Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garibaldi
May 22, 2004
Card carrying member of the Extremely Silly Party
Directed by: Brian Helgeland
Starring: Heath Ledger, Rufus Sewell, Shannyn Sossamon

Director: Brian Helgeland
Starring: Heath Ledger, Rufus Sewell, Shannyn Sossamon

When I first watched this movie, I frankly did not like it in the least. The plot seemed a little too easy to follow, Heath Ledger is not the best actor to grace Hollywood with his presence, etc. But, a few days ago, I sat down to watch this movie again.

The plot is really not as bad as I had remembered. While it is not completely a revolutionary (rags to riches) idea for a movie, it did, in the end, create an enjoyable film. William's (Ledger) father gives his boy over to the care of a knight so that he may escape the poor life his father leads. After the knight dies, William decided to carry on in jousting tournaments as a fake noble. Movie ensues

Heath Ledger doesn't suck in the movie. He fits the role well, playing naive at some times and pseudo-wise at other times. (Watch Timeline, and then he REALLY does suck...) Rufus Sewell does an extremely good job and being a pompous rear end in a top hat, as he plays William's nemesis, and we all know the main character's nemesis must be an rear end in a top hat for it to be a good film...
Paul Bettany is in the movie as Sir William's herald, and he does a wonderful job to add to the atmosphere of the movie. I absolutely love that man...in as heterosexual a way as possible...right...

The rest of the cast do a great job, between a firey redhead played by Alan Tudyk and William's love-at-first-sight fancy played by Shannyn Sossamon. While the love story is a little trite and somewhat forced at times, the movie still rolls on well.

RATING: 4
If you are ever in need of an emotionally unattaching, funny, action movie, here it is.

Pros: Fun Movie, Great Acting (PAUL BETTANY!), good camera work
Cons: Rags to Riches deal, love story?

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183790/

RATING: 4

PROS: Overall funny movie, Great acting (some), Camera Work
CONS: Trite, Medieval rock music?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183790/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
A little piece of the world died when the crowd started stomping/clapping to the beat of Queen during a joust. I've never taken to anachronistic films (especially Shakespeare adapted to MTV), and this is one of the worst blends of contemporary culture with an older era. Shannyn Sossamon is pretty bad too, but she's terrible in everything.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Trite fun. I like how they blow off the consequences of casual sex in that era.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I really liked this movie. The story was "cute" and the script was really good. I like to quote a number of lines from the film from time to time and everytime I watch it I laugh a lot. PAUL BETTANY~! rules the movie but Mark Addy and Alan Tudyk are awesome too. I realize that whole anachronistic theme is cheesy but that didn't really bother me. The movie never made any pretenses about being a serious movie with a lesson or anything, it was meant to be a fun popcorn film set in medieval times and it certainly delivered well on that.

4.5/5

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Heath Ledger is decent in it, but his ability doesn't save the movie for me.

The infinite strings of jousts get boring. Yes, they are a major part of the plot, but they're all shot almost exactly the same way and they increase the length of the movie way over what I think that the story could've been handled in. Normally length wouldn't be a problem to me--I don't dislike length in movies--but many unneccessary, unaesthetic things were in the film.

I think almost all of the jokes are unfunny (the version that I saw showed highly visible boxers on Chaucer when he was supposed to be naked; I did laugh at that). This hurts the movie because it comes off to me as trying and failing to be a light-hearted romp.

It's a watchable movie, and I'd watch it again if it was on and I wasn't planning on doing anything else, or if a friend suggested it. But, I also think Road House is a watchable movie, and that doesn't mean it's good film.

2.5 rating, including an extra point-five to counteract my classic rock elitism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Loved it. Good plot, good visuals, kooky modern music boy gets the girl in the end.

Pure brain candy.