Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Currently on Episode 23. Really enjoying the depiction of the simultaneous civil wars. Busy downloading the second batch torrent of episodes 29-56, but it's a lot slower than the first one, IMHO.

Among my favorite things so far is Episode 20, where Reinhard's forces are trying to take one of the rebelling nobles' fortresses, and the fighting devolves into utterly loving brutal melee combat with axes and crossbows.

If this is the poo poo we're going to get with Tytania, but with Macross Frontier levels of graphics... I'm gonna just have to break down in tears that it'll take a week in between each episode of that. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
The LoGH game demo is pretty fun, even if I don't know what the commanders' special buffs do. I've eaten my way through four fleets thrown at me, but then the 15-minute time limit stops me from finishing off those two level 3 fleets that try and attack you at once. I've already mauled them both pretty badly by splitting them apart from each other and hammering just one at a time, and I managed to actually split one fleet apart with a column attack, and then obliterated the 1/3rd of his fleet I'd split off.

Goddamn 15 minute time limit!

But this is like crack and I want more

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Where can I find the soundtracks of this? The music they play for battles is amazing.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Anywhere they sell classical music. :v:

Seriously though. Besides the opening and ending themes, it's all Beethoven, Mahler, Wagner, Hayden, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, and so on.

Oh, cool, so ALL of it is actual classical music.

I just wish there was a list of the particular pieces they use in the series - especially during battles.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Though honestly - loving crossbows?

Well, I suppose the armor is really more laserproofing than anything else.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Zorak posted:

Well, they're not going to set off the Zephyr particles like gun/ laser fire would, so...

Wait, just plain slug-firing guns would set off the Zephyr Particles?

But I suppose a crossbow bolt would be pretty effective against relatively light Panzergrenadier-style armor.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
The Gaidens aren't really being seeded anymore, but they're all up on Megaupload.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Honest Ray posted:

I feel like I'm doing my part because I've gotten about 5 people to watch this series.

This series is best enjoyed with a friend and some :420:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
It should be noted that every strategy employed by Yang Wenli against Reinhard ultimately all operate on the same goal - the neutralization of Reinhard von Lohengramm. This is of course very much in-character for Yang (and ironically, for Oberstein, too) - Yang would like to keep battlefield casualties to a minimum, and the quickest way to end a battle (Or, indeed, a war) would be by removing the man at the top. In this respect, Reinhard's authoritarian Empire is far more vulnerable to this tactic, since the Empire ultimately relies on his supreme competence, though Reinhard acknowledges this and guides policies to counteract this. Still, the very same tactic is nowhere near as applicable to the democratic Alliance, and this is demonstrated by the fact that the Iserlohn Fleet did not fall apart completely after Yang's death, and that any competent man could succeed him - in this case, Julian Minci - and they STILL went on to win one last battle.

We see this at the 4th Tiamat Battle, where Yang holds Reinhard's flagship hostage with the Ulysses at point-blank range, so that the beaten Alliance fleet can withdraw in peace.

At the Battle of Vermillion, Yang nearly causes the complete collapse of the Imperial invasion by being one order to open fire away from killing Reinhard..

During the Battle of the Corridor, Yang attempts this yet again, but Reinhard manages to fend off the assault intended to threaten his flagship.

Even after Yang's death, Julian manages to use essentially the same tactic all over again, by boarding the Brunhild during the final battle of the series

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Honest Ray posted:

The last battle of the series, Reinhard let Julian get to him. Muller and Mittermeyer could have gunned his rear end down.

Quit teasing me, I wanted to see that happen, too. :P

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Ragg posted:

Ach, disregard.

Excellent avatar+thread combo.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Zorak posted:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lw9tt6

here's LoGH's original soundtrack stuff.

Could you rehost this? I lost it and I liked having the mp3 of Bolero.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Mutineer was good, though I hate how they're using a different sort of animation - it makes the space scenes look so much less gorgeous than their original hand-drawn work in the main series.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Zackarotto posted:

Looks like you quoted the wrong part of my post, but anyhow, if there are just ten episodes left to go I might as well wait and watch both gaidens at the same time; I have another highly-acclaimed retro space-war anime to get started on, so I'm not completely starving here.

Don't be coy, tell us what this other show is!

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
I like it, and this thread ought to be stickied.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
The violence in Tytania is so sanitized. LoGH wasn't afraid to show us what happens to the poor bastards inside of a ship when it gets blown up, people bled profusely when they were shot or hacked apart. In Tytania, someone gets shot like 100 times by laser rifles, and his corpse is in perfect condition

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

That was amazing.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Gary Mitchell posted:

Did you notice that not once, but twice the Alliance lost an entire carrier of Spartanians thanks to one loving Valkyrie?

I love sci-fi without shields!

You say that despite when Yang's flagship went nose-to-nose with the Krunten, and they showed them exchanging main gun fire, and shields repelling it.

The reason that entire carriers went up to the Valkyries is because they failed to give the order to launch the Spartanians soon enough.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Okay, it's being released as a DVD collection, but will they be making any more of it? Tytania seemed underwhelming in every single way compared to LoGH.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
I swear I think he's some Alliance admiral who gets blown up.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
They keep talking about "The time when Reinhard took out a Cruiser in his Destroyer!", but it doesn't seem to ever occur onscreen. Or am I retarded and missed it somewhere?

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same...

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Chorusing out "SPACE DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!" with my friend when LoGH uses questionable physics was one of the best parts of watching this series :v:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
A beloved director of science fiction shows passed away at age 73 (via ANN)

quote:

Studio Nue co-founder Haruka Takachiho reported on Wednesday that Noboru Ishiguro, the veteran director of such works as Space Battleship Yamato, the first color Astro Boy anime series (1980), The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, has passed away. He was 73.

Ishiguro directed some of the most highly regarded anime classics of the last five decades, including those listed above as well as Megazone 23, The Super Dimension Century Orguss, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? film, and Yōkai Ningen Bem. Ishiguro also conceived of Megazone 23's story and founded Artland in 1978, the studio that co-produced Macross, Orguss and Galactic Heroes, and animated more recent titles such as Mushi-Shi, Demon King Daimao, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Most recently, Ishiguro directed the 2008-2009 television anime series Tytania, which was based on a series of novels by Galactic Heroes author Yoshiki Tanaka, and Pattenrai!! - Minami no Shima no Mizu Monogatari, a 2009 film based on the life of Yoichi Hatta, the Japanese engineer that helped modernize Taiwan when it was a colony of Japan.

Ishiguro was scheduled to attend North Carolina's Animazement convention on May 25-27. He attended past U.S. conventions such as several Anime Expo events, Anime Weekend Atlanta in 2007, and Otakon in 2009.

Let us remember this fine man, his work, and the things it taught us.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Found a bit of a plot hole. In the first season when the Alliance-occupied Imperial worlds have food riots due to the Alliance fleet plundering them, why does Yang's fleet not have any rioting issues? Genius as he is, he lacks a magic jar from which gushes forth food, water, and spare parts.
I guess the only option is that Yang didn't take supplies back from the Imperial planets, leaving his soldiers hungry... but Yang's fleet never shows any additional supply issues over other Alliance fleets in the battles against Lutz and Kircheis' fleets, and at Amlitzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Raku posted:

Yang anticipated the entire scenario, so of course he would have issued orders to be stockpiling rations.

How? His soldiers eat just as fast as other fleets'. 50 million civilians needed food. Did Yang just ignore the order to supply the civvies in the first place so they wouldn't get angry about food being taken back later?

DamnGlitch posted:

Yup. Presumably thats why the show took the rare look away from the central characters to a one off story about an unprepared fleet.

ALL other Alliance Fleets suffered the same problem, including Bucock's, IIRC. What did Yang do, without any additional resources, that everyone else was too stupid to do?