Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDjinni
Sep 13, 2007
I'm really glad for this thread. This series has been one of my favorites ever, and it really helped me during a bad way (temporarily disabled and waiting surgery). I got to spend a good month or so passing my extreme free time with LoGH.

And further more, from the topic on Central Anime Forums, it looks like they may be done with the last two Spiral Lab episodes soon. Then it will be all done!

(also said topic confirmed yeah, they don't want to touch Golden Wings even with a long pole. and from trying to sit down and watch it, subbed by a different group, I can see why.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Want to throw out that if you've finished LOGH and are itching for something moderately similar in some regards, the Rose of Versailles is a series of basically "Just LOGH royal court drama" combined with pre French Revolution history :allears:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This may be my first post in ADTRW, I dunno. Captain Invictus pointed the show out to me after I tried to have his back in a dumb argument in CineD's Ebert thread (I think), where as you might expect a lot of people handwaved anime as a genre because of bad experiences with some of the fandom (or just frank prejudice without any exposure). I shot a few PMs back and forth with him afterward just shooting the poo poo, eventually got around to asking him if there was anything I ought to watch. I think he linked me to Mind Game first, which was an awesome movie, and after that I asked him for anything else that was good so naturally he pointed me here.

My prior exposure to anime is limited. When I was thirteen or so I watched Akira and the first Appleseed and Armitige the 3rd movies and really liked them, but then my cousin got seriously hardcore into anime and kind of ruined it for me by never shutting the gently caress up about it ever. Then Avatar: The Last Airbender came along and reminded me that there's nothing inherently bad about Japanese style animation. I've gingerly picked at some stuff from the genre since then, especially liking a few mini-series' (like Afro Samurai) that have made it stateside. I have everything from Studio Ghibli but for most anti-anime people they don't really "count" as anime :confused:. I guess it's not easy to dismiss such apparent quality, and to be fair they ask a lot less of the viewer in terms of charity toward the premise of the movie, and generally don't challenge sensibilities in their animation style (unlike Mind Game, which does have some stuff in it that I think might initially turn people off if they have some kind of knee-jerk objection to distinctly non-Western artistic direction).

Anyway, long story short, I started watching LOGH with the first two movies and then into the first few episodes, and I'm :aaaaa: at how incredible this series is. The animation quality is completely fantastic for the time period, for one thing. The storytelling is sophisticated and, in my opinion, fairly literary, executed without dipping into any of the obnoxious ruts that some modern sci-fi military oriented shows can succumb to (from either side of the ocean, animated or otherwise). I'm not a war historian or a military buff but it seems like the show's creators are from how well they handle the military aspects of the show. I am more familiar with the history of European drama at court, and it's a treat to see all that handled equally well too. And despite the integration of cool historical stuff, it's telling a very cool, very original story. I'm trying not to just binge through it but it's really hard not to when it's so compelling.

Long rear end post to say thanks for the thread, this is one of the best shows I've ever watched. It's really ambitious without its reach exceeding its grasp, not easy for any "space opera" sci-fi to pull off in any format. Very cool!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 20, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're lucky you're even able to binge it. What was the time between each episode's subbing? Months?

And if you're looking for more interesting stuff like it or not, Zorak's got pretty great taste. Most everything he's suggested to me has been outstanding. I could suggest some other things but I doubt they'd be up your alley.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Agreed posted:

The animation quality is completely fantastic for the time period, for one thing.

This actually kind of varies and depends. Some shows had incredible budgets/ very skilled wage slaves working on them in the 80s, producing some phenomenal poo poo. LOGH looks nice, but if you pay a LOT of attention to the art, you'll notice they are just very smart about cutting corners / keeping movement low. There are other shows that rocked the 80s art incredibly well and were absolutely gorgeous looking back at them in higher resolution.

Since this show involves lot of talking / dramatic standing still / CUE THE ORCHESTRA, ROLL SHIP FOOTAGE, you don't NEED to animate much. So it works nice!

It is pretty good compared to the mid to late 90s in a lot of shows, yea. Not all though.

and yes, my taste is immaculate

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Reminder that despite being 110 episodes and people referring to the side stories as the OVAs, the main series is also an OVA, which almost universally means higher budget than TV of the time to boot.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zorak posted:

This actually kind of varies and depends. Some shows had incredible budgets/ very skilled wage slaves working on them in the 80s, producing some phenomenal poo poo. LOGH looks nice, but if you pay a LOT of attention to the art, you'll notice they are just very smart about cutting corners / keeping movement low. There are other shows that rocked the 80s art incredibly well and were absolutely gorgeous looking back at them in higher resolution.

Since this show involves lot of talking / dramatic standing still / CUE THE ORCHESTRA, ROLL SHIP FOOTAGE, you don't NEED to animate much. So it works nice!

It is pretty good compared to the mid to late 90s in a lot of shows, yea. Not all though.

and yes, my taste is immaculate

I will definitely defer to your knowledge of the genre. If you say that it's not stand-out, I'll accept that. It's just that in my own experience, which is obviously a lot more limited than yours, the animation quality from what I've seen so far (both movies and up to episode six or seven now) is generally on par with major productions from the time period in terms of shadow detail, lighting uniformity, depth of field, movement in shots apart from the focal characters, and some really nice touches like "lens artifacts" every now and again (though I do agree that with a lot of static shots they're able to cut corners in parts without it looking like Speed Racer). Given that it ran for around a decade, I fully expect there to be some better and some worse episodes as far as animation goes. I'm just really impressed with the presentation of everything right now. The general style and presentation seems to be pretty much on par with animated features that have a similar sense of proportion, like Ninja Scroll, though obviously LOGH is slower paced and doesn't feature nearly as much "work" in the animation. But detail and general presentation, I am very impressed. Maybe just too easily impressed, but it stands out in my small world of known anime.

I don't want to bug you for recommendations until I'm done with this, I've got a lot of stuff pulling at my time as it is, but if it's alright, when I do make my way through the series, can I shoot you a PM to see if you can point me toward some stuff (not necessarily similar, just other high quality shows that do not suck to the same degree that this does not suck)?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 20, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Agreed posted:

I don't want to bug you for recommendations until I'm done with this, I've got a lot of stuff pulling at my time as it is, but if it's alright, when I do make my way through the series, can I shoot you a PM to see if you can point me toward some stuff (not necessarily similar, just other high quality shows that do not suck to the same degree that this does not suck)?

By all means.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Zorak posted:

Want to throw out that if you've finished LOGH and are itching for something moderately similar in some regards, the Rose of Versailles is a series of basically "Just LOGH royal court drama" combined with pre French Revolution history :allears:

But are there explosions?
(And a Fleet Admiral idly napping at his post?)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Now that you've pointed it out I can't help but notice a ton of static backgrounds used. Oh, well, they're well-drawn static backgrounds and when there is animation it's great. :kiddo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Heibi2 from CA's forum posted:

Sept 18: Finished my initial work on Part 1 of 3rd Battle of Tiamat. Will get #2 done next week and release Sunday or Monday(26th or 27th).

Sept 21: The last 2 episodes are now ready for a pre-check and a final check. Just have to gather my minions for them.

Oh my :kiddo:

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
:siren: Tiamat I and II!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Just finished ep 82.

God drat this show killing the best character.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Please don't say who the best character is, I can't believe I read that spoiler, I've got to keep away from this thread now. :suicide:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Maxwells Demon posted:

Just finished ep 82.

God drat this show killing the best character.

Yeah... I'm at ~90 something and I'm still bummed that it happened. It was definitely going to happen at one point or another since Yang's just so unselfish and loves democracy.

Anyone here read Terraist as Terrorists?

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Agreed posted:

Please don't say who the best character is, I can't believe I read that spoiler, I've got to keep away from this thread now. :suicide:

Yeah, don't read any spoilers in this thread until you are finished, this show doesn't pull any punches so the spoilers end up mindblowing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Yeah, don't read any spoilers in this thread until you are finished, this show doesn't pull any punches so the spoilers end up mindblowing.

I will take your advice, see y'all when I'm through. This show is way too good to spoil, and they do an amazing job of naturally showing the relationships between characters such that you become sympathetic to, er, everybody.

Thanks for the thread, adios 'til I'm done. :kiddo:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Agreed posted:

I will take your advice, see y'all when I'm through. This show is way too good to spoil, and they do an amazing job of naturally showing the relationships between characters such that you become sympathetic to, er, everybody.

Thanks for the thread, adios 'til I'm done. :kiddo:

You can read the thread, just don't highlight spoiler tags. THAT SIMPLE.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoldenNugget posted:

Anyone here read Terraist as Terrorists?

Bet you a Coke that it was a deliberate choice by the sub team for just that reason

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zorak posted:

You can read the thread, just don't highlight spoiler tags. THAT SIMPLE.

Well, it seems like it would be that simple, but it's a compulsion and I can't resist. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Anyway, I've had the opportunity to give thanks to the thread for giving me tons of great stuff to watch, and hopefully I'll get some more fun shows in the future. Nothing :negative: about it, I just fiend for spoilers like crack and have ruined way too many important surprises because of it so I've learned to just deal with my :downs: and bugger off if I feel I'm at risk of loving the experience up for myself.

Thanks very much for everything, dudes, will report back later. My wife's into it now, as well, so we're watching it together and she agrees it's a fantastic show :hfive:

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Agreed posted:

Well, it seems like it would be that simple, but it's a compulsion and I can't resist. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Anyway, I've had the opportunity to give thanks to the thread for giving me tons of great stuff to watch, and hopefully I'll get some more fun shows in the future. Nothing :negative: about it, I just fiend for spoilers like crack and have ruined way too many important surprises because of it so I've learned to just deal with my :downs: and bugger off if I feel I'm at risk of loving the experience up for myself.

Thanks very much for everything, dudes, will report back later. My wife's into it now, as well, so we're watching it together and she agrees it's a fantastic show :hfive:

You may have already gotten this message, but if you truly want an unspoiled experience watching this show:

DO NOT WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE PREVIEWS.

Just repeat the 'another page in history' quote to yourself and move on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If there's one thing to complain about in LOGH, aside from the pretty boy-ness of some of the characters, it's the narrator's foreshadowing. They're really, really bad about it sometimes.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Captain Invictus posted:

If there's one thing to complain about in LOGH, aside from the pretty boy-ness of some of the characters, it's the narrator's foreshadowing. They're really, really bad about it sometimes.

And this was the last time the two would share a drink.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Honest Ray posted:

Seriously, gently caress that. Douchebag ruined it for me like FIVE EPISODES before it actually happened.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously, gently caress that. Douchebag ruined it for me like FIVE EPISODES before it actually happened.

how about the title to episode 82, The Magician Doesn't Come Home

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

This isn't a surprising or new thing in literature? A plot's worth isn't in how it SURPRISE I JUST DID _____ BUT YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT, otherwise M. Night Shamylan would be the best writer/ director ever (HE ISN'T!!!!)

What matters is how it's executed, how it's done, how it's brought to the table. Even if it's mildly foreshadowed, they aren't exactly clear what's going on. You have suspicions, but no definites. The inevitable can be more powerful than the sudden, you know!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorak posted:

What matters is how it's executed, how it's done, how it's brought to the table. Even if it's mildly foreshadowed, they aren't exactly clear what's going on. You have suspicions, but no definites. The inevitable can be more powerful than the sudden, you know!

Agreeing with this.

Also, I really love LOGH's semi-documentary style. Having an absolutely galaxy shattering event like Yang dying not talked about in advance would hurt the show more than leaving it a surprise.

A Rabid Llama
Aug 19, 2003

Donkey PUNCH
I apologize if this has been asked before -- I tried to page through the thread and look for it, and got something spoiled for me, so I can't really do that anymore.

Do they ever explain how "Space Corridors" work, and why? As a sci-fi/space combat nerd, I'm very curious about that kind of mechanical stuff. After all, their existence is very important -- Iserlohn Fortress' existence only makes sense if you can't just go around it, and I know that they essentially trap a fleet against a space corridor's "wall" at some point.

I was thinking that the show just wouldn't explain that kind of stuff, and then all of a sudden one episode explained why they use hand-targeted ship lasers, so I'm wondering if there's an episode stuck in there somewhere about space travel and FTL drive tech (I'm only on episode 40).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A Rabid Llama posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before -- I tried to page through the thread and look for it, and got something spoiled for me, so I can't really do that anymore.

Do they ever explain how "Space Corridors" work, and why? As a sci-fi/space combat nerd, I'm very curious about that kind of mechanical stuff. After all, their existence is very important -- Iserlohn Fortress' existence only makes sense if you can't just go around it, and I know that they essentially trap a fleet against a space corridor's "wall" at some point.

I was thinking that the show just wouldn't explain that kind of stuff, and then all of a sudden one episode explained why they use hand-targeted ship lasers, so I'm wondering if there's an episode stuck in there somewhere about space travel and FTL drive tech (I'm only on episode 40).

Interstellar travel works by star jumping, basically. It moves from star to star only, so long as the stars are of relatively close proximity and without massive obstruction.

The FPA and the Empire are in different spiral arms of the galaxy, with not much stars between them. So the "corridors" are basically the only places with stars between them. The issue is, "manual" flight is still necessary in it, meaning there's a chokehold, which paired with the fact that the area around the corridor is apparently a violent nebula/ stellar network of some kind, you have a very tight and difficult area.

They don't explain this, but basically yeah.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gary Mitchell posted:

:siren: Tiamat I and II!

:dance:

Been looking forward to this for so long!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Finally got around to finishing the main series. drat the whole series makes me sad. I hate how so many people die because the series does an excellent job of fleshing out every character and doesn't really villianize anyone. While the next generation is there to hopefully make things better, the world is still pretty bleak :/.

What other LoGH should I see? I've only seen the main series (I didn't watch any of the movies and was halfway through it before I cam upon this thread). Should I got back and watch the movies that happen before the main series?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The first movie you should've actually watched before starting the series, but it isn't that big a deal. It's still nice to go back and watch. The second movie is a remake of the first couple of episodes.

I'd also recommend the prequel OVAs, which just finished up. Another 52 episodes of LOGH isn't a bad thing at all.

johne1way
Apr 30, 2007
Does anybody know what the German text at the beginning of My Conquest is the Sea of Stars says? I can't find it online.

PS LoGH is awesome

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The narrator over that opening pretty much reads out the text. Good thing he does, because it's pretty hard to read due to a number of things (more or less random capitalisation, awkward phrasing, bad compression).

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
legend of germanic homos is an awesome series, i'm up to 40-something (it's written on my whiteboard). it is a genuine bona-fide goddamn soap opera for MEN.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
They're re-releasing the LOGH episodes with DVD video sources now. I think the 'official' tracker is currently NyaaTorrents.

One thing I'm on the fence about regarding the DVD release is that some of the scenes (and a couple of whole episodes) have been reanimated. On the one hand, the original material wasn't always great, but on the other hand the new animation feels... wrong, somehow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hey, does anyone know what the music at the end of episode 43 is? I've been trawling the big LOGH soundtrack but I can't seem to find it.

dabomb
Mar 21, 2007
username says it all
just finished the second season (episode 54) and all I can say is, drat. Those last 5 episodes were mind-blowing in terms of what happened.

Not sure if spoilers are necessary considering the series is now like 10+ years old but anyways:

Yang's actions are so frustrating, but on an intellectual level you have to feel for him and understand why he does what he does. Still pissed me off how close to success they were only to give up.

Interested to see what happens from this point on

dabomb fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 25, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Someone bothered to convert the LOGH subs into softsubs. Presumably some intrepid fellow will mux them onto the blurays soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Honest Ray posted:

dabomb, you should not read these spoilers

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if Julian had bit it instead of Yang. I know that it's more powerful for Yang to die, but I just never had nearly as much interest in the adventures of JULIAN MINCI, BOY WONDER as I did in that lovable ol' history nerd.