Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovaHunter
Mar 13, 2004

Jack Bauer is my hero.
Directed by: Kirk Wong
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Lou Diamond Phillips, Christina Applegate

The Big Hit is about a group of contract killers and treachery. The movie opens with an excellent action scene set inside of an apartment complex, and proceeds from there to set up the actual story of the film.

The group, consisting of Melvin, Cisco, Crunch, and Vince, played by Mark Wahlberg, Lou diamond Philips, Bokeem Woodbine, and Antonio Sabato Jr, respectively, hatch a plan to kidnap the daughter of a rich businessman, Jiro Nishi, without telling their boss.

I won't give away the rest of the story, as it would be filled with spoilers, but the movie goes on with some plot twists, backstabbing, and plenty more great action scenes. Did I mention that the film is also a pretty good comedy? It's actually classified as an Action Comedy, and it comes off perfectly. You'll be chuckling the whole way through; well, every part that doesn't involve guns or stuff blowing up, that is.

Fun movie, great action, good story, and a good cast pull together one of my personal favorite movies.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Good story, excellent action scenes, good acting
CONS: Slows down a bit in the middle

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120609/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamison4
Mar 19, 2004

Coe Kohawk Goon
I bought this movie for dirt cheap ($5.99) and it was a lot better then I was expecting it would be for how cheap it was.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I laughed at such things as the "Tracebuster Buster Buster!" Certainly good for a matinee movie, and if it only cost six bucks for the DVD, it's a great buy.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is a good movie that could have been much better. Mark Wahlberg is Melvin, a professional killer who just wants everybody to like him. Unfortunately, this kind of makes him everybody's tool. He takes up one of his fellow assassins on a job that is not sanctioned by their boss. This leads to many an unfortunate shenanigan for pretty much everybody involved.

The action is good and the acting is decent. The characters are interesting and definitely don't fit the stone cold killer stereotype. The script is pretty clever (When Marky Mark talks about how everybody's got to like him one of his co-killers tells him "Pal, the hundred or so people you've murdered over the past five years probably have relatives that don't think too highly of you.") but it has a few issues. There is an out-of-nowhere love story that feels out of place. The only other real bump in the road are the sets. Due to the production values most locations in the movie feel fake.

Overall, I liked it. With one more rewrite and a few more million dollars this could have been a great movie. 3.5 stars. Watch for Avery Brooks playing his usual badass self.

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

The last time I saw this I was amazed at the true marvel that is the Hollywood marketing machine: The commercials touted it as a team of skilled hitmen betrayed by someone and forced to take on their former boss. In reality, only one of the hitmen (Wahlberg) fights his way around town and does any real work throughout the movie, while everyone else is either relegated to third-rate characters or is in fact, the primary antagonist (Phillips). Suffice to say, I was disappointed with the movie, though there were several excellent moments (the dinner table scene with the in-Laws and co-workers).

3/5

BlakeM
Apr 1, 2003

Grifter posted:

This is a good movie that could have been much better. Mark Wahlberg is Melvin, a professional killer who just wants everybody to like him. Unfortunately, this kind of makes him everybody's tool. He takes up one of his fellow assassins on a job that is not sanctioned by their boss. This leads to many an unfortunate shenanigan for pretty much everybody involved.

The action is good and the acting is decent. The characters are interesting and definitely don't fit the stone cold killer stereotype. The script is pretty clever (When Marky Mark talks about how everybody's got to like him one of his co-killers tells him "Pal, the hundred or so people you've murdered over the past five years probably have relatives that don't think too highly of you.") but it has a few issues. There is an out-of-nowhere love story that feels out of place. The only other real bump in the road are the sets. Due to the production values most locations in the movie feel fake.

Overall, I liked it. With one more rewrite and a few more million dollars this could have been a great movie. 3.5 stars. Watch for Avery Brooks playing his usual badass self.
It's not supposed to be realistic at all, and that's why it's funny. If you're evaluating this movie as a true action movie, you've missed the point. This movie is definitely worth the watch, and a few parts still have me laughing.

"My kill, my bonus!"

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?

BlakeM posted:

If you're evaluating this movie as a true action movie, you've missed the point.

4.5/5

Can't agree more.

This movie is a great Action-Comedy, which becomes a kind of self-parody of the exact genre that it is itself. I love the horrible romance that is so out of left field, it almost HAS to be a commentary on Action movies and their odd Romance Subplots.

4/5