Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas01
Jan 10, 2005

I'm carrying the wheel.
Reverend Club King 290
Price paid: $575 with shipping
Year: 2006
Specs:
  • 2 P-90 pickups
  • 22 fret maple (rosewood fingerboard) neck, 25.5" scale.
  • Chrome Hardware
  • Semi-hollow basswood body with solid spruce top. Cream binding/inlays.
Sound: 4/5
I can't give this a perfect score because I haven't played a whole lot of very fancy, expensive guitars. However, as far as this price range goes, it sounds fantastic. This is one of the most versatile, "moldable" guitars I've ever played, thanks largely in part to its two tone knobs. It's got a regular tone knob used to trim off higher frequencies, and a second "Bass rolloff" knob which contours the lower fequencies. Between these and the three pickup positions, you can really get practically any sound you want out of this. The bass contour is pretty subtle; when turned all the way up, the sound can get a little boomy, which disappears as you turn it down. The P-90's are more similar to humbuckers than single coils, although ultimately they fall somewhere in between the two in overall sound. Not quite as bassy as humbuckers, not as twangy as single coils. Very cool!

Instrument Quality: 4/5
The guitar feels solid and there are no noticeable blemishes anywhere. The neck looks nice and snug in its pocket, the tuners are strong so far, and the finish is gorgeous. I got the wine red, and it's a nice deep color, but just translucent enough that you can see the woodgrain through it if you look closely. There are a few little knots in the spruce, but for the most part it looks pristine. The pots feel a little bit jiggly and loose, which I'm not too excited about. The string trees look pretty high tech: they're like little wheels and the strings pass along their underside. Oh, also the strap buttons seem a little small.

Playbility:4/5
I was a slightly disappointed when I first got it in the mail. It felt too stiff and hard for my liking. But over time it's grown on me. Maybe my fingers have just gotten a little stronger. The neck is getting worn in pretty well--at first the finish on the neck was uninspiring, but the more I play it, the more buttery it gets. Slightly chunky feeling, but that's just my personal taste speaking. Everyone else who plays it loves it. While it may not be my dream guitar in terms of playability, I still like it a lot, don't get me wrong.

Overall Value: 4/5
Well, everything else scored a 4, so I don't feel justified in giving this a 5. I think this guitar is awesome, and I'm proud to own it. It's stylish, versatile, and reliable. I definitely recommend it, and judging by this, anything else in the Stage King line (Korean-made) would be a worthy purchase as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU