Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Directed by: John Carpenter
Starring: Ice Cube, Natasha Henstridge, Pam Grier, Jason Statham

I watched this movie with the anticipation that it would be good seeing how it was a John Carpenter film. I'm really not sure how he made such an awful movie and how it was even released the way it was.

The movie is basically about a team thats assembled to try and find out what happens to a abandoned mining complex (or something like that, drat I don't even remember what industry it was) on Mars. What they soon find out is that the "ghosts" have basically turned the other humans into zombies, and that Cube and his team better get the gently caress out of there fast because theres noone to save. Blah blah like every rescue type of thing, their transportation is sabotaged, theres more zombies than they can deal with, etc, etc.

The movie itself could have been incredibly good if they added the shock and scare factor like Even Horizon did. However what turned out was a pretty dull, not too thrilling movie with some pretty poor acting. I don't think any of the action scenes even impressed me all that much.

RATING: 1.5

PROS: The first 30 minutes were kinda creepy....
CONS: More of a joke than a horror movie after a while, its not really scary in the least bit, poor performances

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228333/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weasel sack
Sep 11, 2001

NIANOCRAD eternally spins and has hundreds of light tunnels that shoot out from the pits of a unique and self-contained HELL
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Great, stupid fun, and a nice take on the Zombie genre.

3.5/5

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
I really wanted to like it. I read a ton of bad reviews, and a bunch that said it was a great no brains action movie.

It ended up just being awful. It wasn't fun, or exciting, or scary, it was just flat. And John Carpenter has done some awesome scores but for this he just got some lame metal bands to track some lovely "chugga chugga"'s and "reet reet"'s basically. Lame.

1.5/5

macka_x
Feb 3, 2004
Litany of Curses
I enjoyed it myself, tongue in cheek zombie fightin fun, it is what it is and at least there was no pretention about it being something more. At least none that i took away

4/5

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

One of my favorite guilty pleasures. Action + hardcore gore + humor = stupid fun.

3/5

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

It's funny how often films about Mars totally suck. I thought this one was quite enjoyable. First time in ages I'd seen a screen wipe used in a feature film. Obviously the plot, characters and acting are distinctly average but it does have a certain something. I wouldn't buy it, but I'm happy to watch it if it comes on. It's the kind of film that, were someone to approach you half way through watching it and ask if you wanted to go for a drink, you'd cheerfully accept, but in the absence of any better offers it's a reasonable way to pass the time.

Voted 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hikikomori
Oct 4, 2002

オレ、がんばれ
Honestly one of the very worst movies I've had the 'pleasure' of watching on the big screen. Usually these travesties don't make it to Australian theatres, rather they appear as straight-to-video.

Synopsis: A squad of B-Grade actors waltz onto Mars and encounter a legion of KISS fans with a penchant for jagged weapons (outdoor use - limbs and random body parts flying) and WWE-style moves (indoor - no blood, lots of roaring, pushing and shoving).

One of the more lol-tastic parts of the movie When the infected Henstridge is saved by the powers of drugs (taken from her secret stash). This is portrayed by the emerging 'red' bloodlusting fever, in essence the 'Ghost of Mars' being countered simply by the soothing 'blue' crashing waves/tide effect of the drug. Drugs are good mmmkay? But wait there's more. She can actually climb into her allies' bunker from the back door while the hordes of baddies outside the front door futilely attempt to get in.

Avoid any movies with a "John Carpenter's" prefix. John Carpenter's Vampires, Ghost of Mars, you get the idea. He ran out of ideas long ago. Simply horrible :cry:

If you're after brainless zombie fun, there are many better titles than this. Watch this for the unintentional comedy.

Score: 0.5/5.0