Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug
Title of Instrument Example: Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus

Price Paid / Price New: $291 / $699
Year Manufactured: 2005
Specs:
     •2 Epiphone Alnico Classic humbuckers (Alnico II)
     •Gold-plated hardware
     •Scale: 24.75", Nut Width: 1.68" (typical LP)
     •Set neck, made of maple
     •Mahogany/alder body
     •Rosewood fretboard with rectangular pearl inlays
     •Single binding on body, neck, and headstock
     •Flame maple top with sweet, sweet cherry sunburst finish
     •Three-way toggle switch for the humbuckers

Sound: 4/5 I saw mixed reviews about every type of Epi LP out there, but whether the owners loved or hated their guitar, probably 80% said they switched the humbuckers out for better ones, and another 15% said they were planning on doing so. I may too, eventually, but these sounded surprisingly nice considering my expectations. You will definitely want to replace the neck pickup with an Alnico V or ceramic magnet if you plan on using heavy distortion, as it gets muddy under really heavy distortion. The bridge pickup's not muddy at all, and the neck sounds great clean.

Instrument Quality: 4/5 It's got a set neck and binding all around, and its solid body has a nice amount of weight to it. I'll be sure to update this note if it falls apart in a week or something, but I have a feeling this will last. I'm very very happy, since I found it NEW on eBay for $291 from some dude in China. I figured it was a scam, since there are a ton of eBay guitar scams ("Gibson Les Paul, $100! Cheaper if you buy 20 at a time!"), but after sending Gibson the serial number and doing some additional research, I felt confident enough to buy it. After getting it, I don't regret my purchase at all. The ONE problem I have with the quality is the 3-way pickup switch. It's kind of wobbly, and the rubber tip comes off pretty easily. I will likely be opening this guitar up to replace that switch long before I worry about pickups or anything else.

Playbility: 5/5 The action came a little too low, but that's easy enough to fix. No rough spots on the neck/fretboard, and the stock strings are pretty smooth.

Overall Value: 6/5 Pretend that's 5/5 if you must, but $291 for a brand new $700 Les Paul is loving 6/5 in my book. The only better value could have been an Agile 3000 ($370 with triple binding on the body and neck, single binding on the headstock), but I found the rondomusic thread after I already paid for this guitar.

Edit: Just over a year later, and I still love this guitar. Replaced the strings with D'Addarios, and I'm actually not too happy with those, but the guitar is still awesome.

Supervillin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU