Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Directed by: Rawson Marshall Thurber
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller

Dodgeball had train wreck written all over it. The idea was funny enough, but how anyone could sustain the quality for a feature length film was beyond me. How many times can you see a guy get nailed in the face and crotch and still laugh? It turns out, plenty...but there's tons more to make this movie a hilarious success.

Surprisingly, the script in this movie is fantastic, and from the unlikely, but appropriate creator of the Terry Tate, Office Linebacker commecials, Rawson Marshall Thurber. It's got stupid jokes, highbrow jokes, slapstick comedy, sarcastic comedy, and subtle comedy throughout. The entire audience during tonight's screening was laughing at one point or another.

The goofy plot is just an excuse to unleash the fun. Vince Vaughn plays Peter La Fleur, who owns a financially troubled down fitness club, gets a ragtag team of misfits (including Alan Tudyk, the redhead from "A Knight's Tale", who think's he's a pirate) together to win $50,000 in a Vegas Dodgeball tournament together to keep the evil fitness club owner, White Goodman (who I'll admit grudgingly is hilariously played by Ben Stiller), from taking over his business.

What other film can you get to see a guy gently caress a slice of pizza?

Or how about a team called The Hasselhoffs?

The entire tournament is aired on ESPN 8 ("The Ocho") and has insanely hilarious color commentary by Gary Cole and Jason Bateman. With lines like, "This is a David and Goliath story truer than The Bible itself" throughout, it really pays to pay close attention.

There's tons of great surprises, cameos, and nice touches that make this film really a treat. I've been wanting a film with good dumb fun that doesn't disappoint for quite some time, and this is just what I was waiting for.

Rip Torn is great as Patches O'Houliahan, a Dodgeball legend from the 40s that comes back to coach them. If you liked him in Freddy Got Fingered, you'll especially love him here. With motivational speeches where he mentions, "I don't have to...I don't have to do a lot of things...I don't have to drink my own urine, but I do because it's sterile and I like the taste", I was in heaven.

Anyway, for this type of film, I'd give it my highest rating. I have absolutely no complaints about it, and neither did anyone else in the theater I talked to after it was through.

I can't wait to see it again.

RATING: 5

PROS: A great multi-layered comedy that has laughs all the way through
CONS: Product placement was a bit much (including a Fox Sports banner at an ESPN event)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364725/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
boy i sure am stupid lol

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 16, 2004

Pandemic
Jun 14, 2003
Lawd Have Mercy!
lol yea totalll1yyyyy!!!!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 16, 2004

SpokkerJones
Nov 9, 2002

by Ozma

quote:

Pandemic came out of the closet to say:
Great review, I can't wait to see this movie.

quote:

Bob Mundon came out of the closet to say:
great news, i want to see it even more now.
Only reviews in this forum please.

Aberration
Sep 11, 2001
Saw an advance screening. To be blatently honest, not even Rip Torn can save this film.

Edit: The "if you can dodge X, you can dodge a ball" got more annoying each time because that was the only thing you say in trailers.

1.5/5

Aberration fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 17, 2004

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

liquorhead came out of the closet to say:
(including Alan Tudyk, the redhead from "A Knight's Tale", who think's he's a pirate)
Sad that you remember him from that and not some of his better work.

This movie is fantastic like Zoolander but with dodgeball. What more can I say than that?

5/5

Agent019
Jun 28, 2002
LOL, ONLY DUMB PEOPLE WORK AT MCDONALD'S
Get over yourself, douchebag.
This movie was fan-loving-tastic.

Of everyone you forgot, this movie had Stephen Root (AKA: Milton from Office Space) whom I met at an IHOP in Los Angeles with his son. What funny is he doesn't look anything like the characters he plays really.

Anyways this movie made me laugh with every shot to the groin. Good comedy for all ages.

4.5/5

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This was a very, very funny film. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Each of the actors are having fun with the movie, and it is consistently amusing.

5/5. I'll definitely be seeing it again soon.

pengO
Apr 15, 2003

get weird, turn pro
What a great movie! So many cameos, so many great lines! I was practically laughing through the entire thing!

ONE-TWO-THREE-HASSELHOFF!

5/5

habib
Jan 14, 2004
SHUT UP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
SHUT UP
there are comedic touches all through this flick, too. all of the teams had comedy names, like "M.I.L.F.'s" and "Donkey Punch." in the background at Average Joe's Gym there's a handwritten sign made out of construction paper that says "You can fail..." and has something written under it that i didn't catch.
every element of this movie is filled with comedy. they didn't let anything into the film that didn't have a joke attached. the bits of file footage for 'the ocho.' the monumentally homo-erotic scultures in White Goodman's [Ben Stiller's] office along with this 'a little too intimate' relationship to Michelle, the 6 1/2 food black man. and the best part was that instead of calling attention to those background elements, the camera work and the script just allow the viewer to pick them out on their own. this is a rare thing: a comedy that bears multiple viewings.

5/5

prower
Jun 1, 2000

by OMGWTFBBQ
I saw this at a preview screening thingy last night. For the record, I've hated every single movie Ben Stiller was in; however, Dodgeball was loving awesome. The first 10 minutes aren't very funny, but after that I was laughing out loud at almost every scene or gag. And like everyone else has said, this movie has a wide variety of comedy--there's slapstick humor, subtle background humor, cameo humor, and even some Family Guy-style absurd humor. There really is something for everyone in this movie.

5/5

loopbackzero
Aug 5, 2003
xd
Ben Stiller movies have always been hit-or-miss for me. I was really hoping this was funny; I mean, DODGEBALL. We've all experienced it(hopefully), love it or hate it you have to admit it has comedy potential. Watching this, I think I laughed during at least 95% of it, and with good reason- there was humor EVERYWHERE. It just didn't stop. The ending was so good, the 30s-era dodgeball video was classic, I might actually go see this again.

"Fuckin' Chuck Norris" ahahahaha

5/5

billo
Feb 4, 2004
Any movie Ben Stiller is in I see, and I love every one of them. I saw it just tonight and the lame one-liners made me burst out in laughter. The cameos were superb. After the movie, I couldn't remember a single one-liner joke except:

I drink my own piss because it's sterile

Would see again.

5/5

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
Some will say this is a great movie for the comedy. I won't disagree with these people. It was very funny. Personally though, I loved it for the dodgeball. If you are like me, and you've always thought America needed major league professional dodgeball then don't miss this movie.

F4Rid
Jan 1, 2004

quote:

Scrubber came out of the closet to say:
... America needed major league professional dodgeball then don't miss this movie.

you know what sir you are very right. i would watch a dodgeball match instead of a baseball match any day, now i dont hate baseball but dodgeball is just more exciting. to see someone get smacked in the face or balls or just smacked with a ball is awsome. oh yeah the movie is very awsome, i just got back from seeing it and it is very funny. it has many funny lines and moments. and vince vaughn is an awsome actor overall, not just this movie.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This movie was incredible. It comes close to trumping Airplane on a comedic level, that's just how good it was. There's a joke everywhere and I'll have to watch it several more times just to find them all. The ESPN 8 "The Ocho" commentary is superb. 5/5 easily.

"It seems as though the Average Joes have forfeited."

"A bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for them."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Much, MUCH better than anticipated. My girlfriend and I loathe Ben Stiller and every role he has ever done except for Happy Gilmore and this movie had us rolling. Lots of little inside jokes like 'The Dirty Sanchez' made this one memorable. Decent storyline, and Stiller actually did a decent job of being funny and not coming off as ham-fisted. A lot of good cameos, as well.

4/5

Mafialligator
Sep 22, 2003

Lincoln Approves
Now like many of you I went in thinking this was going to be a steaming pile. But also like you I found it to be funny, absurd, exciting, and funny. Great performances all around, there was a ton of material although I feel there are a few things that may have been cut.
like the girl's fascination with unicorns was funny but it would have been hilarious if they had to play some team called The Unicorns and she couldn't get the nerve to play against them Although maybe I'm just writing my own movie.
The montage for ESPN 8 "the ocho" is worth the price of admission.

Oh and stay till the very end, there is a final segment that will both make you love and hate yourself for staying.

5/5

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

It was too predictable, and the quirkiness of the characters faded off fast.
It had it moments, but the trailers whored them out. It had potential, especially with the wide variety of teams with different styles but they didnt really go into detail about any of them really.. but a movie that throws in pirates at random, a tough black guy named ME'SHELL LOLLol, and depends on one virgin guy getting wiped out over and over and over again to hold up about 1/3 of the comedic factor just got annoying.

I was pretty dissapointed, but it had its good cameo moments and I really thought the ending was well done and so Ill just give it a 3 out of 5 .

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

I went to this movie with a date that was on her period and being a complete bitch, and still had a great time. This is a really great movie.

IT'S LIKE AN ENTIRE MOVIE ABOUT TONY PERKIS!

JamieMadrox
Feb 8, 2004
DON'T CLOSE SH/SC THREADS
just saw this last night, really was a great movie...very funny, good work

5/5

Matteo44
May 18, 2004
Went in thinking it'd be ok, but nothing special.

Came out very very impressed, this movie is much better than the previews suggest. I couldn't stop laughing during this movie, there is just such a whealth of commedic brilliancs. Excellent acting by Stiller and Vince.

I give it a 4.5/5 just because it won't be as good the second time I see it.

upsilon
Jan 5, 2004

If you find people getting nailed in the balls 100x great humor, you'll like this movie.

If you laugh out loud at subtlety presented jokes such as a bar called "Dirty Sanchez", you'll like this movie.

If you can stand Ben Stiller playing a role that consists of screaming at top volume every single line, you'll like this movie.

I hated this movie, not only because it sucked horribly, but because I had a group of faggots in the back row that were on the ground in stitches when Stiller pumped up his "cod piece" in anticipation of meeting a female character.

Lame.

1/5

JRock
Sep 19, 2000

by Fistgrrl
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=288176229#post288176229

4/5

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:
You have to love this movie if for nothing else than to see a guy act like a pirate though the whole thing.

Yes it's silly slapstick humor, but if that's what your expecting you will enjoy it. If it's not what you want to see, why even think of seeing this movie?

4.5/5

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Saw this last night and laughed my rear end off. Funniest Ben Stiller movie since Zoolander. Everything was great, lots of good one liners and cameos. 4.5

cams
Mar 28, 2003

quote:

pre007 came out of the closet to say:
I hated this movie, not only because it sucked horribly, but because I had a group of faggots in the back row that were on the ground in stitches when Stiller pumped up his "cod piece" in anticipation of meeting a female character

You wouldn't have happened to have seen this movie at the Century 25 theatre in Southern California? I ask this, because I saw this movie there, sat near the back, and laughed my rear end off at every scene in this movie. My only dispaointment with it was that it was hard to hear every joke due to the fact that people in the crowd were still laughing from the last joke. I loved just about every moment of this movie, and want to see it again dearly.

"Hey, it's Steve the Pirate!" 5/5

Lucky Luciano
Nov 23, 2003

You like Huey Lewis and the news?
I loved this movie, the cameos are worth it anyways! I couldn't stop laughing!

5/5

Herpes
Jul 17, 2001

The Ultimate Showdown
Great flick. Saw this with my dad tonite and we both couldn't stop laughing. Jason Bateman was the runaway in this movie for me. I still can't get over Espn 8, "the ocho". loving squirrel water skiing for god sakes, I laughed for 5 mins after that.

Great cameos, akward yet hilarious dialog, and more Espn than you can shake a stick at.

5/5

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"The Ocho" was the greatest thing in that I've seen in a comedy movie for years. The commentary by the announcers was great, and the cameos were perfect.

I really liked this movie. There were really no big laughs in it for me, with the exception of "The Ocho", but it is a funny movie and there was not one moment where I was not smiling.

I was going to give it a 4, but the last line of the movie bumps it up half a point. Every movie should end with that line.

4.5/5

Storme
Dec 7, 2003
The Running Man
3/5

Didn't hold me long enough to get much real enjoyment out of it, though it did have it's moments. I can only stand the scenes with Ben Stiller's character acting like an rear end so much, and it quickly got old.

A few twists keep you guessing, though the ending wasn't much of a surprize. Chalk this up to a poor movie rushed out by Stiller's group in an effort to get him to appear in over 3 movies in the course of the summer.

Fatsquirrel
Apr 10, 2003

Remember, 'evil' spelled bacwards is 'live' and we all want to do that!
I saw the movie last night. I am a fan of Ben Stiller (ever since the Ben Stiller Show), and even though his character in this film is like some of his past impressions (most notably Tony Robbins) I thought he played a good comedic villian.

What is best about this movie is that it is silly and it makes jokes without having to explain them to the audience. (Like the video segment of obscure sports in the ESPN 8 intro, the demotivational signs at Average Joes, or even the fact that the bar is called "Dirty Sanchez" but they just pan the camera past instead of holding it there waiting for the audience to "get it".)

My favorite line: after Average Joe's wins, "Do you believe in unlikelyhoods?!?!"

4/5

quote:

jiggaman0204 came out of the closet to say:
My girlfriend and I loathe Ben Stiller and every role he has ever done except for Happy Gilmore and this movie had us rolling.

I think you have Ben Stiller confused with Adam Sandler

MC Lee Harvey
Feb 29, 2004

by Lowtax

quote:

Doodad came out of the closet to say:
I think you have Ben Stiller confused with Adam Sandler
Ben Stiller was in Happy Gilmore.

As for this movie, I thought it was horrific. Take every awkward or unfunny scene from Zoolander, and you have pretty much the comedic basis for this film. I saw the trailer and thought this couldn't fail, but throughout the entire movie I just pondered over how much they missed each joke. Stiller's character is given one good line for every ten that make you cringe, and even Rip Torn's dialogue was unfunny. I thought the funniest part of the movie was that Vince Vaughn looked like he knew this movie wasn't funny, so he put little effort into his lines due to that. The only redeeming quality was the beauty of Christine Taylor. I'd suggest watching the trailer repeatedly for an hour rather than going to see this movie.

1/5

Harout
Jun 19, 2004
I knew Dodgeball was going to be an excellent movie, but i didn't expect to cry with laughter. I'm talking streams of tears like when you were a little school boy. It is certainly one of the movies that you may wanna laugh at again and again (i.e. super troopers). Comedic gold.

4.5 /5

Harout fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 20, 2004

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

You know it's kind of funny. I hated Zoolander. I was dragged to see this by my friends and actually laughed my rear end off. This movie was really funny. The coach was easily the best part. I can easily see myself stealing lots of his one-liners for a long time.

4/5

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
What I think is amazing here is that people are either giving it a 5 or a 1. Obviously, you are either going to love it or you are going to hate it. Personally, I loved it.

The plot is, as was mentioned above, a complete throwaway. I saw it as more of a parody of The Bad News Bears type movies. The crowd even chants "Let them play!" at the end, for god's sake. It's really just an excuse to throw some great comedic actors into well-worn territory and watch the ensuing goodness. Ben Stiller is basically reprising his role from "Heavyweights" and Vaughn is playing the "everyman" character that he has done a thousand times. Stephen Root plays Milton from "Office Space", except with sports goggles this time.

So why is it that I think the movie works so well? Because the actors understand that there is no moral to the story. They work as an ensemble and the script was written to allow them to play off each other. Every time Stiller's overly intense Goodman is onscreen with "goody-goody" Taylor or "I really don't give a gently caress about this" Vaughn, it works.

And the cameo from Lance Armstrong is amazing.

4.5/5

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This movie was excellent fun. I'm going to have to see it again because I couldn't hear some of the jokes over the din of laughter in the theater. It had some hilarious dumb humor with just enough high-brow jokes to make it memorable.

5/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Holy gently caress what an overrated piece of poo poo. It's Stiller and company going through the motions, coughing up the broadest, laziest gags they can come up with (the dork gets to lift the fat cheerleader, what a goddamn surprise). Sure they throw out lots of micro-humour, but so does a Leno monologue. Does anyone really get a laugh out of a restaurant called Dirty Sanchez? And Vince Vaughn absolutely phones in his performance. It's probably the most sedated performance from a lead since the Dolph Lundgren days.

One.

vorhese
Feb 16, 2002

brains for breakfast brains for brunch
One of the funniest movies I've seen in years. There were a few moments of nonfunniness that I could catch my breath on, luckily. 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

This movie had some good laughs in it. Nothing too noteable or anything that could be significant enough for a new catchphrase or anything, just a few laughs. The only real problem that I had with this story is the same old dreaded guy likes girl underdog team beats corporate evil whores storyline that is WAY overplayed in comedies today.

3/5