Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greet_death
Oct 30, 2006
anti-anti
Squier Telecaster Custom

Price Paid $199

Year: 2006

ok, so this is a review of my guitar before i modded it. i basically took off the factory pickguard and electronics and replaced them with a handmade p-g and electronics from a 1960's Ventura E335 copy that broke its neck. i also took off the neck, sanded, shot with nitrocellulose, put on a fender 70's tele decal (my favorite era decal), and now its ready to rock. i would give it a 4.9/5 now (it will be perfect once i get it professionally setup... i never mess with truss rod adjustments.)

Features: 3/5

neck is satin finish... i personally like gloss (that's why i re-finished it). pickups are very generic. a coil tap would have been nice. other than that, its your standard tele deluxe / custom setup with the v-v-t-t knobs and 3-way selector.

Sound: 3/5

pickups are bass-heavy and get muddy with volume and distortion (but its a $200 guitar... what do youe expect?). pickups when cranked do give a great bluesy, low-fi indie sound... but these pickups are sorta a one-trick-pony.

Playability: 2.5/5

guitar didn't come setup, so that goes to show what the fender Made in Indonesia quality control does for ya. action is decent, but nothing to get excited over. the neck is very even playing, and consistency is oftentimes hard to find in a low-end guitar.

Overall Value: 3.5/5

i used this as a starting point for my project, so for that i would give it a 4.5/5 because the wood is solid and good weight / decent grain / etc and the style is classic. also has a string-thru-body bridge which adds sustain. great quality for your money for $200

other than the listed flaws (and i was pretty rough about it), it is a solid guitar.

if you want a really killer guitar, buy this, replace the pickups with any GFS p90 or humbuckers (they are $30-50 each), get it set-up professionally, and you have yourself a tone-machine with looks to spare for only $200 + $50 (x2) + ($40) = roughly under $350.

with those simple mods, this beats the poo poo out of a fender standard strat or tele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU