Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)

Pillbug

I'm posting a somewhat dissenting review. Despite being something of a buff for older films, somehow I didn't manage to see Raging Bull in its entirety until last night. And I was disappointed, at least relative to the stellar reputation of this film.

As others have already posted, the fight cinematography is groundbreaking. The camerawork, the lighting. The grainy black-and-white look is perfect for the subject matter. The musical score. All of these elements are brilliant. The acting is also top notch; DeNiro comes through with his most sincere and natural performance; emotional without being over-the-top. The supporting cast is very strong too.

But in spite of all this, I found the film to be emotionally unengaging. There's no character in this film that I found particularly interesting or likeable, or even unlikeable in an interesting way. The protagonist is basically a jealous, paranoid, wifebeating bum. I didn't feel any joy or suspense in his victories over his opponents in the ring, because his opponents are mostly undefined ciphers. I don't have pity for the LaMotta character because his failures seem largely of his own making. When the movie was over, I didn't feel anything.

Despite Raging Bull's technical and artistic strengths, it just didn't give me what I want from a movie. Rated 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU