Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsforza
Jul 2, 2004

Bitter, on-the-run cop seeks femme fatale hitwoman for fiery, bullet-riddled romance. Must enjoy long walks through construction sites, high-caliber h
Directed by: Neal Slavin
Starring: William H. Macy, Laura Dern, Meat Loaf,

I saw this movie once as a rental and it quickly became a member of my fledgling DVD collection.

The story follows Lawrence Neman, played brilliantly and perfectly by William H. Macy as your typical 1940's businessman. New Jewish neighbors lead to a rise of anti-Semitism in his community and when he waffles on taking part in it he gets lumped with "them".

I think the movie really hits the nail on the head about how true tolerance is attained. Lawrence isn't a man who seems to have the morals and beliefs of a modern liberal, he's very much a product of his current time and location. It is only when he bevomes a target of hatred and prejudice that he realizes how wrong it is and takes up for his neighbor Mr. Finkelstein. It may seem as if he's only concerned for himself, but in reality I think we all are and this makes the movie that much more realistic.

The dialogue is some of the best, while short, I've seen in a movie. Particularly when Lawrence confronts his neighbors about what's going on, when he gets truly mad and we see William H. Macy truly shine.

One of the things I liked is that it shows us a period in American history that belonged to "The Greatest Generation" yet we find anti-Semitism that, if not as systemic and deadly as in Germany, is still a violent and disturbing force. This is a movie with one of the most powerful and important messages you will see.

RATING: 5

PROS: drat fine acting, sheds light on obscure American history, excellent dialogue
CONS: Dern and Macy's romance seems just a bit too central to the story

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246628/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelasiemanym
Jun 27, 2004

Imbeciles... all of them!
I really enjoyed this movie for the way in which it presented prejudice; and think that for every time high school students sit through Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan in history class, they should sit through one like this twice.

William H. Macy was great as always.. although i'm starting to wonder.. Are there any movies out there where he does a good job of playing a character that isn't some neurotic and overcautious guy?

Fargo, MAYBE.. but he still played a loser in that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It didn't leave much of an impression. I don't think it made its point very well, but at least it was a unique way of doing it. It's too bad because it's a good point to make, but in my opinion didn't quite feel genuine. Rating: 3