it's a lamentation for the downtrodden of high school society. It's just a stupid movie, though intensely funny in my opinion.

meow at the sun
Jul 15, 2003

What? You did WHAT?!
It was a good, light-hearted movie. And I laughed more than I did for Anchorman/Dodgeball/Harold & Kumar combined, which are probably what REAL comedy movies are to people who hated Napoleon Dynamite (ND).

It's too bad that some people NEED movies with a plot, antagonists, action, climaxes, etc. Because ND is pretty much the antithesis of all these characteristics.

Don't get me wrong though. I did enjoy the forementioned movies as well. I just consider myself to keep more of an open mind about taste in movies I guess.

5/5

P.S. MTV should have sold their rights to this movie to Nickelodeon or something.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Not intensely smart or deep, but who cares? A group of (almost always) funny skits; what more do you need?

4/5

drcrumble
May 20, 2001
I WANNA RUB MAH BONER ON UR ASS
p.s. I enjoy guzzling bull semen.
I appreciated the subtle, quirky humor of this movie, and a few scenes were genuinely laugh out loud funny, but for the most part I was kind of bored waiting for the grade A hilarity that I was promised. Not to mention that the audience around me seemed to think that the entire movie was laugh out loud funny, which totally ruined the subtlety of it.

2/5

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The "Pedro offers you his protection" part was the best thing I have seen in a very long time.

5.5/5

Edit: This is now one of my very favorite movies, and anyone who doesn't understand what makes it so good is a worthless husk of a person.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 6, 2004

Sarcasmo
Dec 1, 2003

Il me restait à souhaiter qu'ils m'accueillent avec des cris de haine.
It doesn't try to tell you any sort of story, and therein lies the beauty of this movie. It's exactly as I remember high school, perhaps a little more violent than I experienced, but I howled with laughter as Napoleon sat alone during gym, trying to kick the tetherball with NINJA MOVES.

Everyone who hated this movie so far (and this is just my experience at the movie theater) was popular in high school. I'm sure there are others, but it was funny to see the stupid frat jocks not getting it.

loving 5/5

Mangx0r
Aug 27, 2002
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
"I do what i want, gosh"

"you guys are retarded."

I laughed my rear end off thoughout this movie

5.5/5

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

quote:

oldkike came out of the closet to say:
Probably the best movie I've seen this year. I voted a 5.0. Flippin awesome.
I agree, best movie of the year thus far.

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
The entire movie, I desperately wanted to reach out and shut Jon Heder's mouth. His slack lower lip and mongoloid jaw a near constant in the center of each frame was almost enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the movie.

3.5/5

JollyKoalaBear
Feb 18, 2004

Just Bounce.
I just miss sitting in a theater and laughing at gags that are not totally over the top and rely on perversion and profanity as a way to get laughs. This movie had me laughing all throughout the 86 minutes. (Including the bonus scene.) The supporting cast for ND was incredibly funny and their subtle quirks and facial expressions won me over.

4/5

"Eat your ham TINA!"

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I went and watched this movie, hearing a lot about how this movie was hilarious. I left shortly after Napoleon found out that Pedro asked some other girl out.

Maybe I went in expecting too much, but I just didn't like it. I didn't see anything funny about it, no funny zings, anything. Maybe I'm just jaded, since everyone else loves this movie. Oh well.

1.0/5.0

meinshatz
Sep 9, 2004

by Lowtax
hey napoleon....give me some of your tots!....amazing movie

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

Talk about overhyped.

This kind of tongue-in-cheek humor is great...for a minute. Napoleon Dynamite would make a great Screech, a sitcom sidekick, someone who pops in, does his bit and walks off stage. Insted he is the center of attention in this film.

All the other people in this film are just as shallow and one-dimentional. All gags are usually seen a mile away or just werent funny.

The only example i could give would be that this movie is like one long joke that never ended.. or got more funny.

Not that original, not that funny, but a really cool opening credits.

3/5

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I can't figure out why people are calling this movie overhyped. I've seen maybe two commercials.

In any case it was a pretty funny movie about the life and times of social rejects. To me it came off pretty sweet, but dragged on at times. I'd reccomend it to anyone who can't stand most normal comedies.

4/5

ad infinitum
Oct 11, 2001
All things shining.
The characters were largely annoying (except Pedro and his cousins and maybe Deb), character development was nonexistent, and the gags/jokes were mostly unfunny (except for the occasional "bo staff" line). But the biggest flaw was the self-aware "aren't we clever" quality that pervades the film and invites us to laugh at these zany, nerdy characters and the wacky things they say. Incidentally, it was this quality that sometimes flawed the otherwise enjoyable Royal Tenenbaums (thankfully the fantastic Rushmore and Bottle Rocket were unaffected).

The characters are merely vehicles for a cloying quirkiness and there is no attempt to humanize them. It's this that separates Napoleon Dynamite from films like Election, Rushmore, or Welcome to the Dollhouse which had quirky characters yes, but still human, if not always likeable.

2/5

quote:

Kath came out of the closet to say:
My friend made me a shirt -
front:
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/8650/photoblog030.jpg

Back:
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/7329/photoblog031.jpg

I may not have liked the movie, but I must say that is a pretty cool shirt.

localClient
Nov 13, 2003

The Great American Hero
This movie has me laughing every other second and only because I needed air.

One of the best movies of the year, if not the best.

4.5/5

wilco
Jun 30, 2003

russian rokenrol revolution
If I wanted to remember how awkward high school was, I could have just opened a loving yearbook.

1/5

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I really liked this movie because it didn't have a plot. It didn't need to. It was about napoleon as a character, and oh, he is quite a character. I laughed my rear end off the whole time, it was so great. I give it a 5/5 because of the unique concept and beautiful execution.

MrBisco
Sep 28, 2001

I GUESS I'M STILL A BIT TOO JEW-DEFENSIVE
Having just seen this film, I'll give a freshly-watched review:

This film's premise relies on one point - "Awkard and Random are Funny." In fact, this film should have been taglined "Awkard and Random are Funny." Perhaps, even, titled "Awkard and Random are Funny." Unfortunately, when Awkard and Random are shallow and soulless, they are not funny. Not at all.

First off, I'm appalled by the shameless redundancy apparent in the film. Not only has Wes Anderson already mastered comedic deadpan (Max in Rushmore, and Margot, Richie, and Raleigh most notably in Tenenbaums), but he's done it better - he's played that flat-faced comedy against more complete characters, placing that awkardness in a context far more subtle, and essentially, far more effective. Where Anderson creates an alterverse, where taxis are all Gypsies and high schools allow explosives on stage but kids are still kids even when they act grown up and no matter how awkard you are you still end up human, Jared Hess's characters grow more absurd as they grow personally, yet never stray far enough from their established character traits to warrant a meaningful or expressive response from an audience. At least not this audience.

In a good comedy, even a dark one, I want to care about my characters. I want to know what happens to them in the end, and I want things to work out, even if they don't. I want them to try to fit if they don't, and if they don't succeed, I want to hate every reason why they don't, and if they do fit in, I want to hate all the reasons they didn't before. But why does Napoleon fit in at the end? Because he acts like a moron to the appeasement of the entire school? Seems he's been doing that the entirety of the film (if not well before, as we're led to assume), to the complete opposite effect. Why does Napoleon's "romance" turn out a success? Once again, thanks to his total boob-like behavior?

Maybe I'm not supposed to understand these characters, their motivations, what gets them from beginning to end.

By the end, though, I certainly didn't care.

Cynnik
Nov 19, 2002

this seems all too familiar
0/5

I sat and waited and waited for something to happen. Nothing did.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

idk it was a film

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 21, 2014

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

quote:

ford came out of the closet to say:
I have to post my review: THIS MOVIE IS TOTAL CRAP!!!!!
Thank you for writing all that up so I don't have to. I did not find this movie enjoyable, possibly because Napoleon so reminded me of someone I knew at college, and severely disliked. ford, your review was spot on, except for the lack of adding a review at the bottom.

0.5/5

Waltar
Nov 30, 2002

THIS MOVIE WAS THE BOMB DOT COM

5/5

BrockStar
Jan 3, 2004

55555 golden yambabies to this hilarious movie.

So much hilarity.

"Welcome to D'Qwon's Dance Grooves, are you ready to get your groove on?"
"Yessss.

edit: Who is the women that rides a bike up to uncle Rico at the end?

BrockStar fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 28, 2004

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Excellent movie, had me laughing all the way through. The casting is great and I thought it was well done all around.

4.5/5

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Story was put together nicely.....although it is REALLY creepy how people claim this movie to be the be-all-and-end-all comedy movies of our generation...

quite frankly.....it was nothing that I am going to talk about in a couple years.....

it was funny in the 12-year-old-sense-of-humor kind of way.

I think the stories could have developed more, like Kips transformation into an e-thug....but maybe the film may have lost its charm along the way.

The movie was fun, and I would not recommend against it....but I would not call it one of the best this year.
I am really losing respect for Sundance Film Festival Awards people becuase there are too many movies coming out that are over-simplified that I just don't find impacting on the film community.
As a future film student, I can understand the reasoning behind movies like this, American Splendor, and many more...in that they tell a real story that is comedic along the way and has a "heart-warming" ending without having hollywood bullshit jokes, but at the same time......there is no profundity in the filmmaking or the film itself.

Enough of that.....
I'll give this a 3.5/5
and thats simply because of Pedro as he was the best character in the movie....

Kabz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 25, 2004

bass hysteria
Nov 18, 2000
I believe this movie was a total inside joke about rural life. I might be wrong, but I don't know. I still found it to be funny and entertaining. Some things it lacked, but overall, I liked watching it. 4 out of 5.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Just finished watching this. Hilarious movie. Would definately recommend this to anyone looking for something new. It's not entirely original, but it's presented in a fresh new way. The dullness, the blankness. Weaving in and out of possibly and ridiculous, it's all done flawlessly. Great film.

5/5

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

I had a few chuckles, but the movie was disappointing. It has got to be the longest "short" movie I've ever seen!

I also didn't like Napoleon, he came off as too much of an rear end in a top hat.

I'll be generous and give it a 2 for the unique setting and characters and the scene where pedro's cousin is "protecting" the nerd with the bike. Other then that, the movie simply failed to click imo.

Very, very important note:

quote:

sidekickjon came out of the closet to say:
THIS MOVIE IS NOT WORTH THE TITLE OF CULT CLASSIC.

This movie will be forgotten in 1-2 years tops.

2/5

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
3.5/5 - as everyone's already said, it's got some of the funniest characters I can remember spewing some of the funniest lines I've ever heard. Unfortunately that's all it is, and the movie is tough to sit through when it misfires (most of the uncle/love interest stuff is a little flat). It would've been great to see something smart and funny done with the characters, other than pasting them into random scenes and getting them to say catchphrases.

Inarticulation
Feb 8, 2004
Fucking Waste
I wanted to like this movie after all that I heard about it.

I think to like the movie you have to relate to/feel for Napoleon Dynamite, but I was annoyed by him. That fact made the movie hard to watch. I think at times it tried a bit to hard to come off as a quirky movie.

0.5/5.0

locdogg
Nov 16, 2000

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
0.5/5

This film was like reading a livejournal or some e/n threads. It was that bad. It was contrived, predictible, and stupid. It was as if the makers of this film were so overwhelmed by their idea of a "quirky" off-beat "indie" film that they forgot to include anything worthwhile.
Napoleon Dynamite is to movies what Hot Topic is to clothes.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The jokes and characters are all loving gimmicks and everything felt incredibly forced.

Woah he's a skinny little nerd and he TRAINING TO BE A CAGE FIGHTER. :lol::lol::lol:

Woah his pathetic uncle threw a STEAK at Napoleon's face. HA!

Hey skinny little nerd brother has a HUGE BLACK GIRLFRIEND. FROM THE INTERNET!

Napoleon acts "annoyed" when answering a question that somebody asks him. GOSH!

Pet llama, granny on a dune buggy. "crazy" self defence guy, slightly retarded mexican guy, and so on and so forth. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 out of 5.

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up
good movie

5/5

Y fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 2, 2020

Kego
Jul 26, 2002

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request

quote:

acslater came out of the closet to say:
There was no point in this movie that I wasn't laughing.

This pretty much sums up my experience as well. I found it incredibly boring and I'm fairly easily entertained. I found a couple spots funny but not one laugh out loud, just a chuckle or two. I'm glad I didn't spend money to see this in theatres.

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Not a very funny movie, but I still enjoyed it. Other than Napoleon all the characters were pretty bad. What could have helped the situation would have been an overall plot. Instead we have four minor ones that pop up here and there throughout the movie. None of which were that interesting.

2.5/5

FYAD BUTLER
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
The thing I enjoyed most about this movie was that I can relate it to how inept kids in my old highschool would act, would always dash to class like Napoleon and use their stupid little pant pockets as secret compartments for stuff.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunderBunny
Nov 4, 2003

See Knowshon. See Knowshon run. See Knowshon HURDLE FOR HEISMAN.
just finished seeing it and all i can think about is seeing it again.

hillarious!

5/5