Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puke Rock
Jul 23, 2005

drive my car into the ocean

Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine
Price Paid / Price New: $150/$250?
Year Manufactured: 1990
Specs Equipment's Specifications: 9V AC adapter, 16-bit stereo samples, 50 preset drumsets such as Rap, Funk, Rock, and Latin, twelve drums with each kit, MIDI-in/out, four mono outputs, two footswitch outputs (one to start/stop and one to switch to beat A/B or drum fill).

Sound: 5/5. Equalize this just right on an amp and it comes through beautiful and clear. Even on my little Roland Cube amp it sounds fantastic. The 16-bit samples are excellent.

Equipment Quality: 4/5. This is the first drum machine I've ever worked with and it's amazingly easy to make your own beats or replicate another song's. The one song I had my heart set on when I got this was Radiohead's Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box. I set the quantization to eighth notes, then lazily pounded in the bass and snare parts. I was afraid it would sound incorrect, but the SR-16 corrects your slightly-off-time beats and conforms them to the quantization you've selected. So afterwards I listened to it and it was a perfect beat. Then I just added the B variation of the song and before I knew it I was performing the song in real time with my voice. Still haven't figured out how to do fills yet but I've been a bit busy and I'm sure it's relatively easy. Although there are still a few quirks in this machine. It can forget the drum set you wanted to use after switching to another pattern or listening to a preset pattern. It's a bother to reset that when you need to play now. Also, tempo is very difficult to change since it is on a wide range and you have to hold down the "Page Up" button to get it to scroll to what you want. The scrubber would've been better in this situation but unfortunately it's being used as the volume control. Still, you cannot predict some people's sporadic tempos.

Usefullness: 5/5. It's got all the right outputs for playing a live show or recording in the studio. Amazingly versatile and great for if you want to get into electronic music or even if you're just interested.

Overall Value: 5/5. I wish I could've gotten into drum machines sooner. It's really fun making patterns with multiple drum sets and I can't wait to play live with this.

Puke Rock fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 18, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU