Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cpach
Feb 28, 2005
Yamaha BB404F
Price Paid / Price New: 250/discontinued
Year Manufactured: 2004
Specs:
Nathan East style body
3-piece alder body, yellow natural stain
fretless, 4 string
1-piece maple neck, bolt on, w/ truss rod, rosewood fingerboard w/ 24 maple fretlines
2 jazz-sized single coil ceramic pickups (look like some sort of bar magnet design)
passive electronics, 2 volume, 1 tone
yamaha branded die-cast tuners

Sound: 5/5 Sounds frickin' awesome. Good acoustic tone. Not exactly a classic fretless jazz sound, but similar (and not worse, I don't think). Very good, with overall sweet tone. Variations in balance between neck and bridge pickups very useful. I play with D'addario chromes flatwounds, and it has a deep, sweet, round, mwah. There are probably better sounding fretless basses out there, but not for the price. I like it a lot better then the Fender Fretless Jazz Standard. With a pickup upgrade, I don't see why this couldn't sound even more fantastic, but I'm already completely satisfied.

Instrument Quality: 5/5 Fantastic, especially considering the price. Came flawless, with good finish (light, see-through stain), very tight neck/body pocket, and set up with low action without buzz. Holds tuning well. Really, nothing to complain about, and I have had no reliability issues with it so far. It is very pretty, although you can certainly see where the body is jointed together. I don't care, I think it adds some character if anything.

Playbility: 5/5 Very good! The body style is one of my favorites; it just fits. Less bulky than, say, a jazz bass, with fantastic upper access. Reasonable weight, although I haven't weighed it. Neck very comfortable, unlike my wimpy-thin Ibanez SRX400, and perhaps a little thicker than a standard jazz neck, with a fairly flat radius. String spacing is comfortable.

Overall Value: 5/5 Outstanding value. For $250 I have a bass that I am absolutely happy with. I would probably pay up to $600 if mine was broken/stolen. It is made out of standard materials (solid alder, maple, rosewood), with a good finish, quality hardware, good sounding electronics, plays well, has a body shape I like, etc etc. I have no reservations recommending it, or, by extendtion, the fretted model.

This is one of my absolute favorite instruments. Unfortunately, it's out of production. I actually ordered one of the last dozen availible from Yamaha in the US through my shop when they sold the one I was thinking of getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU