Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I dunno if the Empire was being portrayed as above reproach as a lot of people seem to think it was. It was a terrible place to live if you weren't a noble until Reinhard took over, and when he did, the dude was gradually taking the steps towards dismantling it because he had dealt with the wrong end of the autocratic stick firsthand. Even beyond stuff like that you had the rebellion with Reuenthal, which basically played out in a fashion that seemed to underline how hosed up things can be when honor and fancypants set-tripping are treated as being more valuable than due process and other less hot-blooded democratic stuff.

Basically, Norio Wakamoto died to remind that autocracy is dumb, even if the guy in charge is a relative saint. If that's not a condemnation I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've been working my way through the prequel series myself and I'm really liking it. It's interesting to see where the characters first met up,

I'll be honest, as much as I love LOGH, it's a very low intensity series that half the time I just listened to while doing something else, so the slower pace doesn't bother me at all. I will never get tired of seeing Yang find a way to capitalize on the stupidity of others. And it's much more fun to see Reinhard make his way up the Imperial power structure by fighting for every inch and every ounce of credibility, instead of "BTW I won like fifty battles can I be boss now?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Houshin Engi guy is going to be doing a LOGH manga in weekly Young Jump

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

This picture makes me realize if there's anything that this and the new anime can do, its add a little bit more visual flavor

I mean the uniforms from the classic anime are good in a sort of very utilitarian, plausible, but narratively functional way. But they don't look... cool.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched the first episode and my thoughts were that it was watchable, but has issues. I really miss the classical music soundtrack, I thought it did wonders for setting a tone as well as helping things feel lively. There are a lot of sequences in the first episode where its just dead quiet apart from Rein and Red chatting, and they felt a little dry to me as a result.

I actually like the CG used for the battle sequences. They do a good job of displaying the density and chaos that was lacking from the original anime. You can really believe that millions of soldiers could die when you see the number of ships on display in the remake.

The character designs are a mixed bag. I don't think the faces and body types look distinct enough, but I like the added level of detail in the uniforms a lot.

All in all I'd say it was not offensively bad, but not really good enough to be called good, either.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Raku posted:

it's a military drama about a young, alcoholic racist who gets upset about a black man being on his bridge

Hey!

Yang is classist, not racist. He was upset because an unauthorized enlisted man was on the bridge.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Reinhard is kind of naive when it comes to poo poo other than matters of state and war. It's one of the big differences between him and Yang. He's like the Batman of governance; he lost a family member due to an injustice at a young age, and dedicated himself to correcting that through sheer willpower and know-how, to the detriment of basically every other aspect of what normal folks would call "life."

I'm not really qualified to make any statements in regards to "BUT IS HE GAY REALLY AND HOW MUCH?" either way but it's fair to say that, in a variety of ways, typical social standards aren't really applicable to him

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The way they depicted Trunicht in the remake strikes me as...

...He seems too... convincing? Like, maybe this is confirmation bias talking, but most politicos who are full of MAXIMUM poo poo are bad at hiding it. They're self-serving liars, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can tell, but they're popular anyway; that's part of why they're so frustrating.

In the new anime he comes across as more like someone who's revealed to be a bastard in a dramatic twist which kind of happens when he sends the PKC after Jessica instead of a bastard who's so secure in his position he barely exhorts the effort to erect a facade

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was feeling frustrated with Yang a while back when I was re-watching the OAVs before the remake hit, and it occurred to me how he's really at odds with himself on a fundamental level. As a high ranking military goober who made his rep by killing and getting people killed (even if that wasn't his personal intent) he's what he himself believes should be the last kind of person running a civilian government. It's literally the same setup as Rudolph had when he took power. So instead he sits back and tries to do the right thing from his position as a military leader hoping that people will see sense (they won't) and all the while politicos growing more and more paranoid about the hypothetical threat he would pose if he did seek power, either politically or through a coup, so they do everything in their power to rein him in when he's literally just sitting there

But more than anything else, the one he's fighting is Reinhardt. Reinhardt von Lohengramm, the guy who overthrew a centuries old oppressive regime because a pervy old gently caress turned his sister into property. The guy who put a big, ornately decorated black leather boot up the rear end of anyone who defied his ambition for a more egalitarian space Prussia. Someone who's probably going to spank any and all Alliance government stooges who either try to curry favor by being scumbags or try to get away with scumbag moves under his rule, should he manage to take over.

I guess what I'm saying is, out of all the characters who feel conflicted about poo poo or have motivation problems in anime, Yang is the best one

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Bongo Bill posted:

Somebody told me that they turned up pilot dubs for a canceled 1999 English release. Episodes 51 and 52 turned up.

A little dry and the rewrite lacks finesse but considering how some dubs sound, I'd take it over most

Poplan sounding like Joey from Yugioh sure is a thing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TenementFunster posted:

my only beef with eps 90-96 so far is that no way would 3,500,000 dudes stick with Reuenthal against the rest of the Empire

You gotta keep in mind how scale works in this setting. There are oodles of planets that have been colonized, with battles where the deathcount is routinely in the millions.