Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

duck monster posted:

If space opera obeyed physics, most of the ship scenes would have the inhabitants floating helplessly around the ship. Which I contend would make everything better.

Nah, the ships would just look different and be designed to generate gravity by rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sorry, Reinhard is too busy having the hots for his sister, to be interested in a homosexual romance. Seriously though, its just a very close friendship. Just because someone is in a close relationship doesn't mean they have sexual feelings for each other.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

To the earlier sci-fi discussion, the only part of the series that really went full Star Trek for me was (season4) Rubinsky's brainbomb. There was no precedent for anything like that in the series and took me right out of things for a minute. Other than that bit everything else seemed fairly physically realistic.

I bet if someone really wanted to and had the cash, they could probably rig up something similar to that right now in the present.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 8, 2011

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Zorak posted:

Hello twists aren't the sign of good writing. Foreshadowing is, on the other hand, a very effective narrative technique, even if it's right there in your face.

It managed to build your dread leading up to that episode, did it not? :v:

Didn't you hear Zorak? they got M. Night Shyamalan to direct a live action adaptation of Legend of Galactic Heroes. The twist is that Reinhard was actually his sister all along.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Hadn't Julian already proven his willingness to shed blood for his ideals? The continuation of the battle is completely unneccessary. It demonstrates his bloodlust and little else.
I think that was more the author trying to show off how awesome and special Julian is more than anything else. It was pretty out of character for Reinhard. Julian had become a little bit of a Mary Sue by the end of the series.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

You could use this to help make it http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Timeline

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Placid Marmot posted:

:siren: Episode 100 spoiler :siren:

oberstein.jpg

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of Oberstein's character. Oberstein is actually really good at interacting with people and getting them to do what he wants them to do. Oberstein doesn't want to be liked and sees himself as a necessary evil. Maintaining friendships would just hinder him from completing his objectives.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

knox posted:

In my search for images from LOTGH you obviously come across stuff like tumblr/other posts/etc and the relationship of Reinhard & Kircheis is always the one brought up but never Kircheis & Annerose, which I mean clearly he was in love with her and Reinhard knew that as well. Maybe Reinhard is gay and loved Kircheis beyond their friendship, but I always saw Kircheis as just being devoted to Reinhard since childhood and his true love Annerose telling him to take care of her brother + sheer ambition of Reinhard that has even the best admirals awestruck made Kircheis believe they could accomplish the incredibly lofty dreams he had. I never saw the OVA's prior to Conquest, so I don't know if any type of romance happens between them but I wouldn't think they would have something in OVA and not anime itself. It's an extremely unique kind of uh 'love-triangle.'

Fan art rarely matches the actual relationships in a series. If fanart was accurate, then Supernatural is a show about incestuous brothers.

Kircheiss and Annerose both loved each other, and that's one of the reasons she is depressed for most of the series. She got the person she was in love with killed because she told him to protect his brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hidive sadly not available in my part of the world, but I'll see if I can track down the blu-rays. Thanks!

The blu-rays were ridiculously expensive when they were available. Now that they aren't being made anymore they will be probably be even more overpriced.