Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynchmob
Jun 19, 2001
Find hungry samurai!

quote:

Orson Scott Card said of the movie:

"This is pure undergraduate filmmaking -- as so many independent movies are -- in which a general air of superiority and ennui is meant to be taken for intelligence and deep insights. I've seen enough of these (and enough of this kind of storytelling) to know that what we're really seeing is the filmmaker's soul.

The people of Japan aren't shallow. Writer/director Sofia Coppola is. If she went to Japan and this is all she saw, then shame on her."
I find it funny that the writer of Ender's Game, a book that rolls in its use of an air of superiority and ennui to make itself seem significant, would use those terms to try to critique a film. To call the films characterization of the japanese people shallow or racist requires a lot of tunnel vision. The characters interactions with the goofy side of Tokyo are equalled by as many scenes with the writers/directors obvious love for distinct and subtle parts of japanese culture. Tokyo, or just big cities in general, have strange things going on. It is not uncommon for people unaccustomed to such things to be put off.

Personally, I think the film is great. Its a strange love letter to Japan mixed with a nuisanced plot about an odd couple experiencing crossroads in their relationships. Its full of downkey scenes where not everything is spelled out in bold letters. I don't think it tries to deliver any life altering messages, so to say its pretenious is asinine.

One of my favorite films, 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU