Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Directed by: Gus Van Sant
Starring: Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Robin Williams, Minnie Driver

Plot: Good Will Hunting is about a genius, (Matt Damon), who works as a janitor at MIT and is a classic underachiever. After solving a complicated math problem he is discovered by a professor who keeps him from going to jail after he is arrested for a street fight. The court mandates counseling and after going through several shrinks, Will meets Sean, (Robin Williams), who is a shrink still grieving from losing his wife. Through their sessions they end up helping each other get over their past issues and become friends.

Review: This film is one of my all time favorites. The screenplay was written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and it launched their careers. Robin Williams has his best dramatic performance since Dead Poets Society. The main actors put up great performances and the supporting actors are very good as well.

5/5

RATING: 5

PROS: Great story with good characters.
CONS: Lacked a bit of background that may have made the film even better

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119217/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I am surprised by the low overall rating; I love this movie. Great acting and story.

5/5

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I don't thing any more character background really would have helped the movie much. It was already had some length to it and I think any more would make it feel drawn out. The greatest thing about the movie, for me, was trying to figure out why this insanely smart guy was where he was. The clouded past really left it up to interpretation.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Loved the movie. The screenplay is outstanding and deserved the oscar it received. The roles I like the most that Robin Williams chooses are the ones that don't ask him to be completely over the top, but rather down to earth and subtle, like the One Hour Photo and of course, Good Will Hunting. The acting on everyone's part is top notch.

This is the film that should've won over Titanic at the Academy Awards.

5/5

Zenny
Jul 4, 2003

Hmm. Something's Not Right Here.
This film does a great job intermixing a love story with a real plot. Unlike so many movies today that are just a love story, the movie also sports an interesting storyline that keeps you interested.

5/5

lstorm
Jul 3, 2004

SO DREAMY
I like it.

knork
Dec 27, 2003
I despised this film. Most of the acting was good, but the main story and subplots were rather abominable. Angsty traumatized genius fucks with the system and has girl problems.

Garibaldi
May 22, 2004
Card carrying member of the Extremely Silly Party
I first watched this movie while hanging out with people and thus talked through most of it. I thought it was ok, but then a year later I sat down to watch it and was entranced by it. Matt Damon does an amazing job (my respect for him grew immensely after this movie) as does Minnie Driver despite the hosed up name. Plot was great as was almost all of the acting.
Rating: 5/5

JohnAdams
Dec 8, 2003
An awesome, entertaining, if sometimes sentimental flick. I love it. Damon is immediately likable, and his intelligence is fascinating to watch. It has several drat good monologues too.

5/5

Nilhouse
Jun 24, 2004

King Donko of Punchstania
I agree he is an angsty genius with girl problems, but Robin Williams character bring him back down to earth. I loved the movie, 5 out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Avoided this for a long time because, despite the fact that I like Gus Van Sant, I hate Robin Williams. But I'm glad I watched it. Not quite as hokey as I expected (though it certainly had hokiness). I've seen a few too many scenes where the friendly, laidback, no-bullshit shrink finally gets through to the troubled, guarded youth, but that's okay. Heck, I like those kinda scenes. Rating: 3.5