Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

quote:

Blue Reptile came out of the closet to say:
PAK CHOOIE UNF!?!?!
wow... just, wow.

anyway, there's this website, https://www.somethingawful.com it has the answers you need on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkevins82
Jan 15, 2002

But the best scheme of government can do little more than provide against injustice, and then let the individual rise or fal

quote:

FaRiD came out of the closet to say:
Newbies don't deserve to know anything. That's why they're newbies, and not knowbies!
It must be nice to have everything in its proper place and know that you are better than everyone else.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?

quote:

Fistgrrl came out of the closet to say:
Just a kooky day on the forums like when we had a forum called "Tasty's House of Warez and poo poo" for about 15 minutes. Or when Admin5 took over and every thread was about Admin5.
These sort of random occurances which cause everyone to take notice are exactly what I love about these crazy, crazy forums.

Thanks all, this thread is trimming my newbie fat.

<deleted user>

quote:

One morning we woke up to Lowtax telling us all we're going to jail. Underneath everyone's username it said "Am I go to jail? Answer: YES" When you posted, the image also said, "You're going to jail." Just a kooky day on the forums like when we had a forum called "Tasty's House of Warez and poo poo" for about 15 minutes. Or when Admin5 took over and every thread was about Admin5.

There was also a flash movie with this policeman pig walking around and he'd say "You're going to Jaaaaaaaaiiiil" and shoot people in the face. It was hilarious
the flash movie made its appearance for about 20 seconds the whole forums redirected to this movie. then went back to normal mysteriously

If anyone still has the link to it, post it!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

quote:

necrofiche came out of the closet to say:

2. Where did Fiwer=Tidus come from?

Fiwer was the troll among trolls in the Games forum, even going so far as to call MGS2 "Daitatana with more green" or something (which, might I add, is troll brilliance at its best). Anyway, he went on a "FFX IS THE GAY" campaign and flooded threads with the homoerotic image of Tidus. Then, I believe, someone posted a thread called "The perfect name for Tidus," which was, obviously, Fiwer.

Edit: BEATEN TO THE PUNCH!

<deleted user>
a note on the Charles Johnson video:

there are, in fact, two versions. the original version has no editing except for the pause button (or so it seems to me), and the second version (whoknows.avi) was HEAVILY edited. i find the second version to be funnier because of Vegetables' Monty Python-style moving mouth at the end.

Blue Reptile
Oct 29, 2000

by Fistgrrl

quote:

Smackbilly came out of the closet to say:

Read and be enlightened, young padawan:

http://www.somethingawful.com/spam/icq/spacerobot/index.htm

Ah! Thank you! I had an individual reply PAK CHOOIE UNF in Japanese characters in one of my Japanese writing threads.

This answers my question (as opposed to the other OMG U DUNNO WHAT THIS MEENS? KIKIKIKI" responses.
Wait...the thread was named "The official how did THAT get started on SA? thread.

"Wow, just wow" and other non-directive responses don't seem to qualify, FYAG seems like the better way!

Thanks Smackbilly!!! :-)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Blue Reptile fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 19, 2002

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

quote:

Eureka came out of the closet to say:

If anyone still has the link to it, post it!

Go back a few pages.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

quote:

necrofiche came out of the closet to say:
2. Where did Fiwer=Tidus come from?

Fiwer hates every Final Fantasy game after 6. Whenever somebody make a thread about Final Fantasy X, Fiwer would reply with This picture on Tidus. Because of Fiwer's obsession with Tidus, somebody decided to rename Tidus as Fiwer in the game.

<deleted user>
I've got a little bit of trivia since I can't really think of any questions.

1. What was TastyArmageddon's very first forum account name? Also, name the band that was in this account's overly huge signature.

2. The original Pirates vs. Cowboys thread that spawned the infamous BBandB photoshopped head was between britishbornandbread and who?

3. Who hacked into Sex Kitten's hotmail account to try and prove she's really a guy?

Tell me I'm not the only old schooler that remembers these things!!

<deleted user>

quote:

Go back a few pages.

Sorry im stupid

http://www.monkeysandrobots.com/hippo2.swf

You're going to Jaiiiiiilllllllll!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

quote:

2. It was from the Games forum. I guess you could change Tidus' name and someone thought it would be funny to name his effeminate Tidus "Fiwer."

True, but not quite. For the month or so before Final Fantasy X came out, every thread anyone started on it would be graced by this picture courtesy of Fiwer. I found it hilarious but it really seemed to get a lot of peoples' panties in a bunch.

<deleted user>

quote:

Sep came out of the closet to say:

1. What was TastyArmageddon's very first forum account name? Also, name the band that was in this account's overly huge signature.

3. Who hacked into Sex Kitten's hotmail account to try and prove she's really a guy?
!!

1. Urban Sombrero?

2. Capn Yoaz?

:confused:

Deathlord
Sep 21, 2000
Forum Veteran

quote:

I've got a little bit of trivia since I can't really think of any questions.

2. The original Pirates vs. Cowboys thread that spawned the infamous BBandB photoshopped head was between britishbornandbread and who?

Tell me I'm not the only old schooler that remembers these things!!

1. IWILLKILLYOUALL, or something similar, featuring slipknot in the sig.
2.LouZiffer? I'm not sure.
3.Capn Yoaz

Twon
Jan 30, 2002

Knight of Mars Beater of Ass
Just one more: SOJ? SOFJ? Huh?

- Twon

This thread is gayer than two men loving.
-- NotShadowStar

Bobby
Jan 1, 2001
I love Cap'n Yoaz.

Also, SOJ = Stone of Jordan, from Diablo II. It's generally used when mocking Korean battle.net players of this game who tend to say "KEKEKEKEKKEE U GIEV SOJ ??%?? =^_^=" a lot.

----------------

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

quote:

Wait... Sex Kitten was a guy? I thought that was AcidRain.

[img-themoreyouknow]

<deleted user>

quote:

Twon came out of the closet to say:
Just one more: SOJ? SOFJ? Huh?

- Twon

Diablo 2. crazy Korean kids play it now and have a very limited grasp of Engrish. apparently this is how thay trade...

"U GIEV SOJ?" (will you give me the stone of Jordan?"
"U GIEV AMU" (i want the Amulet first.)

see also: KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE, ^_________________________^

<deleted user>

quote:

Deathlord came out of the closet to say:

1. IWILLKILLYOUALL, or something similar, featuring slipknot in the sig.
2.LouZiffer? I'm not sure.
3.Capn Yoaz

You win it all!

ricequeen
Nov 10, 2000

quote:

I only know this one. Cap'n Yoaz. I think it marked the beginning of his descent into madness.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

quote:

Smackbilly came out of the closet to say:

Wait... Sex Kitten was a guy? I thought that was AcidRain.

[img-themoreyouknow]

AcidRain is female but NOT the female in those sexy pics. You're thinking Discoqueen.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

Bobby came out of the closet to say:
Admin5 is the default administrator account login for UBB, IIRC. These forums once were run using UBB.

What does IIRC stand for?

<deleted user>

quote:

Mr. Apollo came out of the closet to say:

What does IIRC stand for?

if yeeeeeeye recall corectlyle

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
If I Remember Correctly

TheSoviet
Dec 13, 2001

quote:

Proteus4994 came out of the closet to say:

I'm going to assume this is sarcastic and live the rest of my life in blissful ignorance.

YOU ARE CORRECT! I saw it about a year ago on Stile.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
drat, I am kicking myself for not getting a forum account years ago, there's just too much comedy goodness here to be missed.

The sad thing is, I have been reading the site almost daily for years. I saw the introduction of Jeff K. and Cliff Yablonski. I rememeber reading the Space Robot Bonanza the day it was posted and anxiously awaiting the next chapter of Jeff K's SURVIVORE comics. I even bought one of the original SA t-shirts.

And yet somehow I missed the forums. WOULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME? WTF?!?!1

A red haze taints the air. No amount of blood can slake my thirst. Unquenchable. Unsatiable. Unstopable. Taste my fury.
-XSethirophX
Lvl 70 NE Rouge
Lvl 60 NE Warrior
Lvl 32 NE Rouge
Lvl 24 NE HUnter
Lvl 15 NE Warrior
Lvl 2 Human Priest (<-my GIRLFRIEND)

<deleted user>

quote:

I love Cap'n Yoaz.

I met him at a LAN party last year, along with LouZiffer.. He's a very nice guy, although he had to leave in short notice (his wife's car died or something) and left before the (small) NC goon meet.

Oh, LouZiffer is a real pirate.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

quote:

The Yellow Yell came out of the closet to say:
I once went on one of my forum breaks, and when I came back, everything was Navigable! I never ever ever got a straight explanation of that. Something to do with the mousewheel? And threads and posts? So confused.
It started off as someone posting how they liked to play a game that they made up when they were bored. What you do is, starting at the top of a thread, place your mouse pointer anywhere on the screen. Then, without moving the pointer from that spot, scroll once with your mousewheel. If the very tip pixels of the pointer land on any of the thin grey lines that seperate each post, you have to go back to the top of the screen, put the pointer somewhere else, and start again. Once you manage to scroll all the way down the thread without hitting any lines, you post "Navigable!" It was basically another way of Short Bussing/Banana Girling a thread.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

quote:

Theli came out of the closet to say:
The sad thing is, I have been reading the site almost daily for years. I saw the introduction of Jeff K. and Cliff Yablonski. I rememeber reading the Space Robot Bonanza the day it was posted and anxiously awaiting the next chapter of Jeff K's SURVIVORE comics. I even bought one of the original SA t-shirts.

Ditto, but in my case, I liked SA but was neutral about the forums (because, back then, there was far more trolling and general stupidity.) I finally gave in and started lurking when Lum's went down, the replacements weren't up to par, and I needed another place to read for a while, registering in just about the last possible moment before they went pay. Whew :)

----------------

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

quote:

SOJ = Stone of Jordan, from Diablo II. It's generally used when mocking Korean battle.net players of this game who tend to say "KEKEKEKEKKEE U GIEV SOJ ??%?? =^_^=" a lot.
Additional history:

Back in classic (pre-expansion) Diablo 2, the Stone of Jordan was one of the hardest items to get in the game. There were two other unique rings, and due to "spwaning order" you or someone else had to have the other two rings before you could even have a chance to find the Stone. It was (and to an extent still is) useful, imparting +1 skills and +25% mana. For a while, very few people had a SoJ. Once Jarulf (yes, that Jarulf) posted information publicly about the easy way to get one, players would spend massive amounts of gold gambling SoJs (you could gamble uniques with some consistency back in the day) and muling them off as they got them.

Then came the duplication exploits, since l33t kids seem to have a penchant for trying to ruin all of Blizzard's online games. The Stone of Jordan became the most duplicated item, because of its size (1x1) and perceived worth. The mass duplication became so bad that people started using the Stones as currency rather than the barter system the designers had intended on.

When the Expansion came out, two important changes were made: the Stone of Jordan's chance to appear became a percentage chance (very low) and you could not gamble uniques at first; Blizzard changed this, but the chance is like 1/10000 IIRC. Also they assigned unique item ID codess as a way of combatting dupes, and adding Cube recipes using SoJs to try to get people to use up the existing pool. Unfortunately there were already too many dupes floating around that will never go away (since when they were brought into the expansion they gained their own unique item codes), hence maintaining their status as currency.

Taemelion: We haven't resolved this sig matter yet. Am I hitting you with a baseball bat when you get here or what?

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

quote:

Theli came out of the closet to say:
drat, I am kicking myself for not getting a forum account years ago, there's just too much comedy goodness here to be missed.

Same thing with me. I've been reading forever, when someone posted a link to a Jeff K. interview, I was hooked. Then I started reading the front page of Something Awful, and said, hey, this is pretty funny. I remember going into the forums once, like right around the time they started, and the only threads were about something awful, like I remember a "Is Jeff K real or not" thread and people had custom titles like "I might be lowtax"

Edit: This thread is awesome!

----------------

Liface fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 19, 2002

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
I think I discovered the site through a link to a Daikitana "review" only to discover something horribly, horrible awful.

I think I checked out the forums a few times waaay back when and thought they were (NOT GAY) so I didn't bother with them for a long time. The next time I tried to visit I found out that you had to pay to access them, so with a resounding "gently caress that!" I hit the back button. It wasn't until the Phriday Phorum Photoshop poo poo started that I realized what I was missing.

A red haze taints the air. No amount of blood can slake my thirst. Unquenchable. Unsatiable. Unstopable. Taste my fury.
-XSethirophX
Lvl 70 NE Rouge
Lvl 60 NE Warrior
Lvl 32 NE Rouge
Lvl 24 NE HUnter
Lvl 15 NE Warrior
Lvl 2 Human Priest (<-my GIRLFRIEND)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

This doesn't exactly go along with the topic, but this is as close to a "ask newbie questions without getting beaten to death" thread as I'm ever going to get.

How does one pronounce Kyanka? Of what ethnic origin is that?

<deleted user>

quote:

Erebus came out of the closet to say:
This doesn't exactly go along with the topic, but this is as close to a "ask newbie questions without getting beaten to death" thread as I'm ever going to get.

How does one pronounce Kyanka? Of what ethnic origin is that?

"key-on-kuh", IIRC. slavic, maybe norwegian.

<deleted user>

quote:

Stain came out of the closet to say:
see also: KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE, ^_________________________^
what is this?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

quote:

g4sm4sk came out of the closet to say:

what is this?
The way that wacky Koreans (allegedly) laugh in Diablo II. Compare LOL or hahahahahahaha.

b33fyr33t
Nov 30, 2000

I'm different.
bork bork bork. Ignore this - test.

[edit: no I'm not asking where ignore - test came from. I'm correcting a retarded post]

<deleted user>

quote:

g4sm4sk came out of the closet to say:

what is this?

apparently Koreans cannot pronouce "hehehehehe" like Americans/UKers/Engrish speakers can, so they substitute "k" for "h", resulting in kekekekekekeke.

also, the ^_____________________^ is a Korean bastardization of the ^_^ emoticon, which originated with the arch-eyed happy face found so commonly in japanese animation.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
where did Pot. Kettle. Black or something of that nature come from??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

<deleted user>

quote:

SpeedyCow came out of the closet to say:
where did Pot. Kettle. Black or something of that nature come from??

From the old term that is like (not accurate) "If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black" or someshit. Meaning you talk poo poo when you're no better...I think