Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Directed by: Sam Raimi
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Alfred Molina, Bruce Campbell

I must first begin with this. Spiderman 2 was awesome with a capital WOOOOO!

I am not a Spiderman fanboy. I have read, perhaps, one Spiderman comic. I was pleased but not overly impressed with Spiderman's first film. I would very much like to watch Spiderman 2 again, right now.

The intensity that this film conveys to you is impressive. You first really notice it when Doctor Octavian is fiddling with Nature. The SOUND of that scene was powerful. You truly feel this world Sam Raimi has filmed is real. Things have weight, and substance. The cinematography was fantastic, blah blah blah. It looked, sounded, and felt spectacular. No more super bendy Spiderman. He moved as realistically as I felt he should for a human spider.

On to the story. Spiderman isn't very happy with his life. He has no money, J. Jonah Jameson (expertly portrayed yet again by J.K. Simmons) has convinced half the city that Spiderman sucks, and Peter has stopped taking pictures of himself to sell because of this. His life is essentially falling apart. He can't even shoot his web half the time, which of course made me think of this drat picture for half of the movie:

That, surprisingly, didn't detract from it for a second. The parts where he couldn't were supposed to be mostly funny, basically an impotence joke, and that picture made them even funnier.

Finally, after shitpile after shitpile falls on his head, he quits being Spiderman. Bad things start happening once he's gone, and that leads to the point of this film: Choice.

Raimi really conveyed this message well. Everyone has to make choices, big and small, to live in the world. He shows consequences for those choices, both good and bad, and shows how no matter what, they must be made. At the same time, he didn't beat you over the head with it, like the "With great power comes great responsibility" rap from the last film.

There were a few bits of dialogue that were boring as all hell, mostly from Maryjane, with some odd, very comic book style stuff. Peter Parker and Doc Ock talking to themselves, while fine in a comic book where you can have thought bubbles, is a little wierd on screen. Other than that, I wasn't pulled out of the film once.

This is a simply fantastic sequel, I'm talking X-2 or better here, and it sucks that I have to wait until May 2007 for part 3. Go see this film.

Edit: I failed to express how truly AWESOME the action sequences were. I was actually left breathless after one scene the train. It was exceptionally well done.

RATING: 5

PROS: Excellent action sequences, Brilliant final confrontation, High energy
CONS: Drags maybe twice, for maybe five minutes

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0316654/

Kruller fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aberration
Sep 11, 2001
Saw a sneak screening tonight. It was as good if not better than the first.The only thing that bugged me was the fact
I didn't like the ending. It dragged on and the whole "Got the girl, oh wait nope, oh wait yes got kind of annoying There was also some hot hot Kirsten Dunst nipple action too :keke:

Solid 4/5.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

What a treat is must be for Sam Raimi to make these Spider-Man movies. The characters in the original 60s comics by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko are so perfectly developed and ready to go, from the amazing costumes and powers to the tortured dramas, it's like the director just has to wave a magic wand and bring their brilliance to the screen.

Spider-Man 2 is an excellent next issue in the series, and it doesn't disappoint in any capacity. All the action, drama, jaw-dropping fight scenes, humor, and special effects you could dream of are there. And the glue the holds it all together is Tobey Maguire, in the role he was born to play, Peter Parker. Spider-Man may not be the most fantastic super-hero ever created, but Peter is easily the most interesting "alter-ego" of them all. Bruce Wayne was a brooding bore when he wasn't Batman, and Clark Kent was just a sham holding all of those super-powers back while he pretended to be one of us. Peter, who carries the burden of being responsible for his Uncle's death, who bottles in his love for Mary Jane, and can barely find time to work or study (because apparently New York Cops are pretty helpless without him) is full of more angst than a stadium full of Chicago Cubs fans.

Maguire's performance is superlative in this film, and almost as fascinating to watch out of costume, than in. But if you're expecting good Spidey action, you won't be be let down. In a hilarious opening scene, Parker has to drive his moped 42 blocks in 7 minutes to deliver some pizzas, or he'll lose his job. A traffic jam makes the job insurmountable, so he rides in to an alley, and emerges as Spider-Man to finish the job, prompting an onlooker to shout, "He stole that guy's pizza!"

The inspired casting of Alfred Molina as Dr. Octopus works very well, too. A marginal and dumpy scientist, a freak accident (aren't they all in the comics?), fuses 4 giant robotic arms to his back, and boy are they a kick to see. Using a mixture of computer effects, and actual animatronic arms, his amazing steel arms weave about and behave with a mind of their own. They even manage to convey emotion, making him a treat to watch every moment he's on the screen.

Dunst works well as Mary Jane Watson again in this installment. She loves Peter, but is too much of a mystery to crack. Fearful that he'll only hurt her, he continues to be flaky and shun his advances to the point where he practically drives her into the arms of a handsome young astronaut, John Jameson (who happens to be the son of boss, once again played brilliantly by J.K. Simmons). And yes, staying with what worked well in the first film, we're treated to the always crowd-pleasing special effect of Dunst in a cold wet dress again.

There's great twists and turns in the story, and the fight scenes are a thing of beauty. A sequence where Octopus and Spidey fight on a train is thrilling, and the emotional payoff at the end almost made me cry. I'm happy there was so many legal hassles and delays in getting this franchise off the ground because I cringe at the thought of 80s/90s special effects being utilized to realize this adventure.

It's easy to say this is the best super-hero movie ever made, but I think that belittles the great work Sam Raimi and the cast did in putting this together. Spider-Man 2 is one of the better movies, period, I've seen in quite a while. A credit to the source material, and the vision to be faithful to it was all it took. This movie has a lot of heart to it, and that's what separates it from the other spandex operas that'll ever be made.

Also, if you're concerned at all about the direction of the additional sequels, you'll be leaving with a big smile on your face, eagerly awaiting the next, without the poo poo of a cliffhanger ending.

And don't bother staying through the credits if you're looking for something special, nothing is there.

5 of 5 stars.

More things to look for:

-Bruce Campbell is back as the usher at the theater. His lines are pretty substantial so you'll not miss him unless you're peeing.

-When Spidey and Doc Ock first meet, pay attention to the crowd below, an elderly gentleman who pushes a lady away from falling debris is Stan Lee!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

What every person before me has said is 100% correct. This movie is indeed fantastic. The first Spiderman was right up my alley, superb character development, honest emotion, campy fun and insanely well done action and the second movie is that through and through.

That being said, it does have its cons, which i feel have yet to be fully discussed. It does suffer from cheesy, typical hollywood dailouge at times though Sam Raimi is competent enough to keep those from dominating the movie like so many others of this genre. Not entirely predictible or groan inducing like scenes from the Hulk, Punisher, Xmen or DD, but with the imagination and execution of the rest of the movie, i feel they could've really broken away from the same ol crap.

Toby Maguire has always been lacking as an actor to me, and although i honestly couldnt think of a better Peter Parker, there are times when i feel he brings the movie down a bit. There are moments of extreme intensity, both emotional and physical that seem less powerful/dramatic because of this. Fortunately, the scenes where he is perfect far out number where he is not.

It also follows too close for comfort the formula and progression of the first Spiderman. Not necessarly a bad thing, as the forumla produces a very entertaining flick, it just nagged me how similar they were.

None of these nitpicks should deter you from seeing and enjoying this film, i wouldnt hesitate to give this 5/5.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 29, 2004

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Best superhero movie ever made? Well, it ranks way up there for sure. One thing I can tell you, in my opinion the train sequence of this movie is the best action sequence in any superhero movie I've ever seen. Alfred Molina as Dr. Octopus is excellent, and the arms are pretty good actors in themselves. I really don't have anything bad to say about this film. One thing I did like, the CGI wasn't at all noticeable to me, where in the first film I could always tell it was a CGI spidey swinging around. I'll give this 5/5.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
So good so good so good!

Probably on the whole on par with X2 but it has some moments that just kick you so hard in the rear end you can't believe it. Thank you Sam Raimi, for treating Spiderman with such love and affection :)

5/5

Would be a 4.5 if it weren't spiderman.

Raptor10001
May 7, 2003

Bend over and show me your Dark Side.

quote:

Aberration came out of the closet to say:
Saw a sneak screening tonight. It was as good if not better than the first.The only thing that bugged me was the fact
I didn't like the ending. It dragged on and the whole "Got the girl, oh wait nope, oh wait yes got kind of annoying There was also some hot hot Kirsten Dunst nipple action too :keke:

Solid 4/5.

-yes the nipple action wasn't as good as the first one, but it was there
-i also agree it should've ended at the green goblin scene
-i also enjoyed the Evil Dead tribute with the chainsaw!!!!!!!!!
-some of the CG was great some of it was meh
-some of the acting seemed over the top also

5/5 faults forgiven in that it kicked serious rear end

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Five point loving five. This movie was ten thousand times better than the first movie. I was in awe pretty much the entire time.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
This is exactly what a comic book movie should be.

It felt like a comic. The action was paced well, and it was even funny.

I kinda wish they had foreshadowed more with Doctor Conners, but I guess his day will come in the fourth movie.

5/5 - The pinacle of comic book movies.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
As been said, a very good comic book movie. Without repeating what's above, I'll add:

Raimi has a little more of his trademark style back in this flick- the camera angles, the bizarre first person views. A scene soon after Doc Ock comes into being really hits you over the head with this (and even with an Evil Dead reference). For some reason I was also amused by the first person hor d'ouerves tray.

Combat scenes FELT like comic book combat scenes, and it's hard to put a finger on why. They didn't feel like this in the first movie. Might be because there's a whole lot of people getting thrown around, objects as well. I wouldn't have changed a thing, it fit the movie perfectly.

I was expecting Doc to be a stupid villian, I ended up liking him alot and wanting much more of him.

A subtle joke. "I'm back, I'm back! Ow, my back, my back!" If anyone remembers, Tobey had hurt his back during the time period of filming, and there was this big rumor he was going to be replaced with Jake G... I suspect this line was intentional.

This movie didn't take itself so seriously as the first- there were many humorous touches, and most of them work well. elevator, singin' in the rain It doesn't feel forced, and I mean that from a director/story flow aspect. I do have a bit of a quibble with the way things were resolved with Doc, but it's passable.

Yes, there's lots of CG still, and it's still a little "bendy", but it IS better than the first, and there were several times when I couldn't tell if I was looking at an actor or a graphic. I also don't remember spidey's suit being so... sheen? Once on the rooftop I thought it was CG when I realized it was just the very odd material the suit was made of that makes it look surreal. Perhaps to better blend in with the CG? It worked, in any case.

All in all, a pretty good flick. 4.5/5

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The trend this year seems to be "make a lot of sequels." However, 2004 must be blessed, as these sequels are generally turning out to be just as good, if not better than the original. Spider-man 2 follows this trend and beyond.

The movie doesn't waste time in setting up the pace. Conflict is described early on, and tension follows throughout the movie. I hate movies in which I find myself wishing for something to happen in the conflict. The "kiss her, you fool" syndrome, as it were, always aggravates me. However, this means it's a very well-made movie, as it creates emotion in the audience. SM2 is extremely adept at this technique, and the viewer finds themselves entranced by the drama onscreen. Every foray between Mary Jane and Peter seems to draw all of the audiences' souls into the screen, and, whether you admit it or not, you find yourself rooting one way or the other.

As far as technical elements, the CG is top notch. There were a few less-than-stellar moments, but the overall impression was great. Dr. Octopus' mechanical arms are extremely developed, and there are many times they could very well be real. Spider-man himself was very well-rendered throughout most of the film. There's really not much to complain about in that area.

Spider-man 2 is an excellent movie. It takes everything great from the last film, and adds even more on top of that. There is a very distinct feeling that you are watching a comic book, and that's a good thing. The ending, while I won't spoil anything, is very much a cliffhanger, just like many issues of the comics will end up as. You find yourself wanting more.

The only criticism I possibly have also lies in the ending. It follows ROTK Disease in which there seem to be more than one ending. You think it's over, than it isn't. Really, it doesn't detract anything from the film, but a little rearrangement in the order of things would have easily fixed this problem.

Overall, I give this a 5/5. It's an outstanding movie, especially for the Spidey lover. Go see it, twice if need be.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Just saw this movie, and it is one of the best superhero movies ever, on par with X2 and Batman.

All the actors did a much better job in the movie, and all the supporting characters had a lot more to do, and did a great job with the extra screentime.

Alfred Molina was an incredible Dr. Octopus and Otto Octavius. The CG Spiderman looked infinitely better than in Spiderman 1, and the fight scenes were spectacular. The train fight was one of the best fights I've ever seen.

The movie had some great "comic" moments, with a couple scenes that were notable for being famous scenes in the comic. [dork]Specifically, a scene from Amazing Spiderman vol 1 #39, and another couple scenes from Amazing Spiderman vol 1 #50[/dork]

Of course Bruce Campbell did a great job, this time as the Snooty Usher, and as usual, Stan Lee saved someone from falling rubble

The love scenes were a little too melodramatic, but that was offset by the great fight scenes.

I give this movie: 5/5

Spork
May 20, 2001
Just got back from the 12:01 show. This movie is awesome.

The best part of the entire thing is how much Raimi seems to jump between cinematic genres whenever he drat well pleases, to great effect.

The second part is Doc Ock's acting opposite his arms... Alfred Molina could teach Lucas a thing or two about acting with CGI. It's amazing.

There's a little bit of everything in this movie, so just about anyone will enjoy at least one aspect of this film. The acting is pretty good, the CGI is often-times breathtaking, and the entire experience has me pumped to see it again.

My unrepentent fanboy vote is a 5/5.

Sinistar55
Jan 15, 2003

I hunger!
My review is a bit kiltered because I was drunk before I saw it tonight. I dozed through the first bit, but so did other members of my party who had not been drinking. After the first 30 minutes however, I was wide awake and very happy with what I saw. 90% of the action scenes were of the highest caliber and the portrayal of Dr. Octopus was superb.

I only had a couple issues with the film. I couldn't connect to Tobey; I feel that he's physically suited to the role but the personality he conveys as Peter Parker is not the one I would like to see. I realize that this may be a vision of Stan Lee or of Sam Raimi, but in my mind I view Spiderman as being less melodramatic and angsty. I would like to see a stronger character possessing quicker wits and more masculine qualities. Another issue along the same lines would be Dunst's character. At times I found her conflictd to be fairly trite and certain scenes seem to be a chore to struggle through. This was probably due to my state of mind and the fact that I am just a bit put off by the plot changes to introduce her character in the first movie (but I realize that it would be hard on audiences to kill off a leading lady and introduce a new one).

The directing is fantastic and aside from a few scenes the acting is quite good.

4/5

bradford
Sep 25, 2003
Victory Is Mine!
Just got back from the 12:01 show. This movie is awesome.

This movie is definatly a must see, the action sequences were some of the best ever.

I'm not a die hard spiderman fan, not even close. I'm still giving this movie a 4/5

blairerickson
May 18, 2002

by Eris Is Goddess
A terrific, well-plotted, meticulously executed comic book tale that manages to develop some really nice tension, characters, and new drama for Spiderman.

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
Also just got back from a 12:01 show. I enjoyed this movie very very much and would recommend you see it while it's in theaters to get the full effect. The only parts about this evening I didn't like were the long wait/anticipation, the huge nerd that wouldn't quit talking in line behind me, and my state of sleepiness. Sitting in my chair back at home, I have no reservation in saying that I would have gladly gone to greater lengths to see it.

5/5

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Good god the fight scenes were amazingly well done, and the CGI was exceptionally good. I will most likely be seeing this again in theatres which for me says a lot about a film

5/5

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02
Every positive thing that's been said about the movie has been said so far in this thread, so I'll just add my vote of a 5, because it was really loving good, and one of the best comic book movies ever. Everything about it was done so loving well that I could hardly believe that it was as mega-million-dollar blockbuster summer film. I especially liked the ending, and how Peter didn't miraculously raise the money to give to Aunt May to buy back her house, didn't get some stupid bullshit excuse for his powers failing, and set up the next movie rather well. My only complaint was that Doc Ock redeemed himself and then died, as he hasn't died (yet) in the comics, as far as I know. I would've preferred him to be taken into custody by the FBI or something, but that's such a small complaint for such an overall great movie, I can deal with it.

5/5

aos
Mar 4, 2004
I, as a Raimi fanboy more than a Spiderman fanboy, went to see this movie. I liked the first one, but not too much so.

This one, on the other hand, blew me away. There's so much going on at multiple levels for the audience to take in. The film critic will see numerous homages to Raimi's film making (Bruce Campbell, "monster/projectile-cam," chainsaw) and subtle commentaries. One of the most Raimi-esqe sequences, for those who don't know, was the "awakening" in the Hospital; it had me cracking up while simultaneously being horrified by the violence on screen. Similarly, the audience who knows nothing of Sam Raimi will enjoy the subdued, introspective plot and the excellently done action sequences. There's a healthy dose of humor, although it had me rolling my eyes at one point. There's also a healthy dose of effects; it's not noticeable. I was, for once, immersed in the movie.

Excellently done.

5/5

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Best Comicbook Movie Ever. You will not be dissapointed. I agree with krullerthe train part took me for a spin. I forgot I was at the movies especially right then. Keep a sharp eye out for Bruce Campbell again (he's not hard to spot, but Stan Lee is!), he's one of many many welcome surprises!

Favorite Surprise:
:SUPER SPOILER!: WILLEM DAFOE! WILLEM-loving-DAFOE RULES! WELCOME BACK!:SUPER SPOILER!:

5.5/5!!

Side Note: I've been reading early Spider-man comics (1-60), and the thing that I got a big kick out of is his stupid Mo-ped, he has one just like it in the comics, and I was cracking up so much about it, that the guy behind me had to ask what was so drat funny. He also asked me who Bruce Campbell was.

False Rumor: No 'lead-in' to Venom. None. Not one loving symbiot. If you heard the rumor that this movie leads up to Venom, somebody lied. The closest we get to Venom is J.J.J.'s Son (I know Eddie Brock is Venom, but John Jamison brings the symbiot to Earth first) returned from space, which might lead in to Venom and a villain team up in S-M3. PLEEEEEASE SAM!
This spoiler is really half a spoiler. It won't kill anything for you if you look at it, but like in the movie, you have a choice.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 30, 2004

Furio
Sep 30, 2002

by OMGWTFBBQ
5.5 Gents

There are only two other movies that come close to this in pure enjoyment for me, Return of the King and Spider-Man.

Top to bottom, fantastic and incredible. The visuals like Doc Ock climbing the buildings to more Web Slinging to The AWESOME fight scenes make me sit there witha dropped jaw thinking "This is what it would look like if Spider-Man was real, and I was in the City wathing from the sidewalks." It gave me goose bumps.

The characters, the acting, the storyline, excellent. And for anybody bitching about the ending, get off it. Do you really think people wanted to wait for Pete and MJ to hook in the 3rd movie? gently caress that, Peter Parker and Mary Jane are the best couple in comics. It was perfect.

Also, I called the very ending. They're standing there kissing and I'm saying to myself "Sirens are gonna start wailing and Peter is going to look away and MJ is going to say 'Go Get Em Tiger!' " I loving knew it.

5.5 Gents, 5.5

Furio fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2004

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
4.5, only because i had impossibly high expectations after reading all these reviews.

Rayze
Feb 21, 2004
The Guy
Quite possibly the first time my impossibly high expectations were lived up to in a movie. I absolutely loved the first one--it's one of my favorite movies of all time, but this movie somehow tops it. There's one action scene that will completely blow you away. I never read any of the comics, but this movie is quite possibly the greatest thing in the world.

Movie fanboy vote: 5.5/5

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
The first was an amazing movie, and this one was even better. My only small gripe is some of the CG was kind obvious (when he was swinging around at the end of the movie, the helicopters looked kind of plastic)

5/5

Generic Superhero
Nov 9, 2000

You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.
Being a rather large Spider-Man fan going into this movie I had huge expectations and I was not disappointed ONE. BIT.

Everything from beginning, middle, and end was well done and perfect. The fights, web slinging, and tenticle action alone warrant a 5. Unlike the first one, this one also FELT like a Sam Raimi movie, and that's not a bad thing. If Bruce himself had been the doctor trying to chainsaw off one of doc ock's tentacles, that would have been loving perfect, but no one would have wanted to see him die.

The humor in this one was very apparent and made for a much better Spider-Man movie. I say it that way because the Spidey comics themselves constantly switched between banter, exposition, action and comedy. This movie covered all of those and to whoever else said this movie felt like a comic was right on.

JJJ was great as usual, anything with JK Simmons as Jameson is comedy gold. Especially right when he starting saying that he had driven Spider-Man away. You have to love a movie that makes fun of its own melodrama. He was cheesy, the music was cheesy, it was great. It will be interesting to see how he treats Peter in the 3rd one.

Best geek moment: Seeing Robbie Robertson give a glimmer of recognition to Peter when JJJ was talking about Spider-Man. Just seeing that was great, because it was always understood that Robbie knew Peter was Spidey.

Ending spoiler:
-Yeah, Doc Ock dies. I was annoyed, but he redeemed himself, and I was surprised how much of a nice guy they made him out to be, that's why I wasn't upset.

-Harry's discovering Norman's goblin stash was the most true, faithful things to the source material I have ever seen in a comic book movie. I got chills hearing the goblin laugh, and then BANG, Dafoe, egging Harry on and leading him to discover the equipment.

- Regarding MJ and Peter at the end, I was so hoping that the goblin would be blowing up those choppers.

But, it ended perfectly anyway, fanboy dreams aside. Going into the next movie knowing that they introduced Doc Conners, John Jameson, and Green Goblin 2, it will be great seeing what direction they take. Avoiding spoilers will be tough.

A huge 5/5.

Generic Superhero fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 30, 2004

Chain Lightning
Dec 24, 2003
Best comic book movie ever. Great action scenes and a really great story to go along with it. 5/5

crihsagnlel
Jan 15, 2004

by SpokkerJones
I didn't like this movie for the most part(nor the 1st really).
It seemed like they dragged on unimportant events, like the fact that his webbing didn't work, but barely noted the reason why it didn't work. I gathered through context clues that now he could only use it when he needed it not just for screwing around or whatever, but if I was a kid/woman I would have been like "uh ok wut/" And everything about octavius was annoying, although I really liked the actor. I HAVE RENEWABLE POWER SOURCE(btw i made arm things)THE SUN IS MINE FOR ALL
I could not think of any adequate reason why anyone on earth would ever need those arm things unless it was some kind of military prototype. The fact that he needed them to control his ball of energy that didn't release radiation while releasing radiation(?) did not do it for me :P

I couldn't figure out whether it was gravity or just magicnetism that was sucking everything into the mini-star, one minute it would be pulling cars in from miles away but not dr. octopus' tentacles. later pulling in mj and metal, but not spidey or octavius(having metal also) :(
Man this movie got annoying on so many levels that i found myself mostly just chuckling half-heartedly at whatever i could to pass the time.

I have to say it, I was waiting for the fight-scenes to end so the movie would progress. Dr. Ock is old, some punches to the ol' glass jaw and K.O.

As far as special effects go, they were used with much more class than the first film. I could still tell spidey was cgi along with those crappy helicopters, but atleast he didn't do matrix moves all over the place. I really liked when he was in the cafe with mj and the car came through the window, all slo-mo with no sound, that was cool.

My friend was cringing through most of the film, having read a ton of the comics when he was younger(myself shuddering through the trailer of 'I,Robot').
In the end, I decided that spiderman 2 is an action movie for girls, with more than enough romance/smooches to counter the scenes with quick flashes of scary noises or whatever. Most girls in the theater were either 'awww heart' or '-EEH!', the guys were either totally silent or laughing sadistically at whatever bystander was being killed/etc at the moment.

This movie was not good to say the least, you guys are emo.

edit: stan lee is so noticeable :)

1/5

crihsagnlel fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 30, 2004

allroy
Oct 3, 2003

Allroy for Prez
Amazing movie... just loving great!

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
If you have seen any of Sam Raimi's other films, most noticably the Evil Dead series, you will notice his influence in this movie much more so than in the original Spider-man. The first one had to be PERFECT, and it came off as the 5th highest grossing movie of all time. I think Raimi had alot of free reign in this film.

Especially the scene in the hospital, with the chainsaw. The quick cuts, the lack of music, the camera moving to follow things, the shadow work. It was brilliant and totally had me rolling

I also agree with some of the other reviewers that, like the last movie, alot of the scenes between MJ and Peter were awkward and kind of ruined some of the pace. But, they made up for it in the train scene. Oh god, the train scene.

4.5/5

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
I liked how conflicted Parker was, I found that to be Spider-man, because he is pulled from his own self to become a hero, when all he wants is to be free. Action sequences were well done, the Train sequence was really great to watch. I liked how the kept the ending open. But I'm hoping for Venom.

Panties
Apr 18, 2002
Freshly Laundered
I thought it was a great movie. The fight scenes were excellent, (especially the subway one which I think is the best action sequence in a comic movie to date). The villians were great and the story was great. The only drawback was that some of the dialog was slow. The content wasn't really the problem it was just that the dialog scenes became a bit dull and repetitive.

I liked the camera angles and shots of the crowd and the bystanders during the fight scenes. And I dug how the fight scenes raged through the city and involved a lot of property damage. Classic comic book battle action.

4.5 (.5 points being removed for the repetitive use of angst and Uncle Ben flashbacks)

Edit: The Alex Ross artwork during the opening credits was a great bonus for the nerds.

Panties fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 30, 2004

MrBisco
Sep 28, 2001

I GUESS I'M STILL A BIT TOO JEW-DEFENSIVE
I've been trying to figure out why I don't like this movie, being that I agree with what most people are saying yet still found myself laughing audibly at the idiocy of the entire project most of the way through the film.

I think I just don't like Spiderman. I don't think I ever have.

So, in summation, if you don't like Spiderman, you probably won't like this movie. I didn't.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Saw the matinee showing at 10:05. I can't really add to anything anyone has said, because I think all of it's been said. Action was crazy go nuts, the story was excellent, CG was a whole lot better than the first. It tops the first one, and the first one was excellent.

Sadly, I missed the hospital scene. I had to take a leak, and I walked back in when the chainsaw hit the floor. I didn't make the connection of chainsaw -> Evil Dead -> Sam Raimi -> Spiderman until you guys said something. No matter, I'll be seeing this again.

5/5

P.S. - Oh God Train Scene :megamon:

P.P.S - As someone said earlier, If Bruce Campbell would have played the doctor in that scene, I would have shot a load.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 1, 2004

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

quote:

NarkyBark came out of the closet to say:
A subtle joke. "I'm back, I'm back! Ow, my back, my back!" If anyone remembers, Tobey had hurt his back during the time period of filming, and there was this big rumor he was going to be replaced with Jake G... I suspect this line was intentional.

First off, It wasn't a rumor. Gyllenhal did replace Maguire for a bit, before the boss of Universal Studios called up Sony and convinced them to stick with Toby.

Ah, the movie.

It was loving great, and I'm not going to use spoiler tags for the review (except for talking about the next movie), because anything that I say should not be a spoiler, it's a comic book movie, and Raimi did an excellent job with staying true to the material while changing it up a bit.

While I've always been a DC Comics guy, I've always liked Spider-Man. Why? Because he's one of the few heroes that is an actual person. He's an oridinary guy, that's been thrust into an extraordinary situation (having Super-powers and dealing with Super-villians), and he has to deal with it. The closest character that DC has is Batman, because much like Spider-Man, guilt and conscience created the hero.

The difference is sacrifice. Batman uses Bruce Wayne as a persona, granted, he is Bruce Wayne by birth, but he doesn't care about leading the life that Bruce Wayne had. Peter Parker is different. Notice that I said Peter Parker, not Spider-Man. Spidey is a character that Parker portrays to fight crime. He has to be both, the hero and the person, and as a result, he must suffer. gently caress what I said earlier, spoiler tag time. He cannot simply be Peter Parker. The building fire showed that. He can't ignore it when people around him die, when he can stop it. When he was Parker, he saved the little girl, but he couldn't save the guy on the 4th floor. If he's just Spider-Man, he's depressed, and a mess. That's why he lost his powers, he became an empty shell. No money, lovely grades, no love life. Hello allegory for adulthood.

Raimi did an excellent job with the movie. It had a lot more humor than the first one, which is great, because while the first one was good, it didn't have all of the humor that Spider-Man is known for having. And Raimi took a lot of his trademarks from Evil Dead and integrated it flawlessly.

The acting was great in this movie, they took the standard comic book movie formula, and the made it look like no one has tried it before in the history of film-making.

The next movie will be even better, and here's why. The first movie was about Parker dealing with the fact that he has super powers, and most do something. The second was that he must balance being a hero and being a person, and making the necessary sacrifices. The third one shows what happens when the two worlds collide. His next "villian" is his best friend, gone mad. Harry wants his revenge on Peter, but he is conflicted, because he doesn't really want to kill his best friend. Peter is conflicted because he doesn't want to fight his best friend, but has no choice. He simply must.

I have not seen a comic book movie as good as Spider-Man 2. As much as I loved Superman 1 and 2, if you were to look at those two compared to the Spider-Man movies, Spidey takes the cake. Throw away special effects, because that creates an unfair comparison. Storyline, direction, and acting. Superman was great, these were just better.

5.5/5. I will be surprised if I ever vote a 5.5/5 on another movie.

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
I liked it a lot more than the first one. That being said, some scenes were sort of slow, mainly the ones involving Peter and his hard life (waaah I have no job and I'm barely passing in school waaah).

I thought Alfred Molina was great as Doc Ock and the character of Jonah Jameson was done perfectly.

4.5/5

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I just got back, and I loved it. I know I posted some bad things about the novel in other Spider-Man threads earlier, but the movie paced it all well and pulled it off. Great flick.

One thing for all you folk out there worried about Doc Ock, I expect that if they want to, they can bring him back. He seemed to have some of the attributes that the original character had from his very first appearance, since if you will recall the accident that created him gave him "radioactive" superhuman strength and toughness in addition to his tentacles in that old comic. Sure, Spidey still dropped him with one punch eventually in that tale, but it was a hell of a punch. I think Marvel eventually dropped that side of Doc's character, making the tentacles and his madness/intellect his primary powers, but in the movie, Doc was trading both tentacle and physical blows with Spidey, and he was taking hits well, even dead-on in the face. No regular human can pull that off.

If anyone can survive what happened, this Doc probably can. Heck, in the comics he survived many times when everyone thought he was dead anyway.

Can you tell that I have become a HUGE Doc Ock fanboy? The movie got him perfect. I wanna see more.

niec
Mar 23, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I just got back from seeing it an I enjoyed it quite a bit. The action sequences were fan-loving-tastic and Doctor Octopus was cast perfectly. My main complaints are how the plot dragged at some points and how I thought the CGI was pretty bad.

This movie scores bonus points for having Bruce Cambpell and Willem Dafoe in it.

4.5/5.

Dear Mom. Greg Died
Mar 5, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I think this might be the best movie I've ever seen.

5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

quote:

aos came out of the closet to say:
One of the most Raimi-esqe sequences, for those who don't know, was the "awakening" in the Hospital; it had me cracking up while simultaneously being horrified by the violence on screen

You described how I felt in that scene perfectly. It was cliche and truly effective at the same time, which, I must say, is a strange feeling. Did I mention that this movie was great? I'm actually going to see it again in the super spiffy theater we have in town, where the tickets are twice the normal or more. It's that good.