Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaRap
Aug 16, 2004
Directed by: Dwight Little
Starring: KaDee Strickland, Johnny Messner, Morris Chestnut, Matthew Marsden

A film like this does not deserve a full review in the traditional sense. Instead, it deserves something akin to a series of bullet points. As such, I give you the following.

Best element: The lone reference to the events of the original film is pretty amusingly odd and vague.

Funniest element: The pet monkey that travels along on the expedition gets more reaction shots than any of the human actors. We have to cut to the monkey to see his feelings on the snakes, the jokes, the lame-rear end dialogue and more. There's even an extended "Snake vs. Monkey" segment that's laughable in the extreme.

Most surprising element: The fact that CGI snake technology apparently has not improved since 1997. I thought the '97 anacondas looked sketchy, but now I feel all warm and fuzzy about them. At least they did more interesting things than these manage to do.

Most disappointing element: KaDee Strickland, who has been promoted as an up-and-comer appearing in notable roles in various major films over the next year and who actually competed for the role of Sue Storm in the Fantastic Four movie... really sucked in this. She's very cute, it's true. But she's also horrible. Especially the way she fakes a horrendous Southern accent at the film's start and then mysteriously loses it halfway through. Yuck.

All told, I was sadly rooting for much of the cast to be eaten. The only honestly endearing character is simply endearing because he rips off some schtick I liked in Event Horizon, which is not a great claim. I really thought that since they went for a cast of unknowns this time out, they could afford more/better hardcore snake action. Wrong-o. Admittedly, a few of the actors are decent, such as Chestnut. But the leads manage to be among the suckiest of the flick. Oh, how I longed for the days of ultra-hammy Jon Voight.

I think I may have to check out the original again now. And someday I hope that somebody finally makes a good snake movie. I will be waiting.

It gets 1/5 from me for snakes-in-the-face, pretty jungle scenery, a few passable performances and the unintentional comedy.

RATING: 1.0

PROS: Will make you appreciate the first film a lot more.
CONS: From the largely inept acting to the horrendous writing to the 1994-level CGI work, it's hard to pick the worst element.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366174/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
A simple movie deserves a simple review, so here goes: this is a turkey, basted in a mixture of poo poo and vinegar. If you're looking for weak characterization and a series of half-assed scenes attempting suspense and/or action, this is the movie for you - though you may have to lobotomize yourself beforehand in order to find it interesting.

My hatred of this movie is also fuelled by the fact that its production cost me an internship with the visual effects company which did the effects. They signed me up for an internship and then stated they were too busy working on the movie in Fiji to let me work for them. :mad: Another reason to avoid it at all costs.

In conclusion, in a film festival of suck, this movie would come second. Because it sucks too much to come first.

Rated 1.

pipingfiend
Jun 23, 2004
NICE REVIEW YOU JERK :(

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 10, 2004

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Horrible. Eveything worth anything has been said by these two.

It's just like the 'original': a bunch of people running away from a cartoon.

1/5

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I think you people are rating this film far too highly. It's such a turd that it makes one desire death for all parties involved, including the audience.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
I saw it at a pre screening and i didnt mind it, me and the girl I was with made fun of it the whole time.

2.5 only cause it was free

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I watched this film because a girl dragged me into it. It was extremely campy and the actors were out-acted by the monkey. Don't expect oscar award winning performances here. The monkey saved the movie for me.

Rated with Monkey : 2/5
Rated without Monkey: 1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

Dumb movie, tries to be serious but comes accross as hilarious, but I was happy to sit through it for the snake orgy scene at the end.

2/5