Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If something contributes to worldbuilding in a meaningful way it's not filler. If nothing else, even if you only take it as an infodump, it contributes to Julian's character growth since it shows he's starting to think about history and politics more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Reinhard is perfect, but that's because he's supposed to be the prettiest of the anime pretty boys. Not really sold on Yang or Kircheis, but I want to see what other characters end up looking like as well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

It's not like the ovas were a particularly remarkable achievement of animation. The designs were standard for the time and the show itself was pretty stiff. The biggest issue is that there's no way this show is getting the like 75 episodes minimum you'd need to actually cover the story

The OVAs had a consistent style that was absolutely perfect for the series. The other aspects of the animation may have been average, but style is just as, if not more, important. The preview doesn't give much to make a comparison though, showing only 3 major characters out of a cast with dozens.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

No anime has ever shown a character in his or her 30s, except maybe by adding a small beard to a younger model.

The OVAs made Yang look too old to be in his 20s and too young to be in his 40s.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well, the OVAs also have Dusty. It saddens me to think of a LoGH without Dusty.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It's been a while since I last watched those episodes, but my memory has basically been that the first 5-8 episodes are kind of slow, and getting past them is the requirement to become well and properly hooked. You're on a good road.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It's not hard to tell what's a preview and what's not because all previews follow the credits and start with the same musical jingle. If there's an extra scene at the end they instead put the credits over it with an instrumental version of the opening theme. I don't believe there's any post-credits scenes that aren't previews.

Very late edit: it's orchestral versions of the credits music, not the opening music. So stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL_Mxa9kztI

which are also some of my favourite parts of the show. The scene of Geiesburg transporting to right in front of an allied fleet is instantly evoked in my mind when I listen to them.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 30, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It is a staple character arc LoGH employs, and does it often enough that I have to consider it a fault: to introduce a major character, and show you how good they are, they are shown either fighting alongside or against complete idiots in order to look good by comparison. It breaks immersion (you'd expect two powers who have been at war for over a century to have at least figured the basics of warfare out) and it makes the geniuses of the series feel less than they are supposed to be (Reinhard's a genius... but only because the entire rest nobility class is borderline worthless, really, and it doesn't really take a genius to surpass them).

I get that we're seeing both the Empire and the Alliance at a point in time where their leadership has grown decadent and incompetent, but it's a narrative device that's used a bit too frequently, in my opinion. The silver lining in there is that by the halfway point the cast has become generally well-established and so those plot threads also thin out.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Pomp posted:

how does the most relatable and factual thing in the series break your immersion

What bothers me is not the degree to which it is there, as much as how often the series uses it as a narrative device. It ends up feeling cheap, caricaturish.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno, "one weird trick to instantly nullify any technological advantage the enemy has that everyone actually seems to be aware of, and the destructive potential of, but nobody has done before because ?????" is less technical minutiae and more colossal plot gaffe

Like they all know exactly how powerful that is. So why aren't they doing it all the time, if you can smash an empty cruiser at lightspeed into an opposing fleet and wipe it out instantly, and explicitly know of this, how is it not the go-to attack plan from day 1

It's less technical minutiae and more makes the previous commanders all look like gigantic, horrifying idiot monsters for sacrificing unknown numbers of lives instead of taking the most direct route to victory that seems to have zero drawbacks whatsoever.

Never mind an empty cruiser, just do a Big LoGH and strap hyperspace drives on a bunch of asteroids, then send them into the flagship/death star/starkiller base/whatever. Ultimately it was a movie about characters rather than space battles, so I didn't personally mind it but does raise the question of "wait why wasn't this tech used before".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I was fearing for a trainwreck and very thankfully this looks like it will not be one. Hopefully it manages to hold up long-term too.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There is one thing that bugged me and that was the placement of the Alliance fleets; supposedly they're about to encircle Reinhard's fleet but they're all coming from roughly the same direction. I'll need someone to confirm this, but I recall them in the OVAs being shown as having already surrounded Reinhard, and that made it make more sense that a bold and sudden movement from his fleet would succeed in surprising them and killing the first fleet before the others could react. In this it felt like the FPA fleets should've been close enough to each other to join in battle pretty much instantly. I know the episode makes a point on the Alliance admirals being idiots who don't give a poo poo but even so.

DamnGlitch posted:

I hate that the guns act like star wars blasters rather than lasers/beams. It feels much less impactful. It turns the valkyrie capital ship sinkings from "holy poo poo" moments to "ok." moments.

Seeing fighters again brought up a funny thought tho: It's kinda weird that out of allll the cast in LoGH, we don't have a fighter pilot or squadron on the Empire side that gets any attention, or even a name. Maybe it's there's one in the gaiden eps, but considering we have the Feddy squad with pippen et al, that there's not even a glimpse of the other side's is strange.

Tbh I didn't mind the guns being blasters too much because seeing the barrage coming at the Alliance ships was a really good shot.

For fighter pilots; I don't really think we ever focus on anyone fighting on the Empire side that isn't a high-ranking officer? Closest we get is Emil and he's not exactly a soldier.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Xun posted:

Soo what kind of a show is this? Am I expecting decent-ish strategical fights? Or is it more like political intrigue/drama stuff? Just watched the first episode and tbh I'm not super impressed with the magical jamming that means the enemy can't see, hear, or notice that they can't. If this is more of a politics/drama instead of space fight show I think that'd be okay.

You'll get a lot of intrigue and political critique.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah itís like 70 episodes of map battles and nondescript hallways until the show finally has a half dead soldier staring at his own organs.

I'm pretty sure that scene is shown relatively early in the series and then just repeated later on. I can't remember exactly which battle it's on but I'm pretty sure about this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The way I understood it is that navigation mapping for fast travel requires star systems to be somewhat close to each other. Without it you have to use a prohibitively slower form of FTL which is why Ale Heinessen and his crew needed like 80 years for their travel; they were going blind through an unchartable part of space until they reached the other galactic arm.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

skasion posted:

The way the original show presents it, the Reich is in one galactic arm, the Alliance is in another, and the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors are the only lightspeed routes between the two arms because otherwise you'll run into poorly-explained interstellar thing that blows you up. This makes no sense at all obviously. The way this show presents it, the Reich and the Alliance seem to be separated by some kind of nebula-type feature and presumably the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors take you through holes in it. This doesn't make much sense either but who cares.

That's a way in which the show is inconsistent with itself, though; we see the one ship hit the "edge" of the corridor and get blown up, but by far the biggest exposure unmapped travel gets is Ale Heinessen's journey. That journey is presented as going blind from one spiral arm to the other - which is possible, in FTL even, but is one which without proper navigation, takes decades to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I feel Reinhard is portrayed as too socially immature to grasp romantic tension that's happening around him, and I don't blame fanartists for ignoring Annerose given she's not given much as a character. All the meaningful looks between Kircheis and Annerose can't possibly attract the same attention as Reinhard playing with a lock of Kircheis' hair.