Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knork
Dec 27, 2003
I really enjoyed watching this movie. I think that you really need to have something in common with the characters to appricate them. The film can't stir up particular emotions if they don't already exist in the viewer. I don't mean to sound judgmental or arrogant; it's just that people seem to either love the film or hate it. It's a case of "nothing happened" or "a lot happened". Two of of my friends thought the characters were extremely boring, whilst others accused them of not understanding body language.
Lost in Translation isn't a film for somebody who's never experienced boredom and loniless in a vibrate foreign culture. Nor is it a film for somebody who's never had to make a difficult choice concerning relationships. I don't think it's suitable for somebody who's completely happy either. Such a person may want to scream at the television and tell the character's to grow the gently caress up.
The film sucked me in completely. At the end of the film I had a very odd serene feeling. I felt that the character's had to get on with their average lives and so did I. Yet everything was ok.
I don't think critics who claim to understand the film actually do. There's nothing to understand, it's just pure escapism.

The cinematography and music are also very nice. The script walks on a tightrope between melodrama and romantic comedy. It doesn't take a single false step either. I kept waiting and waiting for something stupid to happen. My worries were unnesassery.

5/5

The film will either make you feel serene or bored.

Edit: I'm also not in a hurry to visit Japan. I feel that the film could work equally well with Asian characters in New York. Hell, it'd work with British characters in New York, if the stereotype machine were turned on full blast.

knork fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 23, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU