Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knotty Naughty
Jul 11, 2003
Directed by: Peter Weir
Starring: Jim Carrey, Laura Linney, Noah Emmerich, Natascha McElhone

Jim Carrey stars as Truman Burbank, a man who's been videotaped his whole life and broadcast as the world's most popular television show, but he doesn't know it. The film is about him finding out and coming to grips with that and other life issues that have been drastically altered in ways he couldn't have understood before.

Definitely one of my favorite movies. This was the first movie in which I had seen Jim Carrey give a dramatic performance, and I was amazed at his capacity for a serious role -- now reinforced by other movies.

The movie really has everything, from laughs to action to a love story (ish), and it doesn't seem too mashed together. I'll admit that it goes from kind of odd to pretty surreal throughout the course of the film, but that's part of its charm.

It also has some of the most emotional scenes in any modern movie that I can think of. When Truman sees his wife giving advertisements, you know she's fed up with this life, and that some small part of her wants to help Truman. Another is Truman's last line of the movie... rips me up.

It can also be seen as a movie with a bigger message as to what the media do to us, and how important it actually is to us. For instance, everyone is concerned for Truman (albeit he doesn't know it) and dedicate their lives/homes/etc to him, and then when he escapes, the first thing they wonder is, "So, what else is on?"

In short, a great movie with some twists that haven't been overdone and executed expertly and very memorable scenes.

RATING: 5

PROS: Excellent acting, riveting story, causes thought
CONS: Not really any that I can think of. Some things may be taken as continuity errors or seen as plot developers, I see them as the latter.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120382/

Knotty Naughty fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
A part of me wishes that this movie had no publicity whatsoever, as it seems the film was designed to be watched without the viewer knowing precisely what's going on. I think that I would have enjoyed my first viewing of the film much more had I not previously known its premise, that Truman is living his life "On the air, unaware", picking up the clues, as Truman does, along the way and then having that "Oooooooooooh" moment when you first see a behind-the-scenes bit. Still, this is a powerful piece, and manages to be refreshingly original (when you consider that this movie was released before Survivor was a gleam in its creator's eye), with good, strong characters.

Favourite moments:

- Truman starts to become suspicious about his surroundings, and so one evening he and his best friend are out late at night talking about his concerns. All the while, his best friend is talking of honesty, trust, sincerity, friendship, but you see that all of his lines are being given to him by the show's creator through an earpiece, thus creating a kind of irony you don't get in filmmaking much these days.

- Whenever Truman's buddy shows up, he always has a six-pack. That was his gimmick. I found that amusing.

- At the show's climax, Truman is sailing as far away as he can on a little dinghy. To stop him, the director cues a huge storm. Truman, now aware that the world around him is artificial and controlled, shouts out "Is that the best you can do?! You're going to have to KILL ME!" and then proceeds to loudly sing "What do you do with a drunken sailor". So you, the viewer, are laughing a little bit. Then, in the next five minutes, the storm gets really fierce, Truman gets knocked out of the boat, etc. etc., and then you see the look on his face when it calms down, and suddenly the joy you had five minutes ago is gone without a trace. I was almost in tears at this point. Very powerful stuff.

My rating: 5

EDIT: Removed some stuff that was inaccurate, which can be blamed on my poor memory and tendency to mix up peoples' names.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 11, 2004

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I found this rather dull and over-hyped. It aimed too high, and was too dramatic without being able to handle it. Carrey just doesn't work in serious roles for me. 3.

Edit: Just watched it again. Oh man, the ending was so full of clichés I could hardly stand it. Ugh, lowered vote to 2.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 13, 2004

cams
Mar 28, 2003

quote:

Plom Bar came out of the closet to say:
- The creator of the show is never given a name. In the credits, Ed Norton's character is listed as "The Director". And he even introduces himself to Truman as "The Creator...of a Television Program that blah blah blah". There's some neat symbolism to be found there.

His name is Christov. And it's Ed Harris, not Norton.

Anywho, this movie is totally awesome. I loved every minute of it, the way Jim's life comes crashing down in front of him, and his slow realization of everything going on. Definately reccomended.

Rating: 5

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
One of the most powerful moments in the movie is when Truman reaches the 'end of the world', so to speak. I barely remember any of the movie, other than him reaching it.

Very good movie.

5/5

Sethan
May 18, 2002
This is a movie that I always held to myself as being great, but that most people around me seemed to hold as being bad. I think they either didn't get some of the subtleties of the film, or couldn't take Jim Carrey seriously in a non-wacky role.

I think my favourite moments are the clips of people infiltrating his world (parachute guy, etc), and when he's eating a bowl of cereal in the corner of some screen (I think it was an interview with the show's creator). They just seemed simultaneously surreal and realistic in a bizarre way.

I enjoyed the movie, thought it was original (for its time), and it stuck in my mind after watching it. I think that deserves a 5.

Rating: 5/5.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A true mindfuck of a movie. I was fortunate enough to see it through without knowing the entire plot, and it was an amazing journey. One of the better movies that year.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome movie. One of my favourites. Really does deserve a decent DVD treatment, and seems to have been forgotten lately, which is a pity.

Directrix
Jun 20, 2000

Definately in my top 10 favorite movies. I love the premise, the execution, the way they use the weird camera angles as if you're watching the actual show. There is nothing about this movie I dislike.

Let's not forget the ending. When he starts banging on the wall, and his speech and whatnot. Man, I can't think of any other movie that pushed me so close to tears.

5/5

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
An excellent movie, definitely Jim Carrey's best movie! I dug it and continue to watch it at least three times a year!

4.5/5

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I do believe this is Carrey's best movie. It is a very well done movie. 4.5/5

AFK
Feb 21, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
5/5

loving great movie. This film is innovative in so many loving ways and the philosophizing the film stimulates is...well...stimulating. A landmark in cinema and one of the most original films I've seen. No complaints.

Edit: To everyone saying that this is Jim Carrey's best, if you mean by performance, have you seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?" That is the movie where I felt Jim Carrey showed he could actually act.

AFK fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 14, 2004

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
really enjoyed this movie. the only time i've seen jim carrey in a non-comedy role that i enjoyed. there are some memorable scenes.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I saw this on VHS a few years ago, and enjoyed the hell out of it. It wasn't perfect, but I agree with many of the previous reviews. Voted 4 because it did have some lame/boring parts.

Kamakazi
May 7, 2002

Definitely Carrey's best. One of my top ten favorite movies.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
I had no idea what this was about when I saw it...it was my brother's idea. I figured "hey, Jim Carrey, it'll be some cheap laughs at least".

Instead I get a really well done drama/mindfuck piece that basically proved Jim Carrey could actually act, and he could do it well. My mind was pretty much blown that day.

It hardly held any of the power the second time I watched it, but it's still a great movie I can revisit every now and then.

4.5/5

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
A very good film, enlivened by Careys first lead 'serious' role. Sometimes wanders into the realm of cheese, but fun nonetheless.

4/5

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Another nice touch was the interviewer in the beginning of the movie mentioning that Christov was very adamant about maintaining his own privacy. Oh, the irony.

A wonderful movie, with an honored spot in my DVD collection.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Absolutely spectacular movie. Its in my top 3. I don't think I've ever seen a scene quite as powerful as the ending wherein his boat bumps the wall, he gets out, and proceeds to walk off the set.

5/5.

Oh, and music was beautiful.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Jim Carrey at his best, it's too bad he'll never be taken seriously as an actor because he talked with his butt cheecks in Ace Ventura.

The movie itself is spectacular. Ed Harris is great as a supporting actor, as he plays his part perfectly. The story was very interesting, and kept me wanting more, even after the story was over.

4.5/5

foetus66
Sep 6, 2003

splat happy.
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Great concept, great cast, great music, great direction. My only complaint (and this is only after three viewings) is that the Christof character is pretty over the top and cheesy. My third time through it I felt myself getting really irritated by him. If not for that I'd have given it 5.5 instead of 5.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Truman Show is flawless. It is one of the best films I've ever seen.

The pacing, the camerawork, the dialogue, the emotional buildup, the music - every part of this movie is done with love and tremendous, extraordinary talent.
It has been forged like a fine sword by a very experienced blacksmith.

It is not just about entertainment. This movie has clear messages.
It echoes in all of us with those memories where other people told us that there are things we can never do.
It is about waking up from the zombie-like complacency with the everyday life and taking a look around.
It is about so many things - describing this movie does not do it justice.

Peter Weir has managed to combine something very entertaining with something deep, humorous, and dramatic.
A good movie will make you laugh and it will make you cry.
It doesn't get much better than the Truman Show.

BitBucket
Mar 17, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Very good; not the best movie ever, but wholeheartedly recommended. The fact that Carrey can handle a movie with a plot is enough to get a 5 out of me, but the fact that the movie is still funny, interesting, and capable of evoking emotions is what really did it. Highly worthwhile and recommended for anyone.

Bathing Poodle
Nov 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
This is one of my favorite movies ever. I've always loved Jim Carrey, and seeing him perform perfectly in a serious role was awesome. The end of this movie is probably the best I've ever seen. 5.5

and a site note: This movie must have been a beautiful fluke for Peter Weir, because S1m0ne sucks.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Jim Carrey's first attempt at branching out from comedy into more serious dramas still has distinct signs of the manic energy of his characters, but shows that even he cannot be typecast. Truly an excellent and powerful film, as much a treatise on the human need for freedom as the true importance of the modern media.

5/5

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I saw this a while ago and enjoyed it, but didn't appreciate it for what it really was until I saw it again recently. This film could've easily been a gimmicky Jim Carrey number - but it's oh so much more than just that. What starts off with an intentionally ridiculous premise rapidly becomes a very serious and believeable film that grows and builds with the audience's mounting expectations, delivering a payoff that still has me smiling ear-to-ear.

So rare is a comedy that truly encompasses the classic definition of the term "comedy" - the triumph of the human spirit.

5/5

Side note: If you like this Carrey flick, see "eternal sunshine" and "man on the moon."

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

I'm going to go against the grain and say too many questions were left unanswered. The movie ended abruptly, and it seemed more like a bad weekday kids horror movie then a satire on its topic. It never really got me sucked in, perhaps because it was too light hearted.

Having said that, I did enjoy it, and the movie was well timed. Some of the jokes were pretty funny too.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkoubyDoo
Dec 24, 2004

This is in my top five list (with Vertigo, Blade Runner, North by Northwest, and The Godfather). I really love movies that are witty, thought provoking, have great cinematography, acting, and of course, music. This movie has it all.

I think the acting in this movie is incredible, and a lot of credit should go to the script. All the characters on the show, other than Truman, have their "real" alter egos and their character on the show. Laura Linney, who plays Truman's wife, plays this so well. I smile every time I notice it underneath her television persona.

The director, Peter Weir, hasn't directed a ton of movies, but does have some highlights: Witness, Dead Poets Society, Master and Commander. If you want to watch a similar movie, don't watch another Jim Carrey movie, try Dead Poets Society. It's also a great mix of comedy and drama, has a great musical score, has an uplifting if bittersweet ending, and includes another normally comedic actor in a more dramatic role: Robin Williams.

Finally, I must plug the soundtrack. The primary musical motif is the piano and it is downright spooky at times. Remember that the music in the movie is sometimes part of the show in the movie and other times it is part of the actual movie (for us). Confusing I know. I think the musical choices are as much open to interpretation as some of the onscreen themes. I'd like to think that when the movie reaches its emotional climax (when the boat crashes), the music used was not staged by the show, and the once TV-manipulated piano motif is reduced to just a one note performance ;).

To learn more about The Truman Show, be sure to buy the Special Edition with the collage of scenes from the movie making up Jim Carrey's face on the DVD cover.

5/5