Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching this movie and having it colored by someone saying "it's like, wow, life can have so many different experiences" I kept thinking: Why?

I don't like slice of life movies. They're all the same. This movie contains such a boring, dead, generic story. I can't imagine how dull, privileged and devoid of conflicts someone's life must be to watch this movie and feel like it really says something. Bored people travel to different Countries, meet a different culture on a very superficial level, and go to random people's houses do nothing interesting in particular. Wow, what an engaging, exciting life story. Jesus.

For how much I cannot relate to the plot and for how much there was no chemistry between the two leads, I actually think the rest of the execution was pretty okay. The two leads seem do their job well as individual characters. The actual parts related to linguistics were interesting and amused me. The cinematography is good. Much like Harrison Ford I can never say whether Bill Murray is phoning in and we're just getting his real life reaction or if it's his acting, but it's irrelevant because it matches the character pretty well.

So as far as slice of life movies go, and I hate them, this is probably on the high end. Parts of this movie amused me. If you like this sort of movie, you'll likely love this far more than I can.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU