Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
As a newbie who just started watching this with the first movie I have to say that if the rest of the show is as incredible as the movie was this is gonna be a hell of a ride and I can't wait.

Also Yang Wenli has the biggest balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

You will grow to learn you need not pick one or the other, you can love them both :)

That being said Yang Wenli is the chillest dude to ever live. He is :cheers: incarnate.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

After starting this journey in december, I have finally finished it about five minutes ago. This show is not only probably the best anime I have ever watched, but also pretty much the best show I have ever seen. I would not hesitate a single moment to call it the best show ever made either.

I am glad I watched it, and I'm kinda sad that we probably won't see anything similar ever again.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

If anyone ever wondered how LoGH would look in stage play form I just uploaded the first one to my youtube channel and it can be watched here

Space battles in dance number form are a sight to behold I tell you what.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Manyorcas posted:

Oh, and the one time Reindhart used engineer-class ships to shoot ~alpha particles~ at that pearl defense system.

That was ~KIRCHEIS-KUN~, it's his character development episode too! He's not just reinhard's lap dog he's just as smart as him!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Just started watching this, I think I've gotten my wife into it too. I kinda don't get how interstellar travel works in this, but I suppose it will be explained later.

It's very slow, that's about all they mention. It's like 3 weeks of travel from Heinessen to Iserlohn fortress for example.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

moflika posted:

Ugh, looks like I got the DVD batch a few months before the 720p batch came out. Is the the quality jump noticeable enough to warrant a download? I've seen and love the show at this point, so just wondering more for archiving and future re-watches.

If you already have the DVD version then there's really no reason, the BDs aren't particularly great.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

And wasn't there something with the cgi they used for a lot of the ship / fleet movements that they can't upscale in the same way as the cell animation? I wouldn't expect them to have kept all the original resources anyway. Lucky the show is so drat good it could have been done in ASCII and I'd still recommend it.

It's from 1989, I'm fairly certain there's no CGI for those sequences. You're thinking of the issues Bebop had to get to BD.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Radiocarbon posted:

A few years ago, I started the second season of Legend of Galactic Heroes and then stopped because the subs were pretty awful. I stopped around Yang Wen-Li's inquiry, since the unnatural flow and vocabulary was jarring enough to make me feel illiterate. Even worse, the older subs stripped out much of the personality and mannerisms of the chracters, making quite a few of them blur together.

Believe me, it was rather disheartening to stop since the first season had me hooked. But thanks to this thread, I gave LoGH a second chance since I just learned of the existence of the Central Anime subs. The improvement is clear-cut (e.g. Mittermeyer is known as "he who is swift as a wolf" in the original subs and "The Gale Wolf" in the Central Anime subs. Proper noun and everything,) and strong enough to completely enhance my enjoyment of the series.

Anyways, I would like to thank the fantastic OP for reintroducing me to what became one of my favorite sci-fi works of any medium, anime or not.

You were watching hong kong subs, translated from japanese to chinese to borderline english by bootleggers. That might have been your problem.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Iserlohn posted:

The only prequel sort of thing you should be watching is the "My Conquest is the Sea of stars" movie. The prequel OVA's were made after the main series' run and are not really referenced at all. You'll also be dealing with different levels of animation, whereas the main series is pretty nicely consistent.

It's not a prequel. It's actually the start of the show. Being as it was released a full year before the first volume of the OVA. It introduces the setting and some of the characters.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The series was produced between 1988 and 2000, so animation inconsistencies will happen occasionally.

Wrong, it's actually footage that had to be re-animated digitally because the original was unusable. Everyone looks pink as gently caress and it's super jarring, the laserdisc release is the only way to watch the show in its original non pink babies form.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

It's... not the biggest deal in the world. I've watched the LDs the DVD and the BRs and it was never jarring enough for me to even notice :o

It's pretty drat noticeable when everyone looks like they're related to Kirby. It's animated the same way the latter half of the side stories were and it's not good looking.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

The eds and ops for LoTG are kinda hit or miss. Also the weirdly prominent role Annarose always seems to play in them.

They're all god damned fantastic except for OP4. The EDs especially are excellent, the first one is forever ingrained into my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Are there huge discrepancies between the LOGH anime and the novels?

attenborough doesnt exist in the novels. quite a bit of fluff in the first season isnt there either iirc.