Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

NaughtyPenguin came out of the closet to say:

-The eeeevill arms. Ok - so they have some AI that assists the user, and makes it possible to control the arms without having to spend years adapting to tentacle-like appendages. They come out of nowhere - that's ok, the audience was expecting them sooner, rather than later. I can accept that they are controlled via direct neural link. The metal spine looks nice and sinister as it attaches.

There! Right then! Did you catch it? That little blue thing at apex of the spine, that's the point where the believability starts getting thin. At this point, we can still say "Ok, the inhibitor keeps his higher brain functions from being affected by the arms' artificial intelligence. Hell, if that weren't there, he might have trouble speaking or using creative problem solving, since the feedback from a mind-machine interface could be disruptive otherwise.

That's not what the inhibitor does, however. In fact, the arms are INHERENTLY EVIL. That's correct. Remember that movie, Idle Hands? Me neither. Think Army of Darkness, then (I think. It might be Evil Dead II. Been a while). Bruce Cambell's hand turns evil. It wants to kill him, and cause mayhem in general. His hand becomes inherently evil, and he cuts it off with a chainsaw. This is ok. Hell, it's even funny, beacuse once Bruce grafts the chainsaw onto the stump, he's got a chainsaw for a hand. And that's quality.

Sadly, this doesn't translate quite as well to a serious action movie. The arms defend themselves from being cut off. This is still believable, I think; Otto's subconcious could have been controlling the arms - the dark part of him that surfaced as a result of killing his wife could have wanted to strike out, and a programmed AI protocol to restrict damage to the arms could have acted on that...and set up a wonderful little start to Otto's descent into villany. Instead, in the next scene, Otto hears a voice in his head, while the snakelike arms click and hiss like his very own personal Serpent. The AI, for some reason, wants to be that little devil on his shoulder, with massive cybernetic implants.

Maybe it would work if you believed that the influence of the arms was entirely his subconcious - sinister serpentine movement and all. But the concept of the inhibitor chip contradicts that, as does his very swift descent to evil. Maybe I'm just too nitpicky, but hey - I like my villains human.

the arms weren't inherently evil... killing the doctors, like you said, was in self defense. but the arms for the rest of the movie were only trying to do what they were built to do: handle and maintain that supernova energy thing. They attacked all those people, including spiderman and peter parker in turn, because they were jeopardizing his project. The arms saw spiderman rip the machine out of the wall, so it blames him for the energy device failure. That's why the arms hate spiderman. Also, the reason doc ocks arms attack spiderman is because harry was willing to give all the tritium or whatever to doc ock if he brought spiderman to harry. What I'm trying to say is that the arms were only trying to do what they were built to do, be that in "evil" ways or not, the arms can't distinguish. They are only trying to get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU