Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J R
Mar 24, 2004

by Lowtax
Directed by: Isabel Coixet
Starring: Sarah Polley, Amanda Plummer, Scott Speedman, Lenor Watling, Mark Ruffalo

"My Life Without Me" is a surprising romantic comedy that falls seperately from average films of the same genre. There's a certain artful playfulness to the movie, and an endearing quality to it's characters.

Ann (Sarah Polley) is a young wife who had her first child when she was 17, and her second when she was 19, and has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. When her doctor tells her she has two months to live, she creates a list of all the things she wants to do before she dies. She keeps her terminal secret from all who love her, and persues the last days of her life with a renewed vigor. Having never been with another man except her loving husband (Scott Speedman), she takes a lover in the form of Lee (Mark Ruffalo). She also attempts to subtly set up her husband and children with a new mother figure in the form of her neighbour Ann (Lenor Watling).

The movie is thoughtful, artistic, dramatic, but most of all it examines the deepest trenches of human regret. In the very first scene of the movie, the main characters is standing in the rain remarking on the abject beauty of the universe, and how great the feeling of being alive can be. I highly recommend this movie for any person who enjoys drama from a more human perspective.

RATING: 5

PROS: Intelligent presentation, thoughtful characters, artistic style
CONS: Lack of morality

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314412/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rithtool
Jul 18, 2004
Rith
This movie is pretty much unknown. I have seen it, and it is amazing. Definitely makes you think about life and death, and the tangents that spawn from living.

Go see this movie, you won't be disappointed.

Rating: 5

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think this movie was shallow, superficial and insulting. Maybe it's because my older brother has cancer but I found the main character to be irritating and selfish. The premise is an adolescent wet dream of angst, allowing the main character to get away with murder and at the same time be all "boo hoo I won't tell them because I love them." I don't know about you, but in my situation you better be loving sure you're telling me that you're dying of cancer, because if you don't, and then you die, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

I realize it's meant to be a twee, slice of life thing, and I probably wouldn't have cared if I didn't have a personal situation that caused me to interpret it differently. To me though, the film's very premise prevents me from enjoying it very much. Having an affair... because you haven't had sex with someone else? The scale of ambition provided is shockingly low. Anyway I got all angried up again typing

Pro's: That twitchy canadian guy did a good job as the doctor who breaks the bad news, some good acting with questionable material
Con's: the story, characters, and entire premise

1.5 (mostly for canadian guy)