Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yamaha P-60 digital piano
Price Paid: $750 US
Year:2005
Specs:
88-key keyboard with graded weighted action, 32 note polyphony, 10 voices, dual voice mode, adjustable reverb

Sound:4/5
The internal speakers aren't spectacular, but that's typical for a digital piano like this.

It sounds significantly better with headphones, especially the stereo panning. It's eerie how much it sounds like you are sitting behind an actual piano.

I gave it a 4.5 because the sound is a little odd on very high and very low notes, particularly at the end of a second or two of sustain. It's possible that every digital piano is like this and I just haven't listened to any others through headphones closely enough to tell. This definitely isn't a show-stopper.

I haven't run it through an amplifier so I can't comment on the sound amplified.

Action:5/5
I added a category for this because I was so impressed. I played a few different Roland and Korg keyboards while shopping for this one and it feels as good as, if not better, than it's $1200-$1300 (or more) competitors. The graded action means that the left-hand end of the keyboard feels "heavier" than the right hand end.

Overall:4.9/5
This isn't a synthesizer; if you want to compose your own techno music on it then you are going to be disappointed. What it is is a great alternative for someone who doesn't have room for / can't afford a real piano. It feels as good as or better than its far more expensive competition and the sound is more than adequate for most people. Yamaha hit a home run with these, you certainly aren't going to find anything anything better for less than $1000.

withak fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Polymer D Flute from M&E Flutes
Price Paid / Price New: $425 w/ decorative rings
Year Manufactured: 2005/2006
Specs: Conical bore, machined from polymer rod stock, nickel alloy tuning slide and headjoint lining, decorative metal (the same nickel alloy maybe?) rings

Sound: n/a
This my first "wooden" flute so I'm not going to be able to accurately rate the sound relative to higher-priced flutes. I like it though, and haven't heard any complaints from others who have played Michael Cronnolly's instruments.

Instrument Quality: 4/5
You can tell by the way that the holes and rings are finished that this isn't a $1000 or more wooden flute. That doesn't make much difference though. As long as it works correctly (and it does), the fit & finish isn't the reason you buy one of these. Where it matters (intonation, tuning, seals, and ergonomics) the quality is top of the line. If it's important that your flute be a work of art, then spend 3-4x what this one cost and buy one that is but sounds and plays the same as this one. For its market though, Michael Cronnoly does a great job of making instruments that are within financial reach of those of us who aren't independently wealthy. I payed extra for the metal rings because I think flutes look goofy without them. :)

Playbility: n/a
Again, no rating because I don't think I'm qualified to rate it accurately. I didn't have any trouble playing it, but I have 7-8 years of concert flute under my belt. The biggest problem I had was with the reach required to cover all the holes, and this would be the case for any wooden flute. Once I got the right grip figured out, it only took a few days to get used to the reach. It's based on an old Rudall & Rose design, so the soundholes are (relatively) small and it requires (relatively) little air to fill. Being machined from solid stock, it is easier to play than a cylindrical bore flute (like one make from a piece of pipe that is the same inside and outside diameter along its whole length). It still manages to be astoundingly loud though; it makes the jerk in the apartment above me stomp around loudly every time I play it. Look at the flute forum at chiffboard.mati.ca for reviews from people more qualified than I.

Overall Value: 5/5
For its price, this instrument is an outstanding value. It plays comparably to a "real" wood flute but requires no maintenance (oiling, greasing corks, etc.). It is also nearly indestructable, which is awesome because I can carry it around in my backpack, in and out of the cold or heat every day, and have it around to practice at lunch without having to worry about damaging a >$1000 instrument.

Getting in another plug, Doc Jones at http://www.irishflutestore.com/ has an amazing thing going. He sells new and used wood (and polymer) flutes and whistles from big-name makers, allowing you to bypass waiting lists (weeks or years), trans-atlantic shipping, and flute makers who haven't quite joined the internet age yet, making (as far as I cna tell) absolutely no profit for himself. Mine was in the mail the day after I payed him (exactly the price listed on the manufacturers site for this instrument, incidently). If you are in the market for an instrument like this, definitly check his site out. :)

withak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 12, 2006

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fiction D posted:

Are there any banjo players out there that could recommend a fantastic starter model within the price range of $300?

For open-back banjos, Deering and Gold Tone are the go-to options for great starter instruments, but they usually start at a little over $300. Fender has one that is about $300 but I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other.

For resonator banjos in that price range I think that you are going to find mostly cheap imports, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The main thing that might be wrong with these is inconsistent QC at the factory so they can make good instruments if you are able to pick the best one out of a big pile and then get someone to set it up right.