Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Jackson KE3 Kelly
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?partno=KE3_Kelly
Price Paid / Price New: $AUS 1275 new
Year Manufactured: Unknown, presumably 2004/2005 model. Japanese made.
Specs: Instrument's Specifications - Pickups, Neck, etc. Use a list if possible.

quote:

BODY Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
NECK Bolt-On Rock Maple
TUNING MACHINES Die-Cast Tuners
FINGERBOARD Rosewood
NO. OF FRETS 24 Jumbo Frets
BRIDGE PICKUP Duncan Designed® Detonator™ Humbucking Pickup
NECK PICKUP Duncan Designed® Detonator™ Humbucking Pickup
CONTROLS Master Volume
BRIDGE JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
HARDWARE Chrome
SCALE LENGTH 25.5”
WIDTH AT NUT 1-11/16”
UNIQUE FEATURES Compound (12” to 14”) Fingerboard Radius,
MOTO Shark Fin Position Inlays

Sound: 4.5/5
Unfortunately (but not unsurprisingly) the pickups are duncan designed, instead of official Seymour Duncans. However they're pretty drat good all the same, paired with a metalzone they give a great crunchy metal tone. They're also pretty nice clean, the sound is warmer than, say, EMG actives.

Instrument Quality: 4/5
No visible flaws anywhere, and the factory setup was fine. Some of the paint on the bridge pickup has scraped off however.

Playability: 4.5/5
The neck is great to play on, it's easy to zoom around, and doesn't have motherly high frets to trip you up. The action's a little high but that's probably due to my abortive attempts at fiddling with the bridge.

Overall Value: Example 4.5/5
For the price I paid this axe was a steal. It's got room for expansion, I'm planning to put in a floyd rose and some different pickups, so it should last me for a while.

Two things though:

1. The bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose, and so isn't of the greatest quality. Sometimes the fine-tuning screws will get stuck in a particular position, which gets fiddly when tuning. This is no biggie however. It was also a serious bitch to set up, I'd recommend getting a shop to do it for you if you're not some sort of luthier wunderkind.

2. Because of the awesome body shape, the guitar is neck-heavy. Your fretting hand will pretty much be pulling double duty supporting the guitar as well, and this will take a bit of getting used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Beatladdius posted:

I'd like to see some Goon reviews of a noise suppressor/noise gate

ISP Decimator
Price Paid / Price New: AUD $180 / $300
Year Manufactured: No idea, pretty recent though
Specs

- Input Impedance: 500K ohms - Maximum Input Level: +12dbu - Effective Noise Reduction: greater than 60db - Dynamic Range: greater than 100db - Total Harmonic Distortion: .05% typical - Power consumption: 35mA @9VDC - Release response: Program dependant based on Time Vector Processing

Sound (or applicable): I run a ridiculously noisy setup, EMGs into an ENGL Fireball. With the volume at about 1/3 or 1/2 the bastard will pick up the radio, and feedbacks like a mofo any time I'm not playing and I take my fingers off the strings. The decimator kills all of this. I was worried about it sapping tone, but since I'm more of a metal rhythm player than a lead guy it's not much of a problem. I'd imagine it would annoy you if you liked long ringing leads, but from what I've read, the Decimator cuts much less than other pedals (the Boss and Rocktron Hush are the major competitors I believe).

Equipment Quality: 5/5 Similar casing to a Boss pedal, ie. solid as gently caress. Comes in blingin' chrome which picks up fingerprints like nothing else.

Usefullness: Hard to talk about usefullness because it's pretty much a mandatory item if you play high-gain stuff at any volume, but I'm definitely glad I have it. I wouldn't remove it except to upgrade to a rackmount unit. They also do another pedal which allows you to run your FX loop through it as well.

Overall Value: Good price for the thing, considering what they go for in stores over here (I got mine off ebay). I would recommend it, although I haven't tried any other noise suppressors. This one seems to be what everyone recommends.