Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm the AP and the anime hater. I look forward to doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah. Based on the things I have heard from people who have watched this before, I expect to enjoy it and probably take the empty throne of "AP's Favourite Anime". Dry political intrigue, slow development and epics are basically my poo poo all over.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Nah, I reckon our commentary will be more than 'woooow this was sweeeet son'. I watched Conquest the other day, spotted themes which I am gonna highlight and discuss as we go along if they continue.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Also, phone won't let me edit, but I am also on the side of chronology.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I am another anime hater who loves LoGH.

And as somebody who has previously attempted to play the role of anime hater on a podcast, I encourage you to make plenty of predictions about what's going to happen. Right predictions are just as good as wrong ones.

I will probably make some guesses about what is going to happen in future episodes, but it won't be based on experiences of past anime. It would be more just based on effective storytelling and expectations based on things that I find felt similar. For example, I don't know anything about the show after Conquest (watched it the other day in prep) but it seems like there are a lot of characters. A prediction will be "most of these guys are gonna die". I probably won't be playing a role in the podcast either, no point being an anime hater if I find I don't hate it. That ain't fun or sporting.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Paul Oberstein is evil as poo poo and nobody will convince me otherwise. He is going to do something awful at some point. I just know it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Oberstein is definitely one of the more fascinating characters to discuss as the show goes on.

Oberstein is probably my second favourite character right now (after clearly neutral Reinhard), and I am just waiting for him to do something (or influence Reinhards to do something) unquestionably evil and immoral. He will. I am just waiting for it. He is walking distrust.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, he will be cool and someone I like the entire time, but he is gonna do some evil poo poo. He strikes me as a guy who doesn't let things like 'morals' or 'laws' get in his way.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
He did save him for that reason, but the way I see it he is effectively placing Oberstein on his personal team to 'counsel' him, to give him advice and help him strategise. The same position Kircheis currently holds, basically. That will create conflict.

What I was trying to say is that I think there will come a time where both Kircheis and Oberstein have different plans for how to proceed, and that Oberstein's will definitely be the more questionable plan in terms of consequences, it will be a bolder and more risky plan, which puts people (or possibly even Reinhard/Kircheis themselves) in danger but has a greater chance of success. Kircheis is the caution and conservative planning in Reinhard's reckless life, and Oberstein seems like he will be the one who lets the reins loose instead.

The thing I was saying about Reinhard's sister was that Annerose has explicitly said to Kircheis that she wants him to look after Reinhard for her. It was when Reinhard went indoors to get more wine when Reinhard and Kircheis were visiting her. She seems to imply that she wants to keep Reinhard safe from himself. Adding Oberstein into the mix, who does not have those instructions, is a dangerous proposition for Kircheis. Likewise, at the end of that episode, as Kicheis refuses the wine, we see Oberstein enter the room as Kircheis leaves, and Kircheis' face is one of uncertainty. Oberstein is already influencing Reinhard

That is basically what I was getting at.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Oberstein is the Hitler of the show - both morally compromised men who really like dogs and that were correct in the end.

Uuuuhhhhhh I mean,

e: When writing this extremely accurate analogy, I remembered the incredibly hamfisted way Gihren is called by his dad "literally Hitler" in Gundam 0079 - does LoGH have any direct references to our history? I remember the Heinessen episodes mention old history, but there's never any direct connection to Earth, right?

If we can take the footage that Yang was viewing in the movie to not be a fictional appropriation of images and instead to be genuine history within that universe, then we can assume that LOGH takes place in our human timeline. What he is watching appeared to be a documentary of some form about our own wars. It is obscured and unclear, but some of the uniforms in it looked like American Civil War uniforms (specifically the caps in one image), and others like Napoleonic era uniforms, as well as an image that is greatly resembling paintings of Napoleon himself riding a white horse, down to Napoleon's iconic hat. I take that to be a nod that LOGH takes place in a continuation of our own history.

e; real life painting

image in LOGH

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 1, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Just listened to this. Another Person gets so much poo poo from you two. Hang in there, AP!

You guys have a great show going. It's a shame you talk rather softly because I usually listen to podcasts when I'm driving and I cannot make you guys out when I'm on the highway.

Thanks for the support, the struggle for the truth is hard against Mikey and RB but I think I will pull through and prove them wrong. I got some big guns coming, I think I will win this endless war against me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
And clearly that family has a thing for him too. What, with the whole "towelling down in the nude together in front of Reinhard's sister" thing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
alternative title for the upcoming episode: AP's Grand Predictions

you better back my corner you guys. i am gonna be so right. i am making the most ridiculous predictions.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

You folks should write them down.

I will write mine up and post them in here when the next episode goes live. Some might get cut out, because mikey edits these. If it were me editing, you would be getting the RAW LOGH CAST, which would also include a lot of me stating my point and then mikey calling me crazy.

Mikey isn't making predictions because he is boring and refuses to play my game. Randombattle is making a couple, but they are like the lowest level predictions. I am making... grand predictions. They will all be correct.

Actually, I will put my predictions here now, but I will spoiler them in case someone really wants to hear me say them live. I have no idea what will get cut, so I don't know what you will hear anyway. I will add some reasoning if I can.

1. Kircheis will die this season. He has to, he is far too affable and likeable to live in this world. Reinhard needs something to change his character, it is too stable right now, and the death of Kircheis would do just that. There are only two people in this world that matter to him - Kircheis and his sister. Losing one of them would be a change that makes sense, as it would strike into his heart an emptiness and loneliness. It might even make him question his ideals? Why this season (or I guess the first episode of next season which could also work if you want to go for a crazy cliffhanger)? There needs to be something climactic to end things on which changes everything.
2. Oberstein will do something abhorrent. I think the scorched earth plan initiated in the episodes we just covered in the upcoming session was his plan, and put that on him. However, if that is not enough for me to win this prediction, he will probably do something even worse very soon. Oberstein just seems like he is a poo poo house rat who will do the wrong things to meet his goals.
3. There will be a civil war in the empire between the nobles and Reinhard. They allude to the possibility, and I think it will erupt very soon. I am not sure how long it will last, but it feels like with how much of the season we have left, it will end at the resolution of this season. Reinhard, naturally, will win. This one is obvious - Reinhard wants rid of the nobles, and he needs to consolidate power.
4. There will probably be a civil war in the FPA too, or something which massively changes the administration like a coup which forces a military adminstration. It just has to happen, very soon. There is no way you wage such a huge war, and lose so many men in a single battle and do not face heavy repercussions back home. Yang will not side with whatever happens, and will probably have to fight it because he is a nice guy. Yang does not seem like the sort of person who would agree with the forced assumption of government. Likewise, he is stationed at Iserlohn from now on - he is too far from the centre of political power to actually be part of it.
5. Yang will eventually resign from the military and retire. Probably next season? But he will get pulled back in, because he is just too valuable and he has too big a bleeding heart.
6. Yang will die before the end of the show. Before the final season, even. Probably season 3? Mid-late season 3. In the recording, I initially guess end of Season 2-mid Season 3, but I feel like it will be mid Season 3 more and more now. It feels like a natural point, especially when I consider that at some point Yang will have to retire and get pulled back in. Why? Because Reinhard, after losing Kircheis, will need Yang in his life. As an enemy, or maybe friend, but a rival nonetheless. Yang seems like the only person who can possibly oppose Reinhard, and Reinhard is bloodthirsty and perceptive enough to notice this, and he wants that competition in his life. He cannot do without it. As such, to throw Reinhard further into turmoil, Yang needs to die.
7. The FPA will totally lose the war at some point, probably in Season 2 or 3.
8. When the FPA loses the war, it will go quiet for a while. Then the war will reignite over something or other, somehow. Rebellion maybe? Subjugating a people which is the same size of you in one war probably won't be the last thing you hear of them.
9. When Yang dies, Julian will take over. He idolises Yang too much, he admires the guy, and would probably continue to fight for Yang's ideals.
10. Phezzan will probably fall. Season 2? It does not feel like it can survive as an independent power when Reinhard wants to control the whole universe. It will fall before the FPA, because who would see it coming except a crazy person like me. How it falls I do not know, but it probably will not be from a siege. Doesn't seem in line with what Phezzan does.
11. Rubinsky will not die when Phezzan falls. He will probably escape. He might bend the knee to Reinhard in return for service? He seems too self confident to do that however. He will probably continue plotting and acting from the shadows, like the smooth operator he is.
12. The Earth Cult will largely stay behind the scenes, as in they will not be a central focus until maybe season 4. However, they will do things, possibly big things, in season 2 and 3. Whatever they do in season 3 will be what draws attention to them to solidify them as a threat which needs dealing with. There is no way that Mr. Black Cloak and Spooky Hologram in the dark is just going to be a side function to this story.

e; also that handsome rosen ritter fella has to die at some point.

If you are wondering why so many of my predictions which involve death revolve around Reinhard - I see him as the protagonist of this show. This is his story, but there are a lot of characters. This show feels like a biopic of Reinhard.

e2; also DO NOT TELL ME if I have got these things right, or mikey or Randombattle. there is a certain joy i will get out of being right and them being wrong considering how hostile they are to my predictions. I want to watch the episodes for that week, and then spend the rest of it grinning to myself because I was right.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 18, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I have a feeling that this podcast is just going to get better and better. I like how AP is clearly coming from a very different background than the other two (I do wince at your historical analysis every once in a while, especially the Caesar stuff, but whatever) and it gives him a very different perspective on the show than the other two.

It's worth remembering that this series was originally a series of books and is noteworthy for being a reasonably faithful adaptation (though supposedly the new LOGH series will be even more faithful somehow, or at least that's what they claim) and wasn't originally written by professional anime screenwriters like most anime. Also, it was direct-to-video and was never intended for a mainstream audience (an audience who buys thousands of dollars of laserdiscs is by definition not mainstream).

I won't try and force historical stuff if it doesn't seen apparent. The Caesar thing was just a very easy one to spot because a) everyone on that planet wore togas and robes, dressing like stereotypical Romans despite being in space and b) it ended with everyone in the room stabbing that fucker personally. It was very clearly a Caesar reference they were going for there, so I felt like I had to tip the hat that I knew what they were playing with there. If I see something like that, I will probably just mention it briefly. Roman politics is not exactly my speciality at all, so there wasn't much due I could give there.

Also, if in future episodes you find it odd why I focus in on and find the political stuff more interesting: I study politics at university, and read a boatload of history in my free time. As such, I like giving a nod to things I notice which I find interesting. Yang and me have something in common, and something that sets us apart. A love of history, and a relationship with politics. If I find something particularly interesting with a political background, to save it being in the main recording and taking something like 20 minutes since mikey and randombattle don't like politics or political discussion at all, I might end up going off on my own and recording a supplemental thing which you definitely won't need to watch. I feel like I might want to do that at some point, to explore and discuss the background of the paths of thought that I feel like the characters are going to take. Mikey would only edit it out anyway, because it would take too long on one point, plus when I am in a group I tend to get sidetracked with playing the fool and having a laugh more than trying to defend my point with genuine arguments.

As an aside, you will find increasingly that randombattle and mikey insist that this should be read as anime, and I kinda just disregard that. Why? Mikey told me to come into this with no preconceptions because I am an anime hater. As such, I came in with none. At all. I am not watching this as anime, and I am watching it in the same way I would watch something like Mad Men or The Wire, etc. I am not suggesting it is as deep, but I am watching it in the same way, where I am trying to pay attention and look a little deeper. It doesn't really even feel like anime either, which helps.

They keep insisting it won't go for anything deeper than "two big sides in a war against each other big heroes big bad guys", but I feel like it is gonna try harder than that, and go for something like the value of democracy, power, etc, maybe not as the main thrust but it will probably be a recurring issue. Since it wasn't made as mainstream anime nor has roots in trying to be mainstream, it has the more free reign to try going for something like that, and I think they will. Hence why you will see my apprehension to the other guys saying that Yang will eventually become the leader of the FPA both politically and militarily. I feel like something more mainstream will tell a story like that, because it is in their interests to keep the story more even sided, to maintain suspense. However, if I were to make something like this, where mainstream recognition is not an issue, I would not have to worry about having Yang be more weary of assuming total power, considering his wealth of historical knowledge of how leaders tend to act when assuming the position of the head of state and army. We've already seen them address issues of corruption, the noblesse oblige and its flaws, the insufficiencies of democracy vs. the fast action of autocracy. I don't think it is unreasonable they will go further, in the 100 episodes they have to work with.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 20, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I'm not caught up with the podcast so I apologize if this something that's already been explained, but why is LOGH being anime mutually exclusive with it addressing those issues?

It is more randombattle saying "this won't happen because this is an anime and I know how anime works" and I'm like "eeehhh, I disagree"

e; basically, the other guys are making assumptions on a totally different basis to me because I am intentionally trying to reject my basic assumptions. The capability of anime addressing them isn't the issue, it is the tendency of whether anime usually does with shows made for mainstream appeal. I am assuming greatly that they are going for more niche appeal.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 20, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Are all three of you doing this blind? I thought you had one guy who'd seen it already.

We thought someone had seen it all when we were planning it, but it turns out none of us had really broken the first few episodes. So, blind. I am the blindest - I had never heard of it before the other guys asked me to do it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Actually, question. When you say this was originally a series of books, do you mean regular books, or comic book collections of manga? I went into this assuming it was the latter. If it is just regular novels, then it kinda compounds my feelings that this is going to be more of a niche appeal instead of a mainstream one, and will go into detail on the issues I am discussing more. If you can't tell, I did like no research before going into this. I am just watching the show, and saying what I think and feel.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

I'm not sure you understand what it is I edit out and why. If you has genuinely insightful and interesting things to say it would likely not get cut because it would be insightful and interesting.

It's mainly this that I cut, and only when the joke goes past its prime. I end up cutting numerous goofs that just don't land, from all three of us. Most of the actual conversation stays in.

e: Primarily I'm saying don't make an extra file. Just say what you're going to say in here. If you really want you can record it separately and I'll insert it like a special segment or something, especially if you can pare it down to a reasonable length.

I mean more that when I try to go serious and address something, and it turns into political or slightly more obscure historical discussion, you guys are just way less interested so it just generally devolves into goofs because rather than get into a debate with you about the ethical qualities of the state it is probably smarter for both time and peoples interest to let it turn into a joke and die than drag it out for 25 mins with you guys just kinda feeling bored. Don't wanna do that to you.

I actually held myself back last session because you just kinda weren't interested in episodes 13 and 14 in the way I was, in how it showed the brutalities of war on the citizens or subjects (the classification of which is a debate in itself) of the realm. Instead of having what I mention above happen when I want to hone in on something you might not find insightful or interesting just due to your general interests not lining up with mine and then it falling into goofs and nothing because I realise after starting the conversation that you aren't too interested in say... the changing loyalties of peasants or the brutality of a scorched earth policy (I could have and would have, if you were interested, gone into the history of scorched earth a bit, and when it is banned and why), just instead mention it as an aside thing and then hone in on it elsewhere on my own. That way we keep things rolling without AP's long, one sided recanting of a thing he found interesting but nobody else did. I sat around for 20 minutes after last session and thought to myself how I should really try and address those issues if you guys didn't find much in them but I did, and I figured it would be best to just mention it and then move on, then look at it again myself in a different video.

Besides, it would definitely help you to have less of me trying to go back to it to find where I finally stopped talking about the pains of the chevauchee (which I would have discussed if I felt you guys wanted to talk about it) on the people. Plus, you know reasonable length is not really my thing anyway. I am finding things I can really go in depth on, and I kind of want to in a totally separate video. Someone might find it interesting in some regard.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Nonsense I keep recommending it I'm the giant bomb thread

Also it's from a book series, but a manga adaptation has just begun recently

puhlease captain, like I read all of those anime recs you make. if I did, I would be an anime scholar of the highest class!

e; i do need to watch erased tho, that is sound and i will vouch for it

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 20, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
My life is a burning pile of tires, polluting the world around it. Sorry guys, sooner or later we will see all my predictions proven correct.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

To the podcasters: one reason you might already like Reuenthal is because he's voiced by the great Norio Wakamoto, who is basically ADTRW's patron saint.

I do not know who this man is, so that means nothing to me. I like him just because he seems like a serious guy so far.

Nate RFB posted:

To be blunt you guys are getting kind of insufferable whenever you talk about Yang. It's like watching someone watching The Wire for the first time and they wind up saying "That Stringer Bell, since he's always winning he must be the good guy!"

British idiot here, just thought I'd chip in and interact. I like Yang, but I do not think he is the Good Guy. My view is that this show does not have a good guy, it has protagonists. I try to argue it every now and then, but end up giving up. Nobody in this show is really good. They still run a career based off of killing many hundred of thousands, or millions of men, either on the enemy side or on their own via what I see happening but which is not commented on, acceptable losses (we have so many men, we can't lose sorta poo poo, where their plan involves a human wave a la WW1 Russia). Even Yang, who of all seems to be the most conservative with his own base of men, protecting their lives over winning at all costs, is not clean of being in the business of legitimised violence as an arm of the state. His actions are not good, as he is actively murdering many thousands to see the ends of his (or those of others) goals, and he is not bad because he is not doing it illegitimately (some old Weberian state monopoly on use of violence thinking) nor is he doing it out of some unjust cause (or at least, the cause of the war is not his so that responsibility does not necessarily lie with him). From a moral sense, Yang is not a particularly good guy, but he is just in his actions.

Anyway, that is just my read.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 31, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

He means that Reunthal being voiced by a god-tier actor goes a long way towards making you enjoy the character

To be honest, when the voice acting is not in my own language I tend not to listen to the actual VA, instead focussing harder on the musical scoring, the subtitles, and the scenery, so I cannot and probably would not recognise Reuental, Yang, Reinhard, or even my darling red head wonder, Kircheis. If I saw another show where Reuental's actor cropped up, without the actors actual face, I would be extremely unlikely to actually recognise the VA from somewhere else.

e; if you might wonder why I ignore the VA of unfamiliar languages, it is because I would rather spend my efforts focussing in on things I can interpret and understand. Because I do not know how natural, native Japanese speech sounds, I couldn't tell if a VA is good or bad really.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 31, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Emotion is universal. We may not be able to understand the words, but the emotional content of the spoken word can convey a LOT of information, regardless of whether or not we understand the specifics of what is being said.

Though, if that isn't your thing, you do you boo boo. This show is great anyway.

I pay attention to the sound of it, so naturally I can pick out emotion. Just not any effort into trying to recognise voices, phrases, etc., because I know I will never really recognise them. Like, it is pretty hard to not notice for example, someone bawling on screen. But I probably could not tell you the difference of quality between two voice actors who are trying to VA a line where their character is supposed to be stressed or unhappy or something like that if it was in another language. I don't really know how the sentence would sound normally, nor would I pick up stiff or wooden acting.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 31, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Reuenthal is not a guy who puts a lot of easily read emotion into his words. He spits venom a few times, but usually he was one of those Japanese General archetypes.

That said, I think you're still subconsciously recognizing and interpreting verbal tones and poo poo. LoGH has a lot of monologues though...

If I put a lot more time into watching purely Japanese shows, then I would probably be able to pick up on emotional acting quality in that language more easily, but as is I do not really watch much anime at all. I was the guy who came into this having watched very, very little anime.

And even then, while I like Reuental because he is a cool looking dude, we haven't seen much of him yet. I expect he will become a mainstay as Reinhard accumulates more and more power, just because he seems central to the current group Reinhard is running. Him and Mittermeyer being recommended to take Kircheis' slot as right hand in the navy says that they have a lot of curried favour. Right now I haven't really heard him talk much, so I haven't really even had much of a chance to get to know his VA at all. He has probably had like 8 lines?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Good last ep. If you guys ever do decide you want more LOGH let us know.

I am very curious to see how the books handle Reinhard in ep 26 basically throwing down the gauntlet to Reuenthal and saying that if he ever wants to try to seize power, come at me bro. It's a fascinating scene because Reuenthal has been such a nonentity that it feels totally out of the blue, but I like the idea that Reuenthal just caught a glimpse of Reinhard in a moment of unguarded vulnerability and grief. Even if Reuenthal wasn't important yet, hearing Reinhard say that makes him important.

If you want more LOGH poo poo, just hit me up. I will be going on to watch the rest of the show and could record my thoughts on it as I go by if you want (it doesn't take much work for me), and probably find other people who would join in (more work, but more fun). It probably would not be a 4 episode per session deal tho.

e; If I went solo, I would probably script it a little better with a list of things to discuss so there is less "errr" like this one, because I recorded this in a hell of a rush.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 4, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Not gonna pore through 200 posts to see if people have discussed the translated books in depth, but I am gonna drop my two cents. I have finished book 1, and am 1/3 through book 2, with book 3 on the way. I will probably have finished 2 by the time 3 arrives.

The books are good - ignore people who say the translation is off. In book one I noted a grand total of one grammatical error and 4 spelling errors, which is better than most native English novels, and in my experience better than most academic texts. I have noted 2 errors in book 2. The books have a good flow and are nice and accessible, if a bit dry in tone. However, dryness is to be expected considering the nature of the story. Some of the characterisation is a tiny bit different. Yang in particular seems a little less hopeless compared to the anime, however the books note on his alcohol intake a lot more. Ultimately I find the different characterisation more interesting however. My only real issue is the continual referring to the beauty of characters and their eyes. I am not forgetting that Reinhard has ambitious eyes, you don't need to remind me every 40 pages.

I recommend the books.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I am so looking forward to starting Volume 3.

If you haven't heard, volumes 4-6 are definitely getting translated. 7-10 will depend on sales.

Did you ever watch any more of the show?

Yup, I am aware of the continuation of translations and intend to support them with my wallet as much as I can. I have 3 on order already, and will buy the rest as they become available. Gotta pay the maker somehow, because I certainly am not capable of the $1000 anime. I am enjoying the books a lot, so I have no issue paying full price on release day for them, plus I need to show my respect somehow.

I watched the whole show after we finished the podcast. Basically binge watched it to distract myself from lovely things happening in my life around me at the time (2016 started in 2015 for me), and it did a fantastic job of providing that distraction. It should probably come as no shock to learn that I really liked the show, considering I was the one giving it the most glowing reception of us all.

I was happy to see that pretty much all of my bullshit predictions came true, with all of my timing predictions being pretty on the nose too. Dismayed I didn't get to actually grin and rub it in my cohosts faces that I was right though. I just reread them, and it looks more like a spoiler list than a prediction list, it was just so on point in so many places. I guess I really got into the characters, to understand how and when things would need a shakeup. If I was wrong about the civil wars though, literally all of my predictions would have been wrong probably. As I got more and more of my predictions right the show kinda fell into being maybe a bit too predictable - the only thing I didn't see coming by the end was the sudden death of Rein. I kind of expected him to die relatively young like many great conquerors - Alexander the Great, Napoleon, William the Conqueror, Mehmed the Conqueror (conquerors do not seem to ever make it to 60) - and for the show to cover it in some fashion due to it being almost a biopic of his life. After all, by that point in the show it was playing with the concept of "will Rein's successor be the same in rulership as he was?" The way in which I expected it to cover it was via a timeskip though, to jump forward a few years and show his death and discuss the immediate proceedings. Sorta like when they covered the successors to Rudolf.

LOGH may as well have been made for me. The anime I was forced to watch (forced to watch because it was expected that I would hate it, no less) turned out to be something I deeply enjoyed.

I also watched some of Gaiden too. Last week, actually. It is what made me check on the books to see if they were out yet. Need to finish it mind. One Hundred Billion Stars is very good, as is Spiral Labyrinth. I enjoyed them both thoroughly. I kinda wish I had seen both of them before the rest of the show though, because they fit neatly into that position, plus they give some backstory which would have been nice going in on characters like Schonkopp. They were basically two additional seasons of the show, one covering more of Rein, and the other kinda covering Yang, but also fleshing out a lot of FPA history which was kinda missing compared to the empire.

My only real issue with LOGH is that it kinda beats you around the head with moral theory on just wars without really getting too deep into any actual theory. Just hand wringing over "is this good???" without any real substance. Despite raising the issue internally none of the protagonist or perspective characters ever really seem to settle on a set of beliefs past "this war thing is a bit poo poo," and that feels like a bit of a cop out to me. In a show so full of deeply cynical and well reasoned characters they never really do much to provide distinct perspectives on a just war, they just talk around it. Only Oberstein and Trunicht really get slotted into a position which is distinctive. But that is coming from a guy who has spent the past 4 years looking at moral theory, power and the state, so perhaps my expectations are a bit much for a science fiction series.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think that is a shot taken from the Alliance invasion into the Empire.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Amazon can't seem to find a copy for me to send out. They have been searching for stock since it came out, despite me preordering a while back now. rip me

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
This looks incredibly ugly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEm5aaWHgI

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The CGI looks really tacky and while it might not look awful to you in the trailer, remember that it will account for more than 50% of some episodes, using CG which already looks massively aged. I also think the designs of all the characters is way off.

I am trying not to be a reactionary nerd about it, but so much of this feels like missed marks to me. It is too pretty.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Rein is basically unchanged. Kircheis is supposed to be quite a tall, strong lad, I don't mind him being bigger (but they took his nose in exchange for his strength). Yang sorta looks too... tidy? I guess. He is supposed to have this unkempt look about him, with untidy hair. He looks too strong, too confident.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It probably doesn't help that I detest the sports anime look they went for with it in basically anything. It looks like I am going to watch them play tennis or go swimming.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
yeah hes like in his 30s, nowhere near 22

rein is 22

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
this was not a terrible trainwreck but i still did not think it was actually good

old version looks better, the new ost is terrible (not like i expected it to match what is literally a collection of the best classical music ever), and rein and kircheis' relationship is not nearly homoerotic enough for me

also yang in that end of episode speech was just way too confident, so i hope they haven't taken too many character liberties to make him more a marketable protagonist by not making him into a lazy, depressed drinker

im gonna continue to give it a chance, because this property will never get another chance, but maaaaaaan.

e; also the CG, like I originally thought, already looks dated to me. this won't have a timeless feel like the original because of that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

It is weird that we didn't even see Yang drink alcohol yet.

Also, wasn't some idiot Imperial Admiral supposed to die from Yang's counter attack?

it is because this yang isn't depressed

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i dunno man, in both the book and the second episode of the original he jumps straight to alcoholic tea

im not sure this yang is going to be a drinker

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
it will ramp up, so on episode 5 he will be a heavy drinker because there are only 12 eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
it is more than 2 movies

iirc it was 3 movies

but yes, this series is only 12 episodes which is part of why I am so incredibly sketchy about it. at this pace, it has to be a whistlestop tour of the biggest battles of the galactic heroes, with none of the drama.