Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Div
May 27, 2001

Most of the bad reviews of this film will come from guys who play the role that Giovanni Trabisi does in this film and the reason they think "nothing happens" is because nothing happens to the only guy even remotely related to their position. There's a pre-20s girl (presumably she's supposed to be early 20s in this) and a middle aged, married with children actor and I think most guys will have trouble relating to their story. In particular I loved that one guy that rubbished the idea of "nothing happening" in the Big Lebowski only to say that the only thing that happens in Lost in Translation is "Bill Murray" goes to a bar. What a crock of poo poo.

I hated the portrayal of the Japanese people as the comedic element of the film but I also hated the portrayal of every white 20ish person in this film other than the female lead to be a loving annoying vacuous twat. So I guess ultimately there was no intended commentary on the Japanese culture other than sometimes its much better than ours and sometimes its quite annoying, which I think is fair and not racist or scathing like some people feel the directory was trying to portray. That's about the only thing I didn't like.

I absolutely adored the relationship between Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray. The fact that they didn't "get together" at the end and that he said something to her that 'made it all better' but you didn't even get to hear it, all these little touches - I think these will be things that will become cliché but at the time I had never saw anything like that before so they were great. If anything the story reminded me of a Murakami book (maybe because he's Japanese but whatever) in that it's a story between two people that love each other but not really a love story. It's more like a story of two people in seemingly comfortable, loving relationships who re-evaluate their situation only when they place a distance between themselves and their normal environment. Clarity with distance, that kind of poo poo. I liked that message.

It is nowhere near the "best film ever" nor is it groundbreaking or anything like that, but for someone who is pretty cynical about relationships in real life and especially in Hollywood, I found the message here a pretty relevant one.

I definitely have to be "in the mood" for this though, which I consider a bad thing as clasically "great" films usually drag me into the mood kicking and screaming.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU