Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stremph
May 22, 2001
Forum Veteran
This is a really tough movie to score.

Let me start by saying that I hate Gwyneth Paltrow. I hope she dies so that she'll never again ruin movies that I would otherwise enjoy. I hate her because her entire screen presence says "I'm an ACTRESS! Look at me acting!" She's like a spoiled brat who gets to be in movies because her parents are rich and famous, and I'm sick and loving tired of seeing her robotic, phony facial expressions. It's constantly obvious that she's acting, you're never able to see the character, you just see her dumb face. I wish that at least I thought she was hot so that I could appreciate that, but she looks just like my sister, so that's impossible. Thankfully my sister isn't a moron like Gwyneth.

She didn't ruin the movie on her own, however. She had a lot of help from her character's (Polly's) dialog. Jesus Christ. Like the loving scene in the movie theator, when she couldn't figure out what was going on so she just kept firing stupid questions at that poor scientist. She acts like that for the whole movie. I laughed (embarrassingly) loudly when she got punched in the face, and swore in disgust (inappropriately) when she woke up in bed instead of dying from that explosion.

It's such a tough movie to score because Gwyneth is in every scene, but everything else about it is top-notch. Everything. It's loving irritating that people either don't "get" the style of the movie, or that they did like it and they feel that they have to apologize for it and preemptively defend it. Like "Oh, it's just campy 30's futuristic sci-fi. Neat Idea, but not for everyone." Well gently caress that, it's a loving tremendously original idea and it was executed perfectly.

I don't need to list all the great things, just see the movie and take it all in. Especially Angela Jolie's character and the scenes involving her.

I had one last problem with the movie, and that was the ending. I think it would have been so much cooler if Sky Captain took off in the rocket to have all new adventures on distant planets; the sequels would be equally original and entertaining. The ending they went with sets up the sequels to be the same old poo poo as the first movie, but it'll probably be cool anyway.

I'm gonna have to go with a '4.0: Very Good' overall score. Just please realize how hard it is to do that for me, I really want to give it a 0.5 because of the amount of Gwyneth bullshit I had to put up with.

4.0/5.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU